Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Marriott Residence Inn - Bryant Park Tower - 1033 Sixth Ave - by Nobutaka Ashihara

Did I miss something? What happened to the glass design? I thought that looked okay, nothing special, but this new design they're using is hideous. Did they switch designs? Looks like a housing project except taller.

02/13/2005 UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ground level, synegogue and Le croissant shop completely sorrounded by the tower!

April 17, 2005

view from Bryant park...address is kinda missleading...Bryant Park tower is 2 blocks south of the park!

Crown detail...

All photos by me... hope you liked!

Banned Member

I think you have a construction photo future. They look great. Nice variety of vantage points.

You ought to shop around your services to the big CMs.

Thanks for the photos.

It's no masterpiece but not as bad as I had feared... I like the crown. From those photos, the building almost looks like a nice throwback the 1930's era buildings around it.

Default Hideous

One of our most important and best public spaces and this is going to be a 'throwback to the 1930s?' What does this say about New York?

These pathetic brick 'throwabacks' are what very cheaply done, imaginationless new york tower claims -- (forgetting that in the 1930s the art deco buildings they want to quote used stone, metal and concrete, not brick... but anyway). Let's be honest brick is cheap and that's it -- this is sad...

Quote Originally Posted by elfgam
    One of our most important and best public spaces and this is going to be a 'throwback to the 1930s?' What does this say about New York?

These pathetic brick 'throwabacks' are what very cheaply done, imaginationless new york tower claims -- (forgetting that in the 1930s the art deco buildings they want to quote used stone, metal and concrete, not brick... but anyway). Let's be honest brick is cheap and that's it -- this is sad...
    Even cheaper is all the new residential towers going up where the floor slabs are actually visible in the facade. Its even cheaper that way, you just pile the bricks up on each floor slab. Of course, they try to pass the floor slabs off as "architectural detail".

YUCK. passed by it today and was disappointed to see that it is even uglier in person! The brickwork looks cheap and tasteless- worse than a lot of the public housing out there- The colors are even less flattering than in the photos. Simply shameless.

i rarely see a building i don't like, but this one doesn't seem to belong in new york, at least not in the our new century.

i'm trying not to gaze at it too long for fear it will grow on me.

Elgam: NYC has plenty of examples of brick art deco buildings. The GE building is probably the most beautiful.

This does look slapped together. And it's a shame because it's a nice contextual design with good proportions.

And what does this "throw back" design from the 30's say about NY? Well, NYC has had a grand tradition of "throw back" styles from other eras. There are probably more renaissance palazzos in Manhattan than in all of Florence...and most of them were built in the 20th century.

The problem with this building is that Marriott seems to have used the same corporate architect they use to design their 3 story Corporate Residences in New Jersey or Stamford, CT for this building.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio
    Elgam: NYC has plenty of examples of brick art deco buildings. The GE building is probably the most beautiful.
    The "GE" is not a brick art deco tower, it is dressed in LIMESTONE !

Fabrizio is talking about the original GE Building which is "dressed" in brick.

The original GE Building (formerly the RCA Victor building) is located on 51st and Lexington. It's the beautiful building with the orange color to it that is lit up magnificently at night. It's crown is just gorgeous and is a true success. IMO it is best viewed from the East River. I have a view of it so I'm a tad bit biased

Here's a few shots from The City Review:

The Crown

The building viewed from Park Avenue

I'll try to take a few shots of the building at night with my digital camera.

Here's a link to The City Review's article on the GE building: The Midtown Book - 570 Lexington Avenue

Nice pictures, awful building. Nicer proportions than I expected but I'd still take my money elsewhere.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast