View Poll Results: How do you rate One Liberty Plaza?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll

3 4.23%

5 7.04%

7 9.86%

10 14.08%

7 9.86%

5 7.04%

13 18.31%

9 12.68%

3 4.23%

9 12.68%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: One Liberty Plaza

Not much at all to shout about on this part of the street.

Forum Veteran

Thumbs down

Crap!

Thumbs down

Nothing at all graceful about this Hulk bullying itself among our classic downtown skyline. More like a vertical void or a black hole.

Thankfully it will be overwhelmed by 3 & 4 WTC for the most part, but that doesn't help the unfriendly sunken plaza on Broadway, and right where Singer used to stand no less. Tsk tsk.

Agreed it is not the greatest building today. However tomorrow I think it will make a great background building to the WTC complex. Tall and a ton of mass, yet not taller than any of the buildings being erected at for the new WTC.

A blight on the face of our fair city.

How do I vote negative numbers?

Thumbs down

Gloomy, a macabre reminder of this citys dark/dubious development during the 60's.
    For this reason I just consider it the casket that the singer building is in.

I chose 4. Compared to her fraternal twin in Pittsburgh, she doesn't express the raw power of steel in the way of Harrison, Abramovitz & Abbe.

No question the Singer building should have been saved. And yes, these buildings ruined the ethereal, domed and spired, downtown skyline.

But apart from that: it's a good, solid, classy building.

And it is the (deceptively) simple international style, especially in black, that works the most beautifully with classical limestone buildings.

When I see these, those that are well done, I think of the US at it's economic and industrial height. So they are very evocative for me.

It is really only the US, for the most part NY and Chicago, that did these so well.

---

Click below. Please note how the black color, refined, no-nonsense taste, rock-solid construction, works with the old and elaborate. Perfectly contextual:

----
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LM071-A01.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	5612  
    Last edited by Fabrizio; February 12th, 2008 at 12:55 PM.

It's big; it's "there." Like the Metlife Building from the front, this is a crude yet graceful monster from almost all angles; it's so simple that it really makes a world-class background skyscraper, and with 4WTC on the rise, this tower will find a new happy home in its shadow, ironically benefiting from being bested in mass.

Clean and simple, gotta love it.

While it is occasionally captured beautifully in a photograph, I rated this building a 1.

I do not find it particularly attractive, and it symbolizes precisely what I hate most about the city; ignorance of the past, a lack of contextualism, extreme proportions, and an absence of visual interest, amongst others (especially in comparison to what this monolith replaced).

A question: if NYC did not develop big foot-print modern buildings with open floor-plans, could the city have stayed relevant?

Personally, I highly doubt New York would have simply faded into commercial obscurity if it retained, for example, the 1916 Zoning Laws or mandated building lot sizes.

Businesses would have accommodated to remain in the pre-imminent business city following the war.

Furthermore, I believe the spaces requested by contemporary businesses, such as Goldman Sachs, are completely outrageous and unnecessary. The long term use for their built purposes are dubious at best, and if a conversion to alternative uses were required, it would be impossible.

We should cap lot sizes.

Your talking about big commercial offices taking up whole blocks in some cases, these are residential towers in a park. The comparison isnt relevant.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast