Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: The Tourists Are Back

So that is why things have worked so swimmingly so far?

Just turn the signs parallel with the street, with the map on street side.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Right at the curb, so they'll have to stand in traffic.

...under one of these.

Keep an eye out ... CitiBike Share racks are going up all over downtown.

Before too long we'll be seeing masses of visitors on blue bikes tying up traffic everywhere.

and possibly a whole lot more of this:

Due to the angle of the shot, we can't see the camera hanging from his neck.

@Zip: Pointed Sticks?
    @stache: Someone is strangling cyclists with camera straps??!?

Yeah, signs are so freaking horrible, and a few tourist-friendly map signs are going to make a really big difference on top of the million other signs along every sidewalk. I'm in Paris right now playing the perfect tourist with camera and map book in hand...have a heart. And, all of central Paris looks like a friggin' historic district but there are tourist signs at regular intervals. Some people just want to bitch and moan.

It's the New York way! And have a good time!

MTG.

No signs in the Hysteric District?

The Tourists Are Back

You mean these tourists? 2011 article, but 2012 numbers if I remember correctly were around $60 billion.

New York City sees boom in tourism, with record 50 million visitors expected this year

Billions of dollars are pumped into city economy thanks to travelers from around the world

By Christina Boyle / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Saturday, December 17, 2011, 6:37 PM

Kevin Hagen/Kevin Hagen for the New York Daily News

Any day now, New York’s 50 millionth visitor of 2011 will arrive in the city — the highest total ever in a single year.It’s a landmark moment for Mayor Bloomberg, who made this a key priority when he took office in 2002.

The visitors who flock to New York come from across the United States and from countries around the globe.
    They attend Broadway shows, visit museums, eat at restaurants and generate $47 billion in revenue annually, city records show.
    “New York is the opposite of where we live, which is very country and nothing like this, so we love coming here,” said Jackie Gonzalez, 30, who recently spent an afternoon in Times Square with her husband and two young kids as part of their four-night stay in New York.
    They drive in from New Hampshire several times a year for an extended weekend to take in the sights and stay with family in Brooklyn.
    “It’s kind of a treat for us,” dad Carlos Gonzalez, 47, said. “We come here when we can and want to have fun.”
    The number of tourists has soared in recent years, thanks in part to campaigns like “Just Ask the Locals.” The city launched the celebrity-driven blitz in 2007, featuring stars like Robert De Niro, to make city residents seem friendlier to visitors.
    It appears to be working.
    In 2000, 36.2 million people visited the city. Last year, there were 48.7 million visitors, an increase of about 35% over the decade. About 20% of visitors to the city were from other countries — and accounted for about half of the money spent by tourists in 2010.
    The U.K. has the highest number of foreign tourists who traveled to New York, followed by Canada, France, Brazil and Germany.

Of last year’s visitors, nearly 80% — or 39 million — came from within the United States. About 57% lived within a five-hour drive of Manhattan. Roughly 41% made shorter trips from the New York metro area, according to 2010 figures.
    Domestic visitors tend to spend a much shorter time in New York and spend far less cash than international guests, according to figures from NYC & Company, New York’s official marketing and tourism agency.
    Americans stay an average of 2.7 nights and shell out $432, while overseas tourists spend $1,700 and stay for 7.3 days on average, statistics show.
    “The international traveler continues to be critical to our industry’s growth,” said George Fertitta, CEO of NYC and Company.
    Tourism is the fifth-leading and fastest-growing industry in the city.
    Rosaline Marshall, 67, from Wales, had dreams of visiting New York City since childhood. She finally got the chance last week to hop on a flight to Kennedy Airport with her friend Yvonne Lloyd, 57.
    The pair spent five days in the city, and managed to find time to visit nearly every major tourist attraction, ride the Staten Island ferry and take a helicopter ride and an open-top bus tour.
    They felt like movie stars riding in a horse and carriage around Central Park, and each spent about $3,000 on flights, lodging, sightseeing and shopping.
    “I told myself that when I leave New York, I’m not taking a penny home with me, and I won’t be,” said Marshall, who is retired.
    “I’m not missing out on anything in New York. It’s something I’ve wanted to do all my life, and it has exceeded my expectations.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz2RUgZGfcy
    Last edited by mariab; April 25th, 2013 at 12:50 PM.

How To Piss Off Every New Yorker, in Thirty Six Seconds

I wouldn't say these things are exclusively tourist infractions, but this video's funny anyway.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789