Thread: Brooklyn construction 12/03

Forum Veteran

Default Brooklyn construction 12/03

A little later than usual.

Atlantic Terminal - facade is finished sans construction elevator. The main entrance is walled off in preparation for the installment of the glass enclosure.

Prisonish side (with walled off entrance in bottom right)

Mall facade = bleh/Tower = decent-good

53 Boerum Place - topped out, facade going up. It's bland brick, but it'll be a good filler and good for density

Brooklyn Law School Dormitory - shooting up. I'm very confused about its planned height. There were reports of 20 and 22 floors for a long time, and today I checked the permits which were quite numerous. There's one that says 20, one that says 21, and one that says 22. Whatever...

Back

Court St. YMCA - friggin huge pit. These pictures show less than half of it

Other

12 Metrotech looked no different, 9 Metrotech is finished. We went to Montague St to find a poster for my room (I have absolutely nothing on my Hanukkah list yet, have to find something), but were unsuccessful. But I took pictures anyway..

This church bothered me a great deal. The buttress tops are like, sheared off. And strangely simple. And the tower looks like it just got stunted too. Maybe sending a message we'll never reach the level of God?

Bonus!

On the way from Dean St. to Atlantic Terminal, we passed an auto shop and saw a kitty walking around one of the walls. My father called it and it just came right up to us. Seconds later, a second feline showed up. Here's to adorable, outgoing kitties!

(I washed my hands when I got home )

Forum Veteran

No hairy arms in those shots of your dad, eh Gul? :P

Great pictures, also.

Cats are great. Dogs are nice too:

The photographer Elliott Erwitt can be funny with animals, as in "New York, 2000."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/14/ar...gn/14GOLD.html

Actually, I know why that church is stunted. (My friend's uncle is the minister there) He took us on a tour of his church about two years ago. He showed us things like secret hiding places for slaves (it was part of the Underground Railroad) and old artifacts. He said the church used to have a spire but when the city built the subway (which runs right underneath it) they had to take it off so it wouldn't wobble. The result was a really wierd looking church.

Forum Veteran

Thanks! I love little facts like that.

Christian, that's really scary... :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Kris
    Cats are great. Dogs are nice too:
    and NOTHING beats a bulldog!
    Last edited by Kris; October 4th, 2009 at 07:13 PM.

Default Construction 1/14/04

I went to the Court St Cinema and had the forethought to pack my camera, so I could give a bird's eye view of contruction on the downtown/heights border.

They seem to be almost topped out on the dorm, at the bottom is the start of an 8 story residential building that will rise at the corner of State & Court. I lost a favorite szechuan place for it, so it better be good.

The 8 story foundation and the adjecent pitt that where twin 12 story towers will rise (by our friend Ratner).

Default More pics

It's a big pitt. About as exciting as it's been for the last month. It will house 600 cars below street level. The hood could use the parking.

Default and more pics

I noticed the scaffolding on the building housing Parma John's (formerly Cafe Gauppe), but I notice they're doing something to the roof adding concrete blocks, I don't know what's up.

No, don't call the Weekly World News, that isn't the virgin Mary you're seeing in the Law School Dorm. It's just my reflection in the theater lobby window.

The white tower poking out from the bottom right hand corner is the now empty Brooklyn House of Detention. I'm going on record as predicting the Department of Corrections will relinquish it and allow it razed or (hopefully) renovated for residention before 2004 is out. :idea: I think a number of NYers would find a certain charm in living in a renovated prison. Hell, they live in a old ExLax factory just down the street.

Forum Veteran

The nonvirgin Mary! :shock:

Thanky for these, I had no idea what the smaller lot was to be.. last time I was there I asked one of the workers, and he had no idea either..

Excellent Brooklyn photos. Check out the eyes on that cat (if it really and truly is a cat...hmmmmm)

Quote Originally Posted by Gulcrapek
    The nonvirgin Mary! :shock:
    LOL guilty as charged. ops:

Thanks Gulcrapek.

The Atlantic Terminal is kind of funky. It's a 'bitsa' i.e. a bit of this 'n a bit of that. An interesting mixture of architectural styles. I like it.

As for the brown brickwork of 53 Boerum Place, it complements N.Y.'s famous brownstones.

The pinnacles @ the top of the external buttresses on the fabulous church seem to be stunted due to breakage and/or weathering as some are sharper than others.

BTW When I visited Brooklyn, I really enjoyed walking around and accessing the lobby area of the priapic 1929 Williamsburgh Savings Bank Building aka "The Willie" LOL.

I happen to live in a residential area near downtown Sydney and as far as patting cute little kitties I just can't resist. If YOU do it too, make sure you wash your hands str8 away as you may be susceptible to ringworm like I am.

LOL @ the apparition on the (non)Virgin Mary. It's like what kooky fanatics believe they see in caves in remote Europe. :lol:

Forum Veteran

Or in condensation at your grocer's freezer.

That's the reflection of the logo on Virgin Mary Brand I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Ice Cream.