Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tourists Are Back

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    Comelade, will you be able to come this year and bring Amede?
    Yes this year I return in May and ' Amede' will be voyage I board the chance to have an old still valid passport, therefore not of visa for me.but remain only 6 days (sniff sniff)

Do the new visa laws require documentation for Amede, too?

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    Do the new visa laws require documentation for Amede, too?
    I board well fear which it makes of clandestine immigration

Quote Originally Posted by Evgeny
    Personally, british accent pisses me off
    Well nah, yor a rite bucket of chuckles aint yah me ol china?

Now excuse me while I burst into song "just a little bit........just a little bit........just a little bit of bloomin luck"

Dave from London

NYC expects record 44M tourists in 2006

By: David Jones
    Published: December 27, 2006 - 2:57 pm

A record number of tourists flocked to New York City in 2006, pumping more than $24 billion into the local economy, according to estimates from NYC & Company.

The city's tourism bureau predicts that 44 million people will have visited the Big Apply by year-end. That's up 7.3% from last year and tops the city's original estimate of 43 million. NYC & Company said it now expects 45.5 million tourists will visit in 2007.

"From a tourism perspective, we're marketing a lot smarter," said Tim McGuinness, executive director of NYC & Company

A whopping 1.25 million people are expected to visit the city between Christmas and New Year's Day, according to NYC & Company and Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who jointly announced the preliminary figures.

While setting a new record, the numbers off from previous forecasts. The city's official forecast, released in January 2006, called for 7.2 million international visitors and 36 million domestic visitors. Numbers released Wednesday project 37 million domestic visitors and 7 million U.S. visitors in 2006, breaking the prior record of 6.8 million set in 2000.

Officials say the summer terror scare in the U.K. may have softened international travel, leading American tourists to drive locally and Europeans to delay overseas travel.

Despite the summer scare, the number of tourists from the United Kingdom - the city's biggest international market - totaled 1.2 million as British visitors took advantage of the weak dollar.

Mr. Bloomberg said the city is ahead of schedule in its plan to attract 50 million tourists annually by 2015.

The estimates come just days after the city completed the first phase of its international tourism campaign, called NYC Open/Book. The campaign is designed to attract foreign tourists during major U.S. holidays, when many local residents leave town.

The first phase debuted the week of Dec. 18 on the London Underground train system. The second phase, starting Jan. 2, will include Italy, Ireland and Spain. Foreign visitors are being offered special discounted hotel and airfare discounts around Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, President's Day, the Fourth of July and other holidays.

Entire contents © 2006 Crain Communications, Inc.

Architectural Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime View Post
    [B][SIZE="4"]The first phase debuted the week of Dec. 18 on the London Underground train system. The second phase, starting Jan. 2, will include Italy, Ireland and Spain. Foreign visitors are being offered special discounted hotel and airfare discounts around Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, President's Day, the Fourth of July and other holidays.
    Is there any way to see these billboards?

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by David Jones
    A whopping 1.25 million people are expected to visit the city between Christmas and New Year's Day, according to NYC & Company and Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who jointly announced the preliminary figures.
    Having spent most of the day in Midtown showing some of the sights to the family, I can attest to this being the most crowded time the city has ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post

Not sure but here is the news story...

City Is Shopping for Shoppers in London’s Underground

By PATRICK McGEEHAN
    December 20, 2006

Few places on the planet could make New York seem inexpensive, so the city’s tourism officials have gone fishing for bargain-hunters in the subways of London.

This week, NYC & Company, the city’s marketing and tourism arm, placed ads in five of the busiest underground train stations in London promoting the savings to be had in New York with the dollar near a 14-year low against the British pound.

“Pound for pound, New York City is the place to be,” the ads read. “Well, make that pound for dollar.”

Indeed, London was the only city ranked more expensive than New York in a recent report published by UBS, a Swiss financial services company. The strength of the pound has contributed to London’s rise: Yesterday, it was worth about $1.96, up from about $1.60 four years ago.

The subway ads direct viewers to a Web site, nycopenbook.com, that compares the cost of a variety of purchases in each city, from a bagel with cream cheese (£2 there vs. £1 here) to a pair of designer jeans (£72 vs. £50) to a laptop computer (£679 vs. £515).

“The British are pretty savvy travelers and are pretty keenly aware of the exchange rate,” said Fred Dixon, the vice president for tourism development at NYC & Company. “The British and the Irish will come to New York for a long weekend to shop like we would go to Boston.”

Chris Sell, a Briton who owns the Chip Shop restaurant in Park Slope, Brooklyn, said he would soon have firsthand evidence of the city’s cut-rate image among his countrymen. He said that his father, Brian, was due to arrive today from his home in Rugby and that tucked in his luggage would be an article from a British newspaper listing the top 10 bargains to scoop up.

“I know a bunch of people who do come over here for two or three days with an empty suitcase and go to Century 21 and just load up on cheap clothes.” Mr. Sell said. “The dollar’s been in the toilet for so long now, it’s worth almost two-to-one.”

Tourists returning from America are supposed to declare any purchases whose value exceeds £145.

England is easily the No. 1 source of visitors to the city, supplying about 1.2 million tourists annually, Mr. Dixon said. Germany is a distant second, providing about 400,000 visitors a year, he said.

But the city has not aimed advertising at Londoners in the past. With the exception of a brief campaign to lure tourists back after 9/11, the city has not run tourism ads in foreign countries in many years,[/B] Mr. Dixon said. That is beginning to change since Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg earlier this year gave the agency $15 million to try to draw 50 million annual visitors by 2015, up from about 44 million this year.

The new ads are intended to attract visitors during late December and January, when occupancy of the city’s hotels drops off after the holiday shopping hordes retreat.

“The feeling might be out there that New York is expensive and booked,” said Jonathan M. Tisch, chairman of NYC & Company and the chief executive of Loews Hotels. But the ads, he said, “make a bold statement about how we invite you to come because we have availability and we offer value by virtue of the weak dollar.”

Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post

I am sure these are the advertisements they see in the Tube...

Etc.. http://nycopenbook.com/quiz.html

Banned Member

I had the distinct displeasure of wandering up to the Theater district from Union Square at around 4:30PM - 5:00PM yesterday. Probably the most unenjoyable NY walking experience in years. Putting aside navigating crowds with a broken shoulder, the streets and avenues were gridlocked from 23rd Street to 57th Street with bridge and tunnel folks, and the sidewalks were crowded enough to a NY walking pace to a crawl. And don't get me started on groups of tourists standing on busy corneres, maps out, oblivious to the fact that they were completely obstructing EVERYONE.

I am all "love and light", but I find the size and overall make up of the holiday crowds repulsive (in the most non-judgemental and open-hearted way).

So true ^^^

Can't wait for the New Year to be upon us ...

Bah Humbug on youse guys.

And a lump of coal to you, my friend

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Thumbs up

PLAY DOUGH SETS NEW RECORD

B'WAY'S $25M WEEK FUELED BY FLOOD OF HOLIDAY TOURISTS

January 3, 2007 -- THE Great White Way turned green last week as box-office receipts hit their highest levels in history, theater sources told The Post yesterday.

The League of American Theaters and Producers releases official figures today, but several producers said yesterday that the final tally for the holiday week would easily exceed the record figure of $22 million.

"The week was the biggest ever," said a top theater executive as he compiled box-office reports yesterday. "A lot of people made a lot of money."

Fifteen shows, all musicals, posted grosses of more than $1 million. "Wicked" - the hugely popular show about the Wicked Witch of the West - led the pack, grossing $1.8 million on an eight-performance week.

That's the highest weekly take for any show in the history of Broadway.

"Wicked" is also breaking records around the world. Last week, the London production took in $1.7 million, the Chicago production grossed $1.4 million and the Toronto version earned $1.5 million.

The musical, based on Gregory Maguire's best-selling novel, is well on its way to joining "The Phantom of the Opera," "Cats" and "Les Miserables" as the most popular Broadway productions of all time.

Right behind "Wicked" on Broadway last week was "The Grinch," a kiddie show that played 12 performances and grossed $1.7 million.
    Other members of the Broadway millionaires' club include "Mamma Mia!" ($1.5 million), "The Lion King" ($1.46 million), "The Drowsy Chaperone" ($1.4 million), "Mary Poppins" ($1.3 million), "Beauty and the Beast" ($1.3 million), "Jersey Boys" ($1.2 million), "Tarzan" ($1.1 million) and "A Chorus Line" ($1 million).

CURTAIN BLAZERS: The week from Christmas through New Year's Eve was Broadway's most profitable ever, as 15 shows made more than $1 million in ticket sales.

Several smaller shows also posted impressive numbers. "Avenue Q" grossed $660,000, a house record at the pocket-sized John Golden Theater, while the critically acclaimed "Spring Awakening," which had previously struggled at the box office, took in $650,000.

A "Spring Awakening" production source said the good press for the show was finally kicking in and that ticket sales going into January and February, traditionally weak months on Broadway, were strong.

The $22 million record was set last year in the same holiday week - but this year's figure is expected to top $25 million.

Broadway enjoyed its richest week in history for two reasons, theater sources say. First, New York was flooded with tourists between Christmas and New Year's. Second, those tourists were willing to pay top dollar to see shows. Nearly every musical that broke the $1 million mark sold large blocks of tickets at so-called "premium" prices of $250 to $300.

"Every year, we've added more premium price seats at Christmas," said a veteran producer. "As long as we keep doing that, we will keep breaking box office records."

"Jersey Boys" also raised the price of non-premium seats from $110 to $120.
    Other shows will probably do the same in the New Year.

Some people were willing to pay even more than the premium price to see a show. Scalpers and ticket brokers were getting $800 for good seats to "Jersey Boys" during the holidays, theater sources say. Tickets to "Wicked" were going for $400 to $500 on some brokers' Web sites.

Not every Broadway show exploded at the box office during the holidays. Plenty of seats were available at the non-musical plays, which generally do not attract large numbers of tourists.

"The Little Dog Laughed," a sharp comedy about a hard-driving theater agent, is struggling at the Cort Theatre even though it opened to strong reviews. Theater insiders doubt it can weather the downturn in ticket sales that usually hits Broadway in January and February.

Copyright 2007NYP Holdings, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    I had the distinct displeasure of wandering up to the Theater district from Union Square at around 4:30PM - 5:00PM yesterday. Probably the most unenjoyable NY walking experience in years. Putting aside navigating crowds with a broken shoulder, the streets and avenues were gridlocked from 23rd Street to 57th Street with bridge and tunnel folks, and the sidewalks were crowded enough to a NY walking pace to a crawl. And don't get me started on groups of tourists standing on busy corneres, maps out, oblivious to the fact that they were completely obstructing EVERYONE.

I am all "love and light", but I find the size and overall make up of the holiday crowds repulsive (in the most non-judgemental and open-hearted way).

You hate tourist? I thought I was the only person who hate tourist.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast