Page 223 of 244 FirstFirst ... 123173213219220221222223224225226227233 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,345 of 3648

Thread: Atlantic Yards Development - Commercial, Residential, Retail, NBA Arena

I've liked it up close, but it's still not guaranteed to be great at the street level. That whole side of the street is currently closed off (on both sides ), and since it's effectively a 4 lane highway in between, there's limits to approachability at the moment. I hope they redo Atlantic Ave to be less lanes more sculpted median ala Jackson Ave in Queens.

I think the finished version will look better than the renderings

I hope so...but when you compare this to the sleek and clean designs of many arenas and stadiums in Europe and Asia, this looks fussy/busy/messy/hulking.

If only we could have gotten something like the Allianz Arena here. Simple and gorgeous.

Oh no, that wouldn't do at all. Dear me! Allianz looks like a huge white UFO. Imagine that in the middle of brooklyn

Don't get me wrong, I love Allianz, but not in Brooklyn. It is suited to a more remote location IMO.

What I would have liked would be a more modern disign, but at least this one has some kind of character and isn't cookie cutter.

But I happen to love things that look like huge UFOs! and I think contextualism is too often a big fat sacred cow that needs to be unceremoniously slaughtered. A UFO sitting over a transit hub would be glorious.

People have some sort of holy attitude about Brooklyn, as if it has one style. If they can build the ugly canker sores that have been sprouting all over my old 'hood (I used to live on St. Felix and then on Ashland Pl. right around the way from this site, before moving to Manhattan), I have no problem if they would have built something unusual and extraordinary there. I care about how beautiful an object/building is, not slavishly following some sort of arbitrary judgment on what is "suited" there. I suppose a certain famous museum in Bilbao would never have been built if that was the prevailing line of thinking.

But that's just me. I'm an artist and a designer, and I don't care about coloring inside somebody's sacrosanct lines.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    It looks cool in photos. What's it like when you're walking right up against it?
    Even better in person. This bad boy is turning out fabulously. Just in time to pull the Islanders.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    But I happen to love things that look like huge UFOs! and I think contextualism is too often a big fat sacred cow that needs to be unceremoniously slaughtered. A UFO sitting over a transit hub would be glorious.

People have some sort of holy attitude about Brooklyn, as if it has one style. If they can build the ugly canker sores that have been sprouting all over my old 'hood (I used to live on St. Felix and then on Ashland Pl. right around the way from this site, before moving to Manhattan), I have no problem if they would have built something unusual and extraordinary there. I care about how beautiful an object/building is, not slavishly following some sort of arbitrary judgment on what is "suited" there. I suppose a certain famous museum in Bilbao would never have been built if that was the prevailing line of thinking.

But that's just me. I'm an artist and a designer, and I don't care about coloring inside somebody's sacrosanct lines.
    Good for you, but I disagree that you should design beautiful objects without any care to the surroundings. That can end up very good in a few instances, but usually ends very badly and has ruined cities in the past because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is wise not to build monuments to one's ego alone as architecture is not public art and respect must be given to the surrounding buildings and the public who will be living with this thing for years to come. Although that arena works well in suburban Munich, it may not work here. It may be a fantastic piece of futuristic architecture, but it may also overwhelm and destroy if the context isn't right.

Can you imagine the Taj Mahal in the middle of Manhattan? Just b/c it is beautiful means nothing in architecture. I think context matters, otherwise we will end up with areas with an ugly confusing mess of different styles - a hellish pastiche.
    Last edited by futurecity; October 11th, 2011 at 06:02 PM.

Forum Veteran

Design Unveiled for Tower at Atlantic Yards

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...tlantic-yards/

Those towers aren't bad...I guess. The towers though, should have been placed closer to the subway station so that people can access them through either a direct underground entrance, or a VERY short walk outside after exiting the subway, instead of having to walk hundreds of feet along the side of the arena. I don't believe the arena itself is going to have underground subway access, so I can't see there being a tunnel of any kind for office denizens to use between the subway and the towers. I know it's too late now, but this is a consideration that should have been made initially.

Forum Veteran

If they made the roof transparent they could sell the arena-side apartments for more. Just saying

People in condos can watch the The Toronto Blues Jays play when the Skydome roof is open

You could theoretically cross the street (A. Ave.) and walk inside Atlantic Center to get to the subway indoors.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

i love it

Thank god .

What Could (Not Ever) Have Been at Ratner's Atlantic Yards

by Kelsey Keith

(click to enlarge)

Yesterday's big reveal of the pre-fab residential tower planned by Forest City Ratner and designed by SHoP Architects whipped up commenters and news media alike, fanning the flames for yet another hurdle (unions vs. developer) in the development of the Atlantic Yards megaproject. Six years on, we're feeling some design whiplash, between Frank Gehry's initial overwrought masterplan and several sideshow solutions put forth along the way. We've recapped some of those designs above, in a gallery's worth of images depicting what could have risen between Flatbush and Atlantic Avenues.

2005 began the Era of Gehry, with the starchitect-Bruce Ratner alliance still strong. The 22-acre masterplan was massive and expensive and a perfect example of developer frenzy during the boom years, expectant of a completion date by 2011. Also in 2005, Gary Barnett and Extell submitted an alternate bid to the MTA, proposing "11 buildings ranging from 4 to 28 stories," substantially smaller than Gehry's initital masterplan, which called for 17 buildings, many of them 40 to 50 stories tall and creating what he intended as a "dense urban skyline" in the middle of brownstone Brooklyn.

Extell's alternative would have only been built only over the Vanderbilt Rail Yards (no eminent domain, superblocks, or demapping streets) and its tallest tower would be equivalent to one of the same height in Downtown Brooklyn. Later, in 2007, an activist group submitted a bid for the "UNITY Plan," a segmented masterplan divided between eight developers which included more affordable housing than Ratner’s project, no arena and no eminent domain. In 2008, Ratner scrapped plans for Gehry's capstone 620-foot tower, "Miss Brooklyn," for a 511-foot tall commercial tower called B1, replete with signature metal waves, and another housing 350 market-rate and affordable apartments, colored red and pink in order to “speak to the residential fabric of the neighborhood."

Fast forward to 2009, after a brief attempt at value engineering, when Bruce dumps Frank and his $1 billion of starchitecture for a more modest and universally reviled hangar vision drummed up by Ellerbe Beckett. That didn't go over so well, so SHoP was brought on to class up the proceedings later that year. Barclays Center broke ground in 2010 and is now trucking along nicely; as for that residential building, rumors about the modular build-out first lit up the 'wire back in March, and now: voila.

As many have pointed out, the repeated focus on subsidized housing from the beginning was what cleared many of Ratner's development hurdles; even back in 2005, Forest City Ratner promised that half the housing units would be reserved for tenants making less than $100,000 per year.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/1...yards.php#more

Forum Veteran

The towers are better than the average new residential building and I like how the volumes are broken up. I hope they end up being a bit more varied though, which they probably will be since it's a phased plan. Not really interesting when everything matches.