Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Xanadu complex

I'm still looking forward to seeing how this will come out. ^_^ I don't care about the color design and I don't care about Codey's view on the project. I also don't actually see how the wheel can distract several residents of their view of Manhattan. It doesn't actually look to be blocking too much in any of the conceptual art that I've seen. *sighs*

Well, here's the article from NYPost.

BIG WHEEL RIDES HIGH IN JERSEY

By TODD VENEZIA

February 13, 2008 -- There's some wheely big news across the Hudson - the largest Ferris wheel in the nation is about to be built in New Jersey.

The massive ride will rise 286 feet into the sky, easily topping Dallas' Texas Start Ferris wheel, which stands tall at 213 feet. It will be part of Meadowlands Xanadu, a $2 billion entertainment center being built near Giants Stadium in East Rutherford.

The wheel will rise alongside a shopping and entertainment megacomplex that will house such attractions as a 780-foot indoor ski slope and a manmade lake stocked with fish for anglers.

The 2-million-square-foot center is slated for completion in November, which might be all well and good - except for the Ferris wheel, critics say.
    Attorney Lane Biviano, a resident of Rutherford, is leading a fight against the giant ride, complaining that it will block the view of Manhattan by residents of his town.

He says the builders have given no consideration to the people who live near the Meadowlands.

"It's like bullies from another neighborhood have come in and decided to take over your neighborhood," he said. "It's someone coming over to our turf."
    Biviano says he lives in a condo on a hillside west of the Meadowlands, and will have to stare at the Ferris wheel instead of marveling at the view of New York. He started a Web site to get the protest going: savetheskyline.com.
    Biviano's only consolation is that the FAA forced the developers to scrap plans to make the wheel nearly 400 feet tall - because it might have interfered with traffic from Teterboro Airport.

The developers didn't return calls for comment yesterday.

By revered I meant all this development in a swamp area when you have perfectly good cities nearby i.e. JC. (I'm sure they could find a way to assimilate the new space)

And class A office space? Why?

Meadowlands Xanadu and Pepsi Announce “The Pepsi Globe,” America’s Largest Ferris Wheel

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Meadowlands Xanadu, a unique sports, leisure, shopping and family entertainment destination in East Rutherford, New Jersey, and Pepsi announced a 10-year tenant/naming rights agreement to create a Pepsi-branded experience featuring America’s largest Ferris, or observation, wheel, the 287-foot-tall “Pepsi Globe.”
    “The Pepsi Globe is an iconic symbol that is reflective of our brand’s identity– it’s bold, it’s contemporary, and it’s fun,” said Cie Nicholson, SVP and CMO, Pepsi-Cola North America. “Having a visionary partner like Meadowlands Xanadu, who is delivering an unprecedented consumer experience that is environmentally responsible, makes this a tremendous collaboration that fits perfectly with our Performance with Purpose mission.”
    The Pepsi Globe will be green powered year round, with energy obtained through the purchase of wind power credits from a Texas generating plant, and it will be at least partially made from recycled materials.
    “The Pepsi Globe will be an instant landmark – the signature attraction heralding the premiere entertainment and shopping destination in the country,” said Laurence Siegel, President, Meadowlands Development, the creators of Meadowlands Xanadu. “The great wheel is also a colossal branding opportunity and we are delighted that a company with the power, reach and prestige of Pepsi has joined forces with us to promote their brand and Meadowlands Xanadu. We look forward to an extremely productive and successful relationship.”
    Pepsi will offer unique interactive experiences during the Pepsi Globe ride, which will last approximately 25 minutes for a full revolution and offer sweeping vistas of the New York skyline and the Hudson River. Groups of up to 20 visitors each will enter 26 glass-enclosed, climate controlled capsules for the ride of a lifetime.
    Travelers approaching Meadowlands Xanadu will identify it by its signature Ferris wheel. The iconic Pepsi Globe will be as recognizable and visible a symbol as St. Louis’ Gateway Arch, Seattle’s Space Needle or the London Eye.
    As part of the 10-year tenant/naming rights agreement, Pepsi will implement a series of promotional activities and tie-ins, including the nationwide distribution of 450 million beverage cans featuring the Pepsi Globe at Meadowlands Xanadu, commemorating the wheel’s grand opening event, and designed by Rodrigo Bilbao, VP – Development Director for Meadowlands Xanadu, and an avid Pepsi drinker. Each year thereafter, Pepsi will distribute millions of Meadowlands Xanadu co-branded cans throughout the metropolitan area.
    Michael Kassan of Media Link, an advisor to Meadowlands Xanadu, said, “This unprecedented agreement with Pepsi is the first of many for Meadowlands Xanadu. It sets the stage for all our future sponsorships, and we look forward to welcoming additional brand partners.”
    The Xanadu opportunity was brought to Pepsi by brand energy agency Protagonist, led by Matti Leshem. "Matti's been a terrific partner. He didn't just make the introduction, he's an integral part of developing the ride, from creating an interactive experience inside the capsules to building Globe-shaped recycling bins for placement throughout the venue," said Kristina Mangelsdorf, director of marketing for Pepsi.
    When complete, Meadowlands Xanadu will encompass 94 acres and will feature five distinct Lifestyle Districts: sports, entertainment, youth culture, food and home, and fashion. The project will offer Pepsi an opportunity to build the Pepsi experience and will also provide a host of other significant branding opportunities for other sponsors throughout the development.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...71&newsLang=en

I can't wait!

When is the Coke Slide coming?!?!? Maybe the Dorito-go round or the Twinkie Teacups??!?!?

It would be like combining an amusement park with the snack food aisle at Duane Reed!!!

In all seriousness, though. I hope I am not "treated" to a large "Pepsi" sign every time I run down route 3.

Billboards are bad enough (Like Budwiser supports the NJ devils any more than any other team), I do not need a 100' tall rotating flashing Pepsi ad....

Large scale advertisements have proven to be successful and also have become local landmarks which people love and treat like monuments.

^agree. This actually could be really awesome in my opinion.

For some reason this site seems to host alot of NIMBY's, even though it might not be exactly in their back yard....

didn't realize the rendering hadn't been posted here yet

Default Pepsi Ferris Wheel

Considering how unattractive the rest of Xanadu is, this is the coolest component of the design. I think it will add that "WOW" factor that a large project like this needs to really be profitable. This project would have been cool in Newark near the airport. High visibility for Pepsi and Xanadu given the airports high traffic count. Nonetheless, this is a brilliant advertising strategy. Bravo Xanadu!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The_Pepsi_Globe_2-21-08.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	5686  

For some reason this site seems to host alot of NIMBY's, even though it might not be exactly in their back yard....
    The site hosts people who are engaged, pay attention to details, and are rightfully critical when something doesn't look right. Just because this isn't a cheerleader site for any and every project, does not mean we are a congregation of NIMBY's.
    We question things, pull them apart, and look at the underside. Many of us are architects, artists, designers, and engineers. If the preference is for unconditional gushing and unqualified praise for everything developers decide to build, you might feel more in tune with the posts at some of the other architecture forums.
    I don't mind the Colgate Clock, but that picture of the giant CITGO sign is not exactly convincing evidence that huge advertisements are somehow worthy of universal love.
    That said, the ferris wheel does't say the name "Pepsi", just uses the colorful logo(Which is round anyway, like a ferris wheel) so I don't have any big objection.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    I don't mind the Colgate Clock, but that picture of the giant CITGO sign is not exactly convincing evidence that huge advertisements are somehow worthy of universal love.
    People in Boston went absolutely crazy when a local politician tried to start an effort a year or two ago to have the sign taken down because if its link to the Venezuelan government... the people of Boston just wouldn't let it happen. They love the sign too much, it has become their landmark the area it's in. You might not love it, nor do I, but Bostonians sure as hell do.

because if its link to the Venezuelan government
    THAT's why? Well that's just about the most idiotic reason I've ever heard to take something down. I would have protested too. Not because I love the sign, but because that "politician" sounds like a grandstanding jerk.
    Was he also one of the geniuses trying to outlaw "French" fries?

I agree, that was a BS excuse to try to take the sign down.

I just dont like it because I'm Yankees fan I always see it looming over the back of Fenway Park's green monster when the Yankees play the Red Sox.

I look forward to it. This is just going to be more reason for tourists to come to New Jersey. Jersey City, Hoboken, Prudential Center in Newark, New Giants Stadium, Xanadu, Pepsi Globe, Jersey Shore, Princeton, Rutgers, etc.... This will boost the states dollars like nothing and will become a landmark for New Jersey

God I'm thirsty.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast