Page 144 of 244 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144145146147148154194 ... LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 3648

Thread: Atlantic Yards Development - Commercial, Residential, Retail, NBA Arena

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    Tragic indeed. What a missed opportunity other cities would kill for. That area, and yes I do consider it part of "downtown" Brooklyn when you look at the overall huge size of the borough, is crawling with development of towers all the way to the river. This was a chance to have a tall skyscraper by a world class architect to poke above them on the future skyline in a dramatic way.
    And the other towers in the project are boring me to tears when I consider what might have been without the contextualists calling the shots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strattonport View Post
    Haha, this is what the NIMBY's wanted. Really short-sighted, especially limiting height to be below the clock tower. I hope Markowitz is happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Monumentalizing bathos.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    That's the whole problem. It will be this fat, waddling thing that no one will like --including the bozo NIMBYs, who are too stupid to recognize it's really their creation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    I think there will be some fat and ungainly buildings in this development. But in no way do I think that a single building both residential and under 500 feet will be built at nearly 3 million square feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    Pardon me, but the buildings on that website look HORRIBLE to me. Where is the beauty?? Blech. Almost all of my enthusiasm for this project is gone. "Miss Brooklyn" looks a bloody mess. Put that floozy to bed.
    If that's the best Gehry can come up with, NIMBY's or not, he's losing his touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    The Bark
    What did you guys want....another SOM demoralizing box, Klondys beacon of cheapness, Kaufman square banality?? Fact of the matter is this is much better than what we get nowadays. These buildings do not follow some pathetic lame cookie cutter format; they are sculptural and interesting to look at, made by an artist not a no-talent corporate whore such as the aforementioned ones.

Yeah, Gehry was somewhat restrained by the NIMBY's but considering that they want to abolish this project all together giving in to a little height on Miss BKLN is no big deal when you look at the big picture. Gehry in a stray jacket is light years better than most of the architects that design towers in NYC on their best days.

I have confidence in Gehry coming through with something great for this project.

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    Fact of the matter is this is much better than what we get nowadays. These buildings do not follow some pathetic lame cookie cutter format; they are sculptural and interesting to look at, made by an artist not a no-talent corporate whore such as the aforementioned ones...

Gehry in a strait jacket is light years better than most of the architects that design towers in NYC on their best days.
    This is true.

What did you guys want.
    I can't figure out why you included my post in your list of transgressions.

Not that I necessarily disagree with them, but it just doesn't fit.

I don't understand why most of the posts are quoted. Ablarc is a fan of Gehry. And Gehry is my favorite architect. I've supported Gehry through the whole process, the only people I have criticized are the community groups.

I can't figure out why you included my post in your list of transgressions.

Not that I necessarily disagree with them, but it just doesn't fit.
    Calling something a bark is hardly a compliment. If you read the posts you realize that I singled out those of you who are all down on the project because Miss BKLN lost a little height; failing to see the big picture.

I don't understand why most of the posts are quoted. Ablarc is a fan of Gehry. And Gehry is my favorite architect.
    Really??

I think there will be some fat and ungainly buildings in this development.

Calling something a bark is hardly a compliment. If you read the posts you realize that I singled out those of you who are all down on the project because Miss BKLN lost a little height; failing to see the big picture.
    Sometimes a duck is just a duck.

I am not down on the project, just bored at every aspect of it. Sick of Bruce, Frank, that guy who's suing (forget his name) and won't shut up, too tall, too short, too big, too fat...blah, blah, blah.

You'd probably have to go back many pages to find an opinion I've made on the project.

If you think my thoughts on a possible nickname for the arena is derogatory, then I'm afraid you are The Bark (of a tree).

---
    quote:Stern:

I think there will be some fat and ungainly buildings in this development.

---
    Really??
    Yeah fat an ungainly. Fat and ungainly because of the community groups that put a strict height limit on the site. 8 million square feet in a limited space with height limits is going to create some very fat and ungainly buildings. This is simply a fact. Its not Frank Gehry's fault as any other architect would face the same problem of having fat and ungainly buildings caused by NIMBY's restrictions and Ratner's high density program.

Next time instead of wasting our time, spend some time reading our posts. Ablarc and I have supported Gehry through the whole process and Zippy's post had nothing to do with Gehry at all, it had to do with the name of the stadium.

Default anyone taken or seen a model photo at the street level?

Especially along the residential blocks, not the arena. I get the feeling that the side streets feel canyon like.

I'd like to see the view taken from a camera set at street level on that model.

Sometimes a duck is just a duck.

I am not down on the project, just bored at every aspect of it. Sick of Bruce, Frank, that guy who's suing (forget his name) and won't shut up, too tall, too short, too big, too fat...blah, blah, blah.

You'd probably have to go back many pages to find an opinion I've made on the project.

If you think my thoughts on a possible nickname for the arena is derogatory, then I'm afraid you are The Bark (of a tree).
    Yeah fat an ungainly. Fat and ungainly because of the community groups that put a strict height limit on the site. 8 million square feet in a limited space with height limits is going to create some very fat and ungainly buildings. This is simply a fact. Its not Frank Gehry's fault as any other architect would face the same problem of having fat and ungainly buildings caused by NIMBY's restrictions and Ratner's high density program.

Next time instead of wasting our time, spend some time reading our posts. Ablarc and I have supported Gehry through the whole process and Zippy's post had nothing to do with Gehry at all, it had to do with the name of the stadium.
    I see Chimpy got Sterny into throwing banana peels also....
    What a bunch of hypersensitive pansies.

I wasn't even trying to dis you or insinuate that you guys hated Gehry or anything all I was trying to say is that there is no reason to get down or bored about this project. It is still an exciting quality project IMO because with all of its kinks (height reduction, name of arena) it is still better than most of the stuff we get today due to the fact that a great architect is still the one designing it.
    Last edited by TREPYE; January 23rd, 2007 at 11:24 PM.

One thing I always wondered was why no transportation hub was included with this development? I'm not pointing fingers to anyone in particular (ratner, city, etc) but considering the magnitude of this project and the "traffic" concerns tagged with it, why wasn't a grand hub considered? With Grand Central (Lirr access) and a brand new penn/moynihan in future works for midtown, fulton and wtc hub for lower manhattan, why no hub for downtown brooklyn? With the Lirr and 11 lines at atlantic and 2 (C and G) nearby, it would definitely qualify for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamicdezzy View Post
    One thing I always wondered was why no transportation hub was included with this development?

Brooklyn already has a grand train station at Stillwell Ave.

"Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue (also known as Coney Island Terminal) in Coney Island, Brooklyn, is the world's largest rapid transitterminal facility, and notable as the most energy-efficient mass transit facility in the United States. It serves as a terminal for four different lines of the New York City Subway, and is served by D, F, N, and Q trains at all times."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_I...k_City_Subway)

Forum Veteran

In the end the funny thing is that ratner will probally only build the arena and maybe half the buildings planned and then sell the land for a huge windfall

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenious View Post
    Brooklyn already has a grand train station at Stillwell Ave.

"Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue (also known as Coney Island Terminal) in Coney Island, Brooklyn, is the world's largest rapid transitterminal facility, and notable as the most energy-efficient mass transit facility in the United States. It serves as a terminal for four different lines of the New York City Subway, and is served by D, F, N, and Q trains at all times."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_I...k_City_Subway)

True. But why not another one within it's downtown area? If bk is going to be presented as a world class destination (in its own right) I say it needs to show it. Why should manhattan get 'em all?

The Pataki-planned JFK to Lower Manhattan train, which admittedly may be dead, would have made its only Brooklyn stop at Atlantic Yards as well.

Downtown brooklyn already has one, "atlantic terminal" has been built for quite some time