Page 7 of 244 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 3648

Thread: Atlantic Yards Development - Commercial, Residential, Retail, NBA Arena

  1. #91
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    West Harlem
    Posts
    2,805

    Default

    I don't like the idea of the entire thing being designed by Gehry... the peek at his 620ft office tower design phase from one of Derek's pictures already gave me a little nausea.

  2. #92

    Default

    What gives you nausea, is for others euphoria. The stadium is great, grand, a modern Roman Coliseum and a type of public project that NYC has not yet seen. Whereas I liken the stadiums architecture as a reincarnation of Penn Station, the towers architecture will be ground breaking, from what I’ve seen they are very etheral. The fact that the towers will be raised above the stadium only enhances there gravity defying act.

  3. #93
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    West Harlem
    Posts
    2,805

    Default

    I like (very much) the arena and the way the towers are positioned and massed, but I don't really know about the true forms and facades of the towers themselves. I just don't want them to be... typical Gehryish. I may learn to love them, so this is just a preliminary opinion (moreso because I haven't seen the finished design of that tower, just the design evolution).

  4. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gulcrapek
    I don't like the idea of the entire thing being designed by Gehry... the peek at his 620ft office tower design phase from one of Derek's pictures already gave me a little nausea.
    I'm not familiar with any of Gehry's office or residential buildings. It could be something great - the entire development - something additional to define Brooklyn along with Coney Island, Prospect Park, Brooklyn Bridge, etc....I just hope it doesn't look like a cheap housing development...

  5. #95
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    There's already a lot of momentum behind this project, and things seem to be lining up nicely for Ratner.

  6. #96

    Default

    After reading all the articles and what not, this project seems unreal. Still can't believe this is going up just a couple blocks away from me...

  7. #97
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Garden City, LI
    Posts
    1,778

    Default

    How could reading anything about this project seem unreal? Ratner seems to be in the lead for the Nets, he's pushing, Bloomberg's pushing, the MTA would give the development rights to him pretty easily, and that would not require community approval, etc.

    I think if he gets the Nets, it's got a great chance of happening, for a number of reasons.

  8. #98

  9. #99

    Default

    i dont understand how eminent domain applies here. In the case of the NYTimes building that block was considered to be "blighted" but this area clearly is not. So what are the legal reasons to be used for basically taking over the properties for this project? Is it basically creation of new jobs and more affortable housing? Is that enough to legally justify forcibly buying someone's house even when they dont want to sell?

  10. #100

    Default

    It's a railyard, not individual homesteads, they're dealing with here:


  11. #101
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    West Harlem
    Posts
    2,805

    Default

    Are those Gehry sketches?

  12. #102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yanni111
    i dont understand how eminent domain applies here. In the case of the NYTimes building that block was considered to be "blighted" but this area clearly is not. So what are the legal reasons to be used for basically taking over the properties for this project? Is it basically creation of new jobs and more affortable housing? Is that enough to legally justify forcibly buying someone's house even when they dont want to sell?
    The site being "blighted" is not neccessarily a condition for Eminent Domain. The key requirement is that the land is needed for a public purpose. For example, a swath of homes were cleared through Brooklyn for an expressway to the new Verrazano Narrows bridge. These homes were not blighted, but the action was justified by the need for the bridge.

    Blight is the condition when eminent domain is used for urban renewal. That was the criteria that was used at the NYTimes site (a stretch in my opinion).

    I don't know what the legal argument will be in Brooklyn. You could argue that the development is a public work, but it will be privately owned, not as clear-cut an argument as a bridge that is owned by the city.

  13. #103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billyblancoNYC
    How could reading anything about this project seem unreal? Ratner seems to be in the lead for the Nets, he's pushing, Bloomberg's pushing, the MTA would give the development rights to him pretty easily, and that would not require community approval, etc.

    I think if he gets the Nets, it's got a great chance of happening, for a number of reasons.
    I didn't mean unreal as in it's a distant pipedream, I meant unreal as in something so amazing that I can't believe it's going to be built.

  14. #104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gulcrapek
    Are those Gehry sketches?

    They are from landscape architect Laurie Olin....

  15. #105
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    West Harlem
    Posts
    2,805

    Default

    Oh. I guess and hope the building facades are just placeholders then.

Page 7 of 244 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hudson Yards
    By Kris in forum New York Skyscrapers and Architecture
    Replies: 1905
    Last Post: June 7th, 2019, 05:20 PM
  2. Greenways and Waterfront Development
    By Edward in forum New York City Guide For New Yorkers
    Replies: 198
    Last Post: July 21st, 2015, 01:30 AM
  3. East 57th Street Tops Retail List Highest Rents In the World
    By noharmony in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 30th, 2008, 12:33 PM
  4. Retail space banks are opening branches
    By Edward in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 14th, 2005, 02:43 PM
  5. Toy Store Is Leading Retail Shuffle in Times Square
    By noharmony in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 15th, 2001, 08:51 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software