Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Marriott Residence Inn - Bryant Park Tower - 1033 Sixth Ave - by Nobutaka Ashihara

This kind of 1930´s revival will only work if there´s top-notch construction quality and good materials... and it looks like this building doesn´t deliver.

If you squint your eyes though, it´s really attractive.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by stache
    Better that it copies the prewar buildings below it. Lord knows that there is plenty of International garbage above it. I think that once it gets dirty it will be a nice nondescript background building.
    Thanks for my first laugh of the day!

The Dude Abides

From cityrealty.com:

Bryant Park Tower nears completion 08-JUL-05

The Bryant Park Tower on the west blockfront on the Avenue of the Americas between 38th and 39th Streets is nearing completion.

The 43-story tower contains a Marriott Residence Inn on its lower 32 floors and 93 condominium apartments on its top 11 floors.

The orange-beige brick building is built around the Millinery Center Synagogue on the avenue where the new structure has three four-story dark-reddish-brown polished granite bases. The entrance to the Residence Inn will be on the avenue and the condo apartment entrance will be at 101 West 39th Street. The apartment portion of the building will have a doorman, a concierge, and a health club.

The new tower, designed by Nobutaka Ashihara & Associates, is catty-corner to the Atlas apartment tower at 66 West 38th Street.

A stringcourse at the 33rd floor marks the split in the building’s functions and the upper portion, which is slightly cantilevered on its western façade, has a different fenestration pattern from the bottom.

The tower, which has been developed by G. Holdings Corporation, has a set-back roof with a patterned masonry decoration mostly hiding the rooftop watertank.

Initial pricing ranges from about $425,000 to $700,000 for the 60 studio units, from about $500,000 to $950,000 for 29 one-bedroom units, and start at about $1.5 million for the four two-bedroom units with gardens.

The original plans for the project called for rental rather than condominium apartments and the tower was a glass slab parallel to the avenue.

That remark about this building being an unwanted relative visiting from Phoenix...what a riot! I laughed out loud.

The remark (not the building) reminded me of a great line from the film, Best in Show, "she looks like a cocktail waitress on an oil rig!"

It seems like sales are doing well in this tower... Is it location or is it the building

Bryant Park: A residential hotspot?

A rendering of Bryant
    Park Tower

July 25, 2005

Brisk sales at a luxury high-rise may reveal the residential future around Bryant Park. More than 65 percent of the 94 luxury apartments in the Bryant Park Tower were sold in their first four days on the market, The Real Deal has learned. Marketed by Shvo Marketing, the 45-story tower one block south of Bryant Park at 100 West 39th Street hit the market July 19 and more than half of its luxury spreads were sold for at least $1,300 a square foot by July 23. Two of the tower's four penthouses sold for more than $2.1 million, and the interiors of all the apartments were designed by Brian Callahan of Kondylis Designs.

Copyright © 2003-2005 The Real Deal.

The rendering looks nothing like the finished product!

What would developers do without skilled graphic artists?

I guess they'd need to build better looking buildings.

I walked by this sorry excuse for a building today for the first time since the sidewalk shed has been taken down and WHOA is this thing ugly! No relation to the other buildings (aside from a feedble gesture regarding the height of the base), the brick work is atrocious, the windows look to be as cheap as they come. But worst of all is the slope above the entry on 6th Ave.

Absolutely the worst new building in NYC, especially considering the location.
    Last edited by lofter1; September 28th, 2005 at 10:36 PM.

Forum Veteran

On one end of the Art-Retro condo tower spectrum, 425 Fifth Avenue.

At the other end, this atrocity.

Has anyone ever considered a law making good architecture mandatory in this city?

Forum Veteran

This really is a joke, I know a guyu that Works at Bovis and they were the CM on this. The developer planned this for five years and canceled the thing twice before it finally went. This is all they could come up, my friend was embarrased to work on it

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by czsz
    Its pathetic token nods to the prewar buildings lend it the air of the 1980s sunbelt moreso than anything indigenous to New York, insulting rather than complementing its context.
    It does look like something you might find in Atlanta, doesn't it?

I really think it looks like something you would only find in NYC in 2005 -- where the developer is just too cheap to do it right but wants to get as much money in his pocket as possible. No other developer in any other city would dare build this crap and then charge the corresponding prices.

Default Photo Update

The POS is finished, and passing by today, I was so revolted (not EVEN being melodramatic) , all I could do was stop, get out the camera, and record its ugliness for this thread.

In this first shot, you see my nomination for the "Ugliest Block Created On Purpose"... I know the owners of the two little buildings wouldn't sell, but...this was the solution??

the gross front entrance :

and finally, the pathetic attempt at the top:

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

What a disappointment!
    Could've had something spectacular at that location.
    God damn all these sh*tchitects giving New York sh*tty designs.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    I know the owners of the two little buildings wouldn't sell,
    ...and thankfully they didn't. They should now just clean up the facades and they'll be fine.

I've only seen this building fron a distance, and I thought it looked bearable. But, after seeing the up-close pics, I'm appalled. It looks so cheap. The base also failed miserably.

Who's responsible for designing this one?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast