Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ATTENTION: NY PHOTOGRAPHERS

Default ATTENTION: NY PHOTOGRAPHERS

Attention all photographers your service is appreciated.

Over the summer there was an attempt between Zoe and myself to create a photographic NY Building Database. This collaboration was halted due to our busy schedules. While we are still interested in creating such a database it is important that the cooperative is larger. I acknowledge that our schedules are crammed and free time is valuable, but we all can contribute to the Database and create something worthwhile. I am not asking anyone to photograph “Manhattan” I am asking for volunteers to take pictures whenever opportunity avails. One building entry a month, all of which is 3 pictures, is not too much to ask, and would really get the site going. Interested parties would have a login and password and would upload the pictures directly to the server, it goes without saying that your pictures will be accredited. I will write the html and manage the technical information and formats.

There is one requirement:
    All interested parties must have a camera with atleast 3.2 megapixels. I am aiming for a high standard, and as such 4 megapixels would be optimal.

Here is a sample page:

http://a.1asphost.com/guide/the_future.html

Who’s interested?

Forum Veteran

I am, but armed with only a 2.0 mp. :x

Seeing as I am giving credit for the photography pixels aren’t overly important. The quality will be lower, but I suppose you wont get a unified look when it’s a larger collaboration of different photographers, camera’s, in/experience, etc. etc. So whereas I would recommend a higher mp camera for some of my own interest and also as appreciation for your own efforts, beggars can’t be too choosy. While it is recommend that you have a 4-mp camera, it is not necessary. Ghul your photography will be greatly appreciated, and I will be contacting you through private message.

Forum Veteran

Ok. You're welcome to take any stuff from my current album too.

I'll try to help. I'm usually in New York once a month so I should be able to make the quota. (4 Mp)

Re. the sample page; are those curly steel bits trellises for vines?

They look like places to lock up a hover-bike.

Is the site going to be used to display photos on a monitor, or as a source of high quality prints?

1. monitor: You don't need that high a resolution. A 4.3 mpix image in 4/3 aspect ratio would be 2400 pixels x 1800 pixels. The way it is displayed is determined by the resolution of the monitor. If the monitor resolution is 2400 x 1800, the image will fit the screen exactly. If you display an image of 4800 x 3600 on that monitor, it will not have any greater detail, but be four times larger than the monitor and difficult to view.

The advantage of a large mpix format is the ability to crop out the image without losing detail. The photos I post here are taken with a 2.1 mpix camera. The images are sized 1600 x 1200. I save a master copy at full resolution, and size a second copy down to 800 x 600. That's only 480,000 mpix.

2. Printer: If the printer is high resolution, increasing the resolution of the image will increase the detail of the photo, but reduce the image size.
    A 1600 x 1200 taken with a resolution of 72 will produce a printed image of 22" x 16", but not of good detail. Increasing the resolution to 150 will produce a print of 10 x 8 and greater detail. The obvious advantage is to start with a large image.

I'm interested, but my input would probably be sporatic. I've got 4 MP's.

Is the site going to be used to display photos on a monitor, or as a source of high quality prints?

1. monitor: You don't need that high a resolution. A 4.3 mpix image in 4/3 aspect ratio would be 2400 pixels x 1800 pixels. The way it is displayed is determined by the resolution of the monitor. If the monitor resolution is 2400 x 1800, the image will fit the screen exactly. If you display an image of 4800 x 3600 on that monitor, it will not have any greater detail, but be four times larger than the monitor and difficult to view.

The advantage of a large mpix format is the ability to crop out the image without losing detail. The photos I post here are taken with a 2.1 mpix camera. The images are sized 1600 x 1200. I save a master copy at full resolution, and size a second copy down to 800 x 600. That's only 480,000 mpix.

2. Printer: If the printer is high resolution, increasing the resolution of the image will increase the detail of the photo, but reduce the image size.
    A 1600 x 1200 taken with a resolution of 72 will produce a printed image of 22" x 16", but not of good detail. Increasing the resolution to 150 will produce a print of 10 x 8 and greater detail. The obvious advantage is to start with a large image.
    I am no expert on digital photography and I was advised that mp’s were unimportant. However comparing the photography on this forum there is a quality difference. When digital photography is resized the quality is higher, and when the original is considerably larger than my monitor size, the quality becomes all that much better.

Im happy that there is an interest in this endeavor, I will be contacting all interested parties via private message. Hopefully we can start putting the site together immediately.

Sorry, i can't help you....I'm miles away from NY and even if i just bought a new Sony digital camera: the zoom is not that good.
    Note, if you want some pictures from brussel, just tell me, the quality will be 5.0 Mb

Did anyone get my private message?

YES, I'll get you some photos following the holidays.

Stern,

Yes, after the holidays. Do you still want max size? I can send you 1600 x 800, file size over 1 meg.

Since I've been good all year (unless a fat guy in a red suit reads this forum), there may be a new camera on the way. The originals will be over 3000x2000 and several megs.

Great GUYS!

Remember whenever you do have photography all you need to do is upload it to the server. Afterwards send me a private message with the file names. If there are atleast 3 pictures of a building I will write a building page for it. If there are more than 3 tell me which ones you want to use.

As for the size of the pictures, each picture will be resized to a height of 551 pixels. I resize my own pictures to save on memory, and I would recommend that each user do the same. If you send me a fullsize picture it will be resized using html, while it doesnt always create the best results I will be using the same aspect ratio.

Hope this answers some questions.

Right now there are 5 buildings out of 361. Its a start....

What do you guys think of the site format?

http://a.1asphost.com/guide/

Forum Veteran

I like it. There are still some typos in the top list though, specifically Williamsburg(h) Savings Bank...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast