View Poll Results: Do you like or dislike the memorial that is now set for Bayonne?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll

4 17.39%
  • Dislike

19 82.61%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Jersey City 9/11 Memorial

Is it wrong of me to think that this looks like a gigantic scrotum?

Default He is not Russian

Please do not call Zurab Tsereteli Russian. He is not Russian, he is Georgian (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_(country)). Russia and russians hate his so called art. Say thank you to those, who payed him. Russian
    Last edited by one_day _user; September 13th, 2006 at 06:35 PM.

Exclamation Grand RE-Opening!!

'OFF THE GRASS'
    'Teardrop' park off limits until sod takes root

Friday, September 15, 2006
    By RONALD LEIR
    JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Bayonne's newly dedicated Harbor View Park and the 9/11 "teardrop" memorial at the Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor are now off limits to the public - until the Bayonne Local Redevelopment Authority can restore, and expand, the landscaping.

BLRA Executive Director Nancy Kist said: "We need to fix the stuff that was damaged by people trampling on it (during Monday's 9/11 dedication ceremony).

"We had sod laid (this past) weekend for the ceremony, but half the park isn't landscaped yet - the area from where we had the stage to the risers (for press photographers) still has to be done. We didn't get all the sod down because (Hurricane) Ernesto got in our way."

"The park will reopen before the end of the month, although that's somewhat weather dependent," she added. "We realize we're putting down the sod late in the season so we'll just have to water it and water it and hope it takes hold. If not, we may replant in the spring."

Eighteen months from now, Kist said, the BLRA hopes to complete an expansion of the Harbor View Park's eastern boundary with the aid of $600,000 in Green Acres funding, coupled with about the same amount from its capital budget.

The existing park was financed by $500,000 from the Hudson County Open Space Trust Fund and $300,000 from Royal Caribbean International.

Zurab Tsereteli, the Russian artist who designed the memorial, paid for the monument and its lighting fixtures.

Meanwhile, to facilitate public access to the Peninsula, Kist said, the BLRA will open "The First Mile" of the public waterfront walkway - from the entrance at Route 440 and 32nd Street to the BLRA office on Port Terminal Boulevard - at 1 p.m. Sept. 23.

That stretch of the walkway directly across from the new Bayonne Golf Club features views of New York Harbor and "will be open from dawn to dusk," Kist said.

"Police (at the front gate) won't stop people from using that first mile path, but there will be a secondary gate at the end of the path where police will keep people away from construction activity," Kist said.

People arriving by car can park at the entrance or along the shoulder of the road along that first mile, Kist said.

Further extension of the walkway will have to await demolition of an old Army property known as Building 41 and additional "stabilization of the south shoreline" between Building 41 and the privately operated drydock, Kist said. The state Department of Environmental Protection has allocated $2.2 million for part of the job, she said.

Default wow

That thing is absolutely massive. You can see it from Exchance Place? I'll have to look next time I'm there. It looks kind of better in person but I still do'nt like it. And names of 40 people who didn't die? Wow. That's terrible.

The Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor (pdf with renderings of the area, including Harbor View Park and the public waterfront walkway)

Info on the former Military facilities in the area: http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ty/bayonne.htm

Models / Renderings of the Peninsula area nearby the Memorial: http://www.eekarchitects.com/portfol...entImage=48022

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    The Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor (pdf with renderings of the area, including Harbor View Park and the public waterfront walkway)

Info on the former Military facilities in the area: http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ty/bayonne.htm

good stuff, lofter1.

this aerial pic is cool.

I think the monument is ok. Tsereteli gave it to us as a gift - lets show some respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Loves NY View Post
    would give us a memorial - but can't they give us one that isn't just plain fugly?
    Don't blame this on Russia as a whole. Tsereteli is a hack, and Russians know this much better than the Americans, making his monuments the butt of numerous jokes. I also appreciate his gesture, yet in my opinion the monument blows and screw him for saying it's from Russia as a whole. Imagine if Gene Kaufman has designed a tower for Moscow and said it's his gift from the American people.

Default New York

I personally do not like this memorial, and I feel that govt should spend their money wisely.

New York, NY Injury Lawyer
    New York Personal Injury Lawyer
    New York Injury Lawyer
    Last edited by newyork_lawyer; February 11th, 2008 at 04:52 AM.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurokevin View Post
    Is it wrong of me to think that this looks like a gigantic scrotum?
    One-nut scrotum.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    One-nut scrotum.
    All that being said, a visit to the former MOTBY and Tsereteli's 9/11 monument is a great trip.

You drive by all the defunct military buildings, through at least one police checkpoint, by the dry dock where last year they painted the Intrepid after getting it out of the NY Harbor muck, and finally you arrive at the gigantic metal crack with a tear hanging in the middle of it.

I recommend striper fishing from that pier.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234