Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Subway Art

Well, Lofter1 really DID do his best, in fact he went WAY beyond my wildest anticipation, this is a fellow who does 200% and is extremely generous with his time, photography skills and everything else, a definite asset to this forum in every way!

Thanks very much Lofter1!

Thanks, lostnyc ...

Just so happens I like your work and really appreciate what you've been up to for all these years -- so I was glad to be of help.

I told lostnyc in the email I sent him with the photos that nobody gave me any guff, either for taking picutres or whipping out my tape measure in the middle of Union Square Station -- and some folks actually stopped with questions about the Eagle tiles.

I pretended I knew what I was talking about.

But said the real expert was in Iowa

Thanks a lot lofter1!

I find that funny about the people in the station, I personally would have a big problem going out in a spot like that and drawing attention to myself by taking photos and all, in many ways it's like performing on stage in front of an audience or singing. In that case I would be better doing things like this if I was accompanied by someone else.

I obtained a book on subway art the other day, it's a good book, it has a couple of photos of the 33rd st eagle, including one that was damaged by drilling mounting anchor holes into for something, probably a sign.

It mentions that a woman in NJ in 1994 reproduced some of the damaged pieces at a tile company to replace them. When I searched for her and the tile company name I found pretty much everything gone- web site long gone and in the fact even the domain had expired a long time ago as well, so I decided to purchase the domain name last night since it was available, and I'll connect my subway art series to it I guess since it was mentioned a couple of times in the subway book and elsewhere.

I started my clay model of the Astor Place beaver tonight

Fantastic ^

It will be great to watch your progress, so I hope you post more pictures as you move ahead.

Thank you Lofter1, I certainly will, as well as the Eagle.

Model is moving rapidly now towards completion, of course there is a lof of refinement and cleaning up yet to do, but the clay is too soft yet to do that.
    The model will have considerably more detail and projection than the extant panels in the station, I'm not trying to duplicate but to come close and add a little of my own to it. The heavy covering of glazes on the originals also blunted and hides a lot of fine details the models originally had, this will happen with anyclay model that is glazed.

The eagle will come soon but I need more clay, the Beaver is being done with a clay that is more local to me than what I have been using, the idea is the shipping costs for half a ton of clay from Portland Oregon is a LOT more than from Minneapolis, so I'm going to wait on buying more clay till I see how this works.

Last edited by UrbanSculptures; March 1st, 2008 at 09:58 PM.

Default Astor Place Subway Entrance

Here is a drawing of The historic Astor Place Subway entrance which reminds me of the Paris metro entrance.

More at: http://www.simonfieldhouse.com/new_york.htm

Yeah those are nice, funny how the city removed those "outdated" kiosks and now they have to pay big money for replicas to be put BACK in place.
    The kiosks kept the worst of the rain and snow out of the steps.

Beaver is now finished and drying out!

Thumbs up

Great job!

That looks awesome! Great work.

Thanks guys, looks a bit different sans the colors (and grime) doesnt it!

Hope to make some casts of it in ceramic and experiment with glazes on them too.

I started the model of the Union Square eagle today, I decided to reduce the scale about 20%
    even so it took 100# of clay to start with.

There's nothing that says I can't make a second one full size or even a third one smaller yet.
    No photos yet, it is sitting in the ceramics room at my local college 45 miles away and I forgot to take along my camera, so it will be next Tuesday before I go again.

Decided to work on it there as I needed a project to work on in class since I finished two and took them home, and my studio work bench, stand, easel and floor have models all over the place too- getting crowded and need to get molds of all this stuff made.

Going to the 16 week class to get help with modelling human faces, I'm a scholarship recipient which helps, but the class is right in the middle of the work day which means making up the lost time at work, and there's a 90 minute round trip too. 8 weeks left to go, I figured I'd do this eagle and a female keystone or something similar but I haven't decided on the design yet- the Polyclinic has a couple of really nice sculptures on it I'm considering;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polyclinic  lady with shield2.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	5756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polyclinic  lady with shield.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	5757  
    Last edited by UrbanSculptures; March 12th, 2008 at 12:15 AM.

W41st St & 7th Ave Mezzanine

Model progress update

The red star is a special non drying clay, modelled and fitted- when I make a plaster impression of it I can use that to duplicate the 14 stars easily.

^ Looking great ...

How many pounds of clay did that take?

Some of the reference pics ...

+++
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	US Sta Eagle_01h.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	5823   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	US Sta Eagle_01i.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	5824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	US Sta Eagle_01j.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	5825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	US Sta Eagle_01l.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	5826  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast