Page 53 of 244 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlantic Yards Development - Commercial, Residential, Retail, NBA Arena

More examples of Gehry and the thrilling public spaces his buildings create:

http://www.zaptank.com/images/galler.../image_15.html

http://www.livejournal.com/community...es/756834.html

Forum Veteran

One major difference would be that this development will have tons of retaila dn cultural space, so public access and use is inevitable...all at street level. His other developments don't have this draw.

No excuse. His buildings make NO effort to create viable public spaces.... you do not need retail to do that..... and the addition of retail doesn´t guarantee it.

More about the Bilbao. Read the comments... click the thumbnails...as the writer comments: "Frank Gehry, the architect who designed the museum, appears afraid to support, or even acknowledge, human activity in and around his buildings".

http://www.pps.org/gps/one?public_place_id=827
    Last edited by Fabrizio; August 19th, 2005 at 12:37 PM.

Forum Veteran

lets just wait till Sept and see the MTA decision and then go from there, no matter whatthere will be lawsuits after this decison so in my opnion nothing will be built until next Summer at earliest and if Bloomberg does not win, this project may be over

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by Law & Order
    He should be forced to go live in one of the places he built.
    Here's his Santa Monica bungalow that he "famously renovated."

And somehow, this is what his new dream house will evolve from:

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6
    lets just wait till Sept and see the MTA decision and then go from there, no matter whatthere will be lawsuits after this decison so in my opnion nothing will be built until next Summer at earliest and if Bloomberg does not win, this project may be over
    But, there is no "decision" to be made when the MTA has chosen to "exclusively" negotiate with only one of the bidders. "Celebration" Brooklyn is on its way.

Ya gotta love his Santa Monica bunglow in the first pic! Imagine trying to build something like that on the same street where any one of the Architecture critics who regularly fall all over him live... you´d get sued!

That window looks like a place to order fried clams and a papaya shake.
    Last edited by Fabrizio; August 19th, 2005 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio
    Does Brooklyn really want to hand over so much space to a guy who has NEVER built a building that is street friendly?

Gerhy should be proposing a new 2Columbus Circle.... he´d be brilliant doing a building on a site like that... a piece of sculpture on it´s own little island.
    So much space! I think Brooklyn can spare 21 acres out of 52,330. Architecture should be judged in the context for which it is purposed. To say that Gehry’s work is not street friendly by pointing to works in which such consideration was not the client’s aim or the building’s function is apples and oranges and evidence of nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio
    No excuse. His buildings make NO effort to create viable public spaces.... you do not need retail to do that..... and the addition of retail doesn´t guarantee it.

More about the Bilbao. Read the comments... click the thumbnails...as the writer comments: "Frank Gehry, the architect who designed the museum, appears afraid to support, or even acknowledge, human activity in and around his buildings".
    So you found a critic that doesn't like Gehry's work - big deal. There are plenty of people that do; such is the nature of art (and the business of being a critic).

The Dude Abides

Some people will criticize Gehry's work just because it's their job. Others, however, highlight real concerns about how his projects (fail to) interact well with the street. His Brooklyn project's success depends, more than any other, on how well the development fits into the neighborhood. And, after having seen and read about a lot of his work, I'm feeling more cautious, much more so than when I first heard about Brooklyn getting a new skyline.

On a separate note, has anyone here seen some of Gehry's drawings for the Grand Avenue project in Los Angeles? I know he's not responsible to as big a degree as with the Ratner project, but I've heard he's designing the centerpiece tower, a mixed-use 40-50 story building. Maybe it'll be a preview of Miss Brooklyn. Any links or pics would be appreciated, as I haven't found anything yet.

I dont like gehry for the same reason i dont like picasso and thats because everything they do looks like a serious drug trip out gone wrong. I really dont like his guggenhiem at all, and i know ive said it before but all his designs that i have seen look the same

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny
    I dont like gehry ... i know ive said it before but all his designs that i have seen look the same
    I was hoping not to get into this , but...

alonzo, at least Gehry isn't boring.

Take a look (maybe it will broaden your perspective).

Gehry's Bard College Performing Arts Center:

Gehry's Wynton Guest House, Wayzata, MN:

Gehry's Disney Concert Hall:

Gehry's Rasin Building, Prague (aka "Fred & Ginger"):

Chiat / Day, Venice CA:

Gehry's Stata Center, MIT:

Experience Music Project, Seattle

Bilbao:

Your pretty much proving my point with those pictures Bilbao, bard college, disney hall, and the music center seattle all look remarkably alike. Also a proposal i seen for something in chicago looked the same and his guggenhiem on the east river was also the same. Granted I hadnt seen those other designs until now and at first glance, dont like them and they prove my point of look all surreal. They're just like normal building except warped or collapsing or disneyfied (referring to gynton guest house looks like mickey mouses house or something like that)

Your pretty much proving my point with those pictures Bilbao, bard college, disney hall, and the music center seattle all look remarkably alike. Also a proposal i seen for something in chicago looked the same and his guggenhiem on the east river was also the same. Granted I hadnt seen those other designs until now and at first glance, dont like them and they prove my point of look all surreal. They're just like normal building except warped or collapsing or disneyfied (referring to gynton guest house looks like mickey mouses house or something like that)
    So we get it - Gehry doesn't rock your boat. I like his work. He isn't my favorite architect. He would not have been my first choice for this project. He is the architect we have been given and I, for one, am excited for the potential. Brooklyn doesn't have a single great postwar tower and this may change all that (either as part of the project itself or the further development it spurs). I find modern architecture in Brooklyn to be mundane in the extreme but am happy to have the urban activity it brings and would not choose an empty lot and gas station over it.
    Last edited by RJW; August 19th, 2005 at 09:48 PM.

Bilbao, bard college, disney hall, and the music center seattle all look remarkably alike.
    That's kind of like saying all buildings clad in limestone look alike. Or all glass curtain buildings look alike. Or all brick buildings look alike.