Page 8 of 150 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: New Goldman Sachs Headquarters - 200 West Street - by Henry Cobb of Pei Cobb Freed

I have not been downtown in months... Come to think of it, I haven't been on this site in months either.

I was completely unaware of this great news. Glad I dropped by.

Forum Veteran

WB Chris!

Quote Originally Posted by Gulcrapek
    40 floors. Not sure how that can be 800 feet. But then again, JC's Goldman Sachs tower did it, so I guess it can be similar here. I like the description of the building. Slender buildings are good, and curved facades on the waterfront are better.
    How many floors are in Goldman's JC tower? Anyway, with trading floors, they can get 800' from a 40 story building. Look at the B of A in Midtown, it will be 960 with only 56 floors!

Gulcrapek wrote:
    40 floors. Not sure how that can be 800 feet. But then again, JC's Goldman Sachs tower did it, so I guess it can be similar here. I like the description of the building. Slender buildings are good, and curved facades on the waterfront are better.

How many floors are in Goldman's JC tower? Anyway, with trading floors, they can get 800' from a 40 story building. Look at the B of A in Midtown, it will be 960 with only 56 floors!
    Right, this is how:

The size of the site allows Goldman to stack six large trading floors at the base of the building, as well as floors with a gym, cafeteria and conference rooms, topped by a tower.

Designed by Pei, Cobb, Freed & Partners, Goldman's proposed tower would mark a break with the four bulky, boxy office buildings at World Financial Center, which were built in the 1980's.
    Im susceptible.

It sounds like it will be a beautiful, curved building....

NY Post...

GOLDMAN PUSHES FOR 'GREEN' TOWER

By WILLIAM NEUMAN

April 17, 2004 -- Goldman Sachs is pushing ahead with plans for a 2-million-square-foot downtown office tower that would have a rounded glass façade overlooking the Hudson River and environmentally friendly features that could make it one of the first of a new wave of "green" commercial buildings.

Although it has yet to work out a deal to lease the plot of land where the tower would go - catercorner from Ground Zero at Vesey and West Streets - Goldman has gone so far as to pay for architectural plans and a $350,000 environmental impact statement being prepared by the site's owner, Battery Park City Authority.

The firm has also submitted a zoning proposal for the site to the city's Planning Dept., which is scheduled to vote on the project next Monday.

Goldman entered into negotiations with the BPCA for the site late last year, but the deal was complicated by a long-running feud between Battery Park officials and Brookfield Properties, which owns the World Financial Center.

Brookfield claims that it controls development rights to the parcel - the last commercial site in Battery Park City.

That set the stage for a battle of the titans between Goldman and Brookfield, but while the two began discussions with dramatically divergent positions sources said progress has been made toward a deal under which Brookfield would receive a substantial fee to relinquish its claim.

BPCA head Tim Carey said that his planners are working closely with Goldman and that even if that deal falls through, the proposed rezoning of the site would pave the way for a bidding process that could draw another developer.

Sources familiar with the project said the Goldman tower is being designed by architect Harry Cobb, who created the John Hancock Tower in Boston.

Cobb's EDF Tower in Paris has curved lines that are said to evoke his design for the Goldman building.

The tower, described as a minimalist glass structure with a rounded riverfront façade, will be 700- to 800-feet tall, with 40 stories and 2 million square feet of office space.

It will house Goldman's headquarters and its trading floors, which are currently spread over three different locations in lower Manhattan.

It is being designed to meet Battery Park City's cutting edge green building requirements, which call for ecologically friendly materials and advanced energy and water conservation.

Some of their other towers...

EDF's curved lines are nothing particularly special.

EDF is more famous for its dramatic cantilever.

Slender buildings are good, and curved facades on the waterfront are better.
    With 2 million sqft. and only 40 storeys this will not be a slender building.

Curves are nice and it is the best attribute of 17 St. Street.

Curves are however an architectural ploy to provide more tenants with a corner office, and a Hudson River view.

Truth be told, the design sounds recycled and not very promising...

BOFC Tower was designed by I.M. Pei who is no longer part of the firm.

Then again curves are sexy. Lets hope this baby has the right proportions...

Funny how model tall and thin is how we like our buildings....

I would hate to see the tower in JC taller than the HQ in Manhattan.

I think a curved building will be a "sexy" addition to the Manhattan skyline. Its something Manhattan doesn't have enough of, recycled or not. The building will be about the same size as the JC tower, slightly shorter or slightly higher, its no big deal.

I do suspect that the company will try to put its name atop the tower, after its failed attempt to do so in JC. Especially considering the visibility it will have, being so close to the Freedom Tower...

The curve on the Reuters makes it one of the more visually pleasing of the new TS towers...

Does someone have a pic of the JC building? Im not sure of what it look slike. Thanks!

Forum Veteran

Check in the thread "Jersey City Rising" in the New York Metro Forum.

Or there is an entire thread on it "30 Hudson Street - Tallest u/c in US and Canada" in the New York Metro Forum