Page 236 of 244 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236237238239240 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,540 of 3648

Thread: Atlantic Yards Development - Commercial, Residential, Retail, NBA Arena

What's the Deal With Atlantic Yards' Modular Construction?

[Rendering by SHoP Architects]

This week, Forest City Ratner broke ground on the next phase of the Atlantic Yards, a 32-story residential tower known as B2, which will be the world's tallest modular building. It will have 363 residential units and 4,000 square feet of retail space, which is great and all, but what exactly does modular construction entail? To get some answers, Curbed spoke with John Dolan, a project executive at Skanska USA Inc., the general contractor on the project, who worked with SHoP Architects, structural engineer Arup, and consultant Xsite Modular.

How does prefabricated construction work?

Much of what is happening today began 20 years ago. We're pre-manufacturing elements of the building off-site, whether it's a pump, piping or valve that that may be put on a truck, shipped to a job site, taken off a crane or a forklift, bolted down to a floor and connected to other pre-manufactured elements. That has been going on for years.

This is a much bigger project. What's different?

We're taking a frame—we're calling it a chassis—our largest is 36 feet long by 14 feet wide and 10-foot tall, a steel tubular frame that will house all the elements of a single studio apartment or a portion of a multi-room apartment. We have drywall framing, the light fixtures, all the appliances and all the details in bathrooms—down to the toilet paper holders on the wall—in the factory, packaged up and shipped over. The chassis are built at steel fabricators manufacturers. They'll ship those to the Brooklyn Navy Yard and then to Atlantic Yards. For the most part, one chassis will be on one truck. In some cases, two small chassis will be on one truck.

How much do you save compared to conventional construction? How much faster is it?

We estimated that it's around 12 to 15 percent in savings based what we think our effectiveness will be. We hope it'll be better than that. It does provide tangible savings, because we're producing it around four months faster than conventional construction. We expect to be done in 18 months. The conventional construction would have been 24 months.

How does the prefabricated structure compare to a normal building?

There is a denser collection of material. The overall building is lighter. Our column spacing is tighter than the normal 25 by 25-foot column grid. Our column grid is every 14 feet, but I don't want that to sound like a detriment. It's very strategically laid out so the columns are not noticeable. Most of the transitions are done in the doorway and archway. You don't see the columns, you don't know the steel columns are in the walls, although they may be wider. It's not as noticeable because we have laid out the apartment where they're concealed inside the wall.

How has new technology helped this process?

We have relied heavily on 3D modeling in the past to ensure our mechanical and electrical piping all had space. This particular project is taking the modeling effort to a new level. Everything that will be produced in a factory will be on a drawing. What we don't want to have happen is have factory production stop to try to find the dimension for something like a light switch. Everything has to be done in the model.

What impact will prefabrication have on the construction industry?

New York City building trade unions have worked very closely with Forest City Ratner and Skanska. I've worked with unions throughout my 30-year career. It's an opportunity to evolve. We all want it to pay the bills. I think it's better for the industry that we find strategies to build elements and entire projects offsite to minimize the amount of construction that occurs on the work site. The Atlantic Yards site is very difficult to navigate around. We're reducing the amount of activity. There will be fewer trucks.

Have you done any modular buildings before?

Skanska has already completed a modular data center up in Quebec, Canada for Telus, a communications company. It was partially manufactured in Danbury. Conn. by a mechanical contractor. Some of the technical aspects of the data center were shipped out from Wisconsin. We're building a second data center in British Columbia right now, same process. We've also done modular in Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton, Ohio.

What's your outlook for the future of prefab construction?

This will be the first of six million square feet that Forest City Ratner has committed to the city of New York. We hope this will be something we can do around the country. As a national builder, we are in nearly every state and this is a valuable system for any client. I'm expecting to go beyond the borders of New York and New Jersey.

—Roland Li
    Interview has been edited and condensed.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/1...nstruction.php

Forum Veteran

That building is right on top of the BC, free Islanders season tickets to new condo buyers? You never have to leave your home...

I like the way the window frames are sized: large, but not entirely floor-to-ceiling. Those window offer both plentiful
    Light and views, but also a feeling of 'enclosur' because there is at least some wall/ceiling section above and below: these apartments are looking very good so far - it will be great watching the project come together.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

i was by the site today. the footprint is puny. the location really seems odd - like it's forced. if they're putting a 30+ story building here, and this spatial planning is a sign of things to come, the total AY development is going to be way dense.

I don't understand why the need to squeeze this tower into that space, now at least. The northern corner at Atlantic and 6th seems better.

agreed. it seems bizarre.

What is bizarre about it; given that 'every' developable land parcel in NYC is 'always' built-out to its maximum permissible zoning envelope. Maybe I am missing something: but given the cost/value/scarcity of property in NYC this seems like a 'typical' scenario.

If you mean it just 'looks' funny or bizarre to you: that's something else - your 'opinion' is a good a mine. I have not looked to much into the actual site conditions/size; but from what I see on the graphics - IMHO it looks just fine to me.

All the renderings so far match this site plan (although they're starting behind the arena and not building the tower(s) in front at the moment. I'm not 100% on the "towers-in-the-park" look that's to happen someday in the back, but the block is already massive. Maybe pedestrian streets would fix it? Unsure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08-32801AYsiteplan.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	16755
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6YjsreT1Ru...AYsiteplan.jpg

And a much larger version that I can't attach here: http://cdn.brownstoner.com/Atlantic-...-for-print.jpg

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
    I don't understand why the need to squeeze this tower into that space, now at least. The northern corner at Atlantic and 6th seems better.
    Maybe better marketing.

It's only a few blocks, but Atlantic & 6th seems more isolated, and it looks out over the still open railyards to the north.

Site 2 mixes the residential character of Dean St with the liveliness of Flatbush. It looks more Brooklyn.

Also I forgot there will be retail at the base. That corner has more foot traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    What is bizarre about it; given that 'every' developable land parcel in NYC is 'always' built-out to its maximum permissible zoning envelope. Maybe I am missing something: but given the cost/value/scarcity of property in NYC this seems like a 'typical' scenario.

If you mean it just 'looks' funny or bizarre to you: that's something else - your 'opinion' is a good a mine. I have not looked to much into the actual site conditions/size; but from what I see on the graphics - IMHO it looks just fine to me.
    if you walk by the site in person it looks like they're putting a building where there is no room for one, while leaving a multitude of adjacent barren sites empty. this is why i'm calling it bizarre.

^ Agreed. I will try to get some shots tomorrow.

So I've been reading more, and it seems like FCR is going to be building all three buildings on this side of the arena as modular, and that they're all going to go up somewhat simultaneously. Based on the timelines, it will be 4 months for the CIP concrete construction to wrap (april) and then modular units to start going up (they're already being built). If B3 then starts in June, the modular units will keep flowing, and it will be rising by October. Incidentally, the parts I haven't heard spoken about are hallways and elevators. Are there modules for them, or will the modular apartment units be "attached" to a concrete core that rises with them?

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=6283
    http://www.bisnow.com/boston-real-es...-construction/

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Just walking around that area, at night when a game lets out is already a giant cluster fcuk. I'm trying to imagine what it will be like when all the residential is up.