Page 2 of 150 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: New Goldman Sachs Headquarters - 200 West Street - by Henry Cobb of Pei Cobb Freed

I was thinking about one of the WTC towers also, but if there is a tenant for 1.5 msf of space, that would speed things up a lot. Of course, the Freedom Tower has to get underway before any of the other towers can begin, so we're looking at least until 2005 before any of the other towers could begin. If the site is the lot accross West St, construction could begin immediately.

I'm guessing this would also rule out building an underground garage on that site, but maybe not.

Anyway, great for Downtown! At one point, Goldman was thinking of building 3 towers at its Jersey City site....

130 Liberty is my guess.

That would be great. Stick it to the Libeskind plan and build a 1000 footer there.

I searched around (even the Goldman stock message board) and found an article in Crain's Business that repeated the WSJ article, only adding that Goldman was not available for comment.

130 Liberty is my guess.
    Speaking of which, does anyone know what's going on with the building? It appears that the facade is being replaced.

I think its temporary to keep the elements out during the winter now that its been de-molded.

Quote Originally Posted by JMGarcia
    130 Liberty is my guess.

That could be it, but it depends on the timeframe Goldman is talking though. We're looking at 10 years down the road for the Deutshe Bank site to be built out, and Goldman would have to go through Silverstein, the PA, and the state to get that site which is neccessary for the Silverstein to get 10 msf of space.

The only other logical option would be the already empty and 1.6 to 2 msf zoned lot in BPC...(upper left)

Forum Veteran

Goldman Sachs is in talks with Brookfeil Properties to build the Tower at BPC 26. The WTC rebuilding is a mess and will take years to get started, this is the only site that is possible for them

Thanks. Another possibility is that with the visibility of site 2 B Goldman Sachs might compliment its building in Jersey City. A twin; or somehow else visually connect the two.

Forum Veteran

i wish the would reconsider turning 5-b in tribeca to residential and build there, it is suppose to be about 1.5 million sf

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    Thanks. Another possibility is that with the visibility of site 2 B Goldman Sachs might compliment its building in Jersey City. A twin; or somehow else visually connect the two.
    It would have an effect much like the 2IFC in Hong Kong. It woul be like a gate entrance with two similar towers on each side.

Before 09/11, Goldman Sachs was leasing 260,000 sq ft from Brookfield at 1 Liberty Plaza.

Goldman also has lots of space at 1 Seaport Plaza...

Forum Veteran

Is the 1.5mil close to what they have now, b/c now they have a mini campus centered around Water St. I ask this b/c I hope it doesn't mean more people to JC.

Nyguy posted at ssp:

Daily News...

Downtown plan for Goldman
    Lot near Ground Zero may be site of new HQ

By LORE CROGHAN

Preliminary plans for the new Goldman headquarters would place the skyscraper across from Ground Zero.

Goldman Sachs is looking at a parking lot across from Ground Zero for its new worldwide corporate headquarters.

It would be the first time in 15 years that an office tenant has built its own skyscraper downtown.

Sources told the Daily News that the location Goldman is considering is on the northwest corner of Vesey and West streets, known as Site 26.

Lower Manhattan's largest landlord, Brookfield Properties, controls the development rights at the Battery Park City location. It's zoned for a 1.8 million-square-foot commercial building.

The Wall Street Journal first reported Goldman's plan to build a new headquarters near the site of the World Trade Center, but did not specify where the investment bank wants to build.

Both Goldman and Brookfield declined comment yesterday on the plan. But a spokesman for the bank was willing to put in a good word about downtown - which financial firms like Lehman Brothers deserted after Sept. 11.

"Goldman Sachs has been headquartered downtown for 134 years," said Lucas van Praag. "We're committed to remaining here."

Sources cautioned that Goldman's plan is preliminary. If the firm can't flesh out a deal with favorable terms, it will stay put in its current headquarters at 85 Broad St.

Still, the prospective project is already being hailed as good news for the disaster-scarred neighborhood, which has been struggling to rebuild since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11.

"This is a signal for others - of downtown's stability and revitalization," said Carl Weisbrod, president of the Alliance for Downtown New York.

He added that the project would be an ideal candidate for tax-exempt Liberty Bonds, which the federal government created to assist in the rebuilding of lower Manhattan.

The Vesey Street skyscraper would consolidate personnel from Goldman's one million-square-foot office on Broad Street, as well as locations at 1 New York Plaza, 32 Old Slip and 180 Maiden Lane.

Leases at those buildings expire in five years.

Goldman has been scouting sites for a new headquarters for about three years, and recently narrowed its focus to Site 26.

It considered various development sites and existing buildings along the way - but kept its focus on downtown.

Loyalty aside, Goldman has good reason to stay in the neighborhood, sources said.

It isn't interested in relocating its headquarters to midtown because some of its people will be moving to Jersey City next year, to a stunning new tower designed by Cesar Pelli.

If it builds on Vesey Street, its two buildings will be just a Path train ride apart.

Hopefully Brookfield doesnt build another CIBC Tower here, hopefully Goldman Sachs is in control of their own design program. Its unfortunate that Brookfield is Olympia and York's predecessor and controls many of their former assets. Olympia and York was very ambitious, which had also resulted in their demise.