Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Marriott Residence Inn - Bryant Park Tower - 1033 Sixth Ave - by Nobutaka Ashihara

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    Fabrizio is talking about the original GE Building which is "dressed" in brick.

Then yes, you are right !!

Default Bryant Park Tower

I wish the Times would stand up to bad designs like this one. It's almost as if they're promoting it.

New York Times
    A Building With Separate Identities
    By JOSH BARBANEL
    Published: May 22, 2005

WHILE the Ritz-Carlton or the Plaza may add a bit of cachet to the condominium market, it seems that the Marriott hotel chain has not yet achieved the same branding clout.

A new 43-story building nearing completion at the Avenue of the Americas and 39th Street, at the edge of what was once known as the Garment District, will house a Marriott Residence Inn, an extended-stay hotel, topped by a 10-story condominium tower. But they will have separate entrances on different streets, separate amenities and separate identities.

Advertisement

"It has nothing to do with the hotel," said Michael Shvo, who is marketing the new condominiums. "We want to keep it separate because it is a very exclusive product."

Although the project was built around the Millinery Center Synagogue on the Avenue of the Americas, which traditionally served Jewish garment center workers, in the shifting nomenclature of city neighborhoods it has been named Bryant Park Tower, for Bryant Park, a block to the north.

With the rise in condominium prices, more than 40 percent of the hotel projects now planned in New York will include condominiums, according to Sean Hennessey, the president of Lodging Investment Advisors and a hotel consultant, and this excludes hotel projects in which developers decided to build only the more profitable condominiums instead.

When Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg marked the beginning of construction in April, the top of the Bryant Park Tower was supposed to consist of rental units. But with the rental market for studios lagging and condominium prices rising, the project, being built by the G. Holdings Corporation, was redesigned. The apartments were upgraded to include marble and oak bathrooms, with Zuma tubs, and converted to condominiums. The ceiling heights, which range up to a maximum of nine feet, were unchanged.

Still, the apartments are far smaller than those in most new condominium projects. Generally, developers have found that the larger apartments have been more profitable. At the Bryant Park Tower, there will be 60 studios, 29 one-bedrooms and four two-bedrooms with private gardens. Prices will range from $425,000 for the smallest studios to about $700,000 for larger ones, and from $500,000 to about $950,000 for one-bedrooms. Two-bedrooms start at $1.5 million.

The condominium will have a separate lobby and entrance at 100 West 39th Street, while the Marriott will have an entrance on the avenue. The project will also include retail space and public parking for 100 cars, meeting rooms and a bar.

Mr. Shvo said that the apartments were priced at $1,000 to $1,300 a square foot, at a time when the average sale price for studio condominiums was reported to be $833 a square foot, or about $411,000. The project is scheduled to open before the end of the year.

The higher prices for large condominiums has brought in a new wave of younger buyers who have been priced out of the larger units, but still were looking to buy, Mr. Shvo said. In addition, he said, the apartments in the Bryant Park would be attractive to out-of-town and overseas buyers, looking for a pieds-?-terre in the city.

http://bryantparktower.com/index.swf
    Here's the website. They were smart to render the building 4 blocks away, at night, tucked away in a corner.

Two pics by "7 World Trade" posted on the SkyscraperCity forum.
    http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=225236

Not that bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3
    Not that bad...
    Na. Its just bad, it misses the mark completely.

Am I the only one who really likes this building? I dunno what it is about it, I just think it looks really good. Funny how a 43 story tower gets no attention in NYC lol, this rose silently.

no, i like it too, dont know why though. maybe because its a modern take on a classic style.

I like it. Art Deco modernism. Compliments neighboring buildings nicely.

Looks OK in the photo, but not good close up.

I havent seen it close up, but they I definatly like the photo. It looks like a turn back to the old art-deco classic style. It adds a little diverstiy and color, and its very elegant

Cheaply built, laced with half-assed sentimental details. Worst of all is the appalling bright-stucco coloured facade. This looks like an unwelcome relative come to visit the Midtown skyline from Phoenix.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by czsz
    Cheaply built, laced with half-assed sentimental details. Worst of all is the appalling bright-stucco coloured facade. This looks like an unwelcome relative come to visit the Midtown skyline from Phoenix.
    They don't build anything this high in Phoenix ;-)

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by czsz
    Cheaply built, laced with half-assed sentimental details. Worst of all is the appalling bright-stucco coloured facade.
    I have to agree. It is not attractive in anyway. But, it is a very ugly stretch of Manhattan road.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    I have to agree. It is not attractive in anyway. But, it is a very ugly stretch of Manhattan road.
    Yep that stretch is pretty wretched -- but why do these developers have to add to the ugly? Build something that enhances, please!

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Better that it copies the prewar buildings below it. Lord knows that there is plenty of International garbage above it. I think that once it gets dirty it will be a nice nondescript background building.

Its pathetic token nods to the prewar buildings lend it the air of the 1980s sunbelt moreso than anything indigenous to New York, insulting rather than complementing its context.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast