Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Tourists Are Back

Banned Member

I was out Friday night and THEY ARE GONE. Hooray!

I'm not talking about the curious tourists looking for the New York experience and wandering all about without bothering everyone. I'm talking about those people who stay in the little square from 34th Street to 59th Street and from Eighth Avenue to Park Avenue or the ones on shopping sprees on Broadway between Canal and Houston. You know the type: pear shaped ladies with little brats clutching American Girl dolls, asking where the nearest Applebee's is or queing up for Red Lobster.

They've scattered. I'm pleased. I had a great walk from Lincoln Center to Wall Street on balmy Friday with no one in my way. I know it's New York, but it is so nice to wander about unmolested in January and February.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    I know it's New York, but it is so nice to wander about unmolested in January and February.
    Amen.

Associated Press
    January 14, 2008

NYC hits tourism record

The 2007 jump in tourism was largely due to visitors from other countries, who numbered an estimated 8.5 million -- a growth of 17 percent.

NEW YORK (AP) -- With a falling dollar sweetening the deal for international travelers, a record-setting number of tourists visited the city last year, spending an estimated $28 billion, tourism officials said Sunday.

With a final count still pending, the city's tourism office said an estimated 46 million people had visited the city in 2007 -- up 5 percent from 2006. The jump was largely due to visitors from other countries, who numbered an estimated 8.5 million -- a growth of 17 percent.

George Fertitta, chief executive of city tourism office NYC & Company, said the visitors were drawn by more than a favorable exchange rate and the city's international marketing efforts.

"The city is more vibrant, cleaner and safer -- and it's just more exciting than ever before," he said.

The portion of the city's tourists who were from other countries had dwindled since the September 11 attacks, and last year's growth returned the ratio to pre-2001 levels.

The city has been working to draw such international visitors, who stay longer and spend more money. NYC & Company has launched an overseas television, print and billboard campaign, and in 2007 it more than doubled its marketing offices overseas, targeting countries including China, Brazil and Canada.

New York is one of only a few U.S. urban centers that did not see a drop in the number of overseas visitors between 2000 and 2006.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg has said he wants the city to attract 50 million travelers each year by 2015. Last year, visitors to New York spent $4 billion more than they had the year before.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    I was out Friday night and THEY ARE GONE. Hooray!

I'm not talking about the curious tourists looking for the New York experience and wandering all about without bothering everyone. I'm talking about those people who stay in the little square from 34th Street to 59th Street and from Eighth Avenue to Park Avenue or the ones on shopping sprees on Broadway between Canal and Houston. You know the type: pear shaped ladies with little brats clutching American Girl dolls, asking where the nearest Applebee's is or queing up for Red Lobster.

They've scattered. I'm pleased. I had a great walk from Lincoln Center to Wall Street on balmy Friday with no one in my way. I know it's New York, but it is so nice to wander about unmolested in January and February.
    Haha. So true. I especially hate how tourists just stand in the middle, whether its a store, a sidewalk, a restaurant, an escalator, what have you, where ever they are they are standing in the middle blocking everyones way.

*makes note not to do this while in NY*

:P

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    Haha. So true. I especially hate how tourists just stand in the middle, whether its a store, a sidewalk, a restaurant, an escalator, what have you, where ever they are they are standing in the middle blocking everyones way.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

That's just a stereotype and generalization. There are plenty of considerate tourists (interestingly, foreign ones seem to be more so ) while some city residents can be just as inconsiderate as anyone.

Wink Escaltor Hooligans

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    How can you block anyone's way on an escalator? You're supposed to stand still and let the escalator do the work. In my town it's an offfence to 'scale' a moving escalator.

If you're in a hurry why not use the staircase instead? I'm sure you have that option in New York? Not a criticism. Just an observation you undertand.

On a more serious note, I once had to attended an accident scene at a department store, caused by someone running up a moving escalator. A child fell and suffered a serious head-injury. So please, think on?
    John

In New York its common courtesy to stand to one side and allow the other side open so that those who wish to climb or descend the escalator can. There's actually signs in certain areas reminding those (usually tourists) of the protocol.

More specifically: In NYC it is proper to STAND on the RIGHT and allow faster movers to PASS on the LEFT while on an escalator (many of which are constructed wide enough in NYC to allow two passengers side-by-side, and thereby one is able to scale a moving escalator).

This is also true for those climbing a staircase.

Or walking on a sidewalk.

Just as in driving, keeping yourself to the right -- unless passing -- is always the best choice

After passing ease back to the right.

Those pushing baby strollers should always stay to the right (or at home).

(If you do it differently in your country, that's fine ... just do it our way when visiting here. Please.)

^^Great point, Lofter. Like that old saying, When in Rome....

They stand to the right in Europe too. Here it's hit or miss.

It makes all the difference when you're dealing with transportation - when you have to catch a bus, train, or plane, and you need to GET THERE. It would be considerate to let someone pass, but I think for the most part those who don't just have their heads up their ass.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    (If you do it differently in your country, that's fine ... just do it our way when visiting here. Please.)
    Duly noted.
    This 'tourist' has a desire to blend in and be a part of your city - not stick out like a sore thumb (or get in anyone's way)!

Quote Originally Posted by tdp View Post
    Duly noted.
    This 'tourist' has a desire to blend in and be a part of your city - not stick out like a sore thumb (or get in anyone's way)!
    I agree, and the same goes for me.

this tourist will be on her way in 3 weeks, I promise also that I will abide by New York rules and be a good girl!!