Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rent Control Questions

PS, you are also talking RS.

I am talking the whole kit and kaboodle. RS AND RC.

In my building over half of the tenants have raised kids here (many raised more than one, many who have gone on to become terrific adults and near-adults). And ~ 75% of the original tenants still make this building their home, even after all these years.

Granted, we were "pioneers" and moved into this place decades before (really) the neighborhood became the shopping mall it is now.

Basically the tenants built this place up from raw space into liveable homes (we put in the kitchens, baths, walls, electric, etc. -- or hired someone more knowledgeable to do so). Also we had the foresight to develop work space for ourselves within our living units (something that is now required by zoning under the acronym JLWQ: Joint Living Work Quarters).

The current owner of our building bought it after our whole gang were well established -- which didn't stop the owner from trying to run us out (no heat for years, elevators ripped out, other forms of on-going harassment). But we were young(er) and crazy and stayed put. And while our lawyers were never as clever or as well-connected or as expensive as the attack dogs that the owner hired the law was always on our side -- and so we are still here. Not that this makes the owner happy: we get continual overtures for a "buy-out", but never with any specifics; the only way a buy-out works is if you're willing to leave NYC. But our work / lives are intrinsically connected to Manhattan, and none want to (or can) leave this great metropolis.

If our building were not covered by various rent laws this owner probably could have kicked our butts years ago. But the protections that the law affords us has made it possible for many of us to fulfill the dream of art / life / love (sometimes) in NYC.

So, as you can see, I'm a big fan of laws that protect the rights of tenants. I've yet to hear an argument that would convince me that those laws are detrimental to NYC as a whole. In fact I firmly believe that without them NYC would lose some of the very individuals that make this place so vibrant and interesting.

Shucks, now I'm getting sentimental ...

NOW THAT'S WHAT WE CALL HOTEL HOSPITALITY

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12062005/gossip/58345.htm

December 6, 2005 -- WHEN Ian Schrager finishes renovating the Gramercy Park Hotel in the spring and splitting part of the building into 30 luxury condos at 50 Gramercy Park North, seven lucky rent-stabilized tenants will get to move back in at close to the ridiculously low rents they paid before. Schrager moved them into other buildings "for their convenience and safety" when he started construction, as he did for 100 tenants at the Hudson hotel a few years ago.

"If they move back in, they move back in," Schrager shrugs.

Among those who could reclaim their homes are Ruth Weissberg and her son, Steven, who held a 15-year lease on the hotel that Schrager bought out.

"They were living in the hotel," Schrager said. "We're treating them like any other tenants" — although they're probably a lot richer than most renters.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JMGarcia
    There is simply no way I could find such an apartment. I do not have the contacts. I have 3 friends that live in rent controlled apartments. 2 got them by paying bribes. The other "inherited" it from her mother. 1 of the ones who bribed his way has sub-let it at a profit for years now.
    Then it would be in your best interest to report your friend to the appropriate agency and get him evicted. You're just not trying very hard, and unfortunately the party is pretty much over in Mahattan to find a stabelized apartment anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyO
    On another note, I went in to give my landlord my signed lease renewal on my market-rate apt. In trying to negotiate my $25/month rent increase, they told me that I was lucky because some tenants received $200/month increases.

Just a little view at the heated rental market we are in.
    Tony you are very lucky. People in my building that have gone over the 2K mark are offered one year leases with 10% annual increases.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge
    Lofter, if you work downtown, try to find a place where two average people that want to have enough room to raise a kid (theres the kicker) can live within 20 minutes commute without forgoing their retirement savings plan.

Most of the people here at work are living at least 45 min away in Queens, Brooklyn, and NJ. Why? They can't/don't want to live hand-to-mouth in the city because they are living in something bigger than 500SF....
    On the bright side I see no guns being put to anybody's head in order to force them to reproduce. Besides, people with kids get all kinds of tax deductions.

Quote Originally Posted by stache
    Then it would be in your best interest to report your friend to the appropriate agency and get him evicted. You're just not trying very hard, and unfortunately the party is pretty much over in Mahattan to find a stabelized apartment anyway.
    Tell you what, you hear of a nice rent controlled apartment you let me know.

Besides, people with kids get all kinds of tax deductions.
    Yeah, it's a real financial bonanza.

Then it would be in your best interest to report your friend to the appropriate agency and get him evicted.
    Getting the guy evicted wouldn't do anything to help out JMGarcia, unless he was able to cut some sort of deal before hand with the Landlord where the apartment, once cleared of his not-so-law-abiding friend, would go to JMGarcia.

Unfortunately JMGarcia would have already shown his cards to the Landlord by revealing himself as someone aware of Rent Stabilization laws. That immediately puts you low on any Landlord's list of desireable tenants. Almost as bad, though not quite so, as being on the infamous tenant blacklist -- which just about each and every tenant who has ever been involved in a legal dispute with any landlord ends up on (whether the tenant had any fault in the matter). Being on that blacklist makes it nearly impossible to rent an apartment in NYC. All the more reason to hold on to your Rent Stabilized apartment. And fight like hell to keep it.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    In my building over half of the tenants have raised kids here (many raised more than one, many who have gone on to become terrific adults and near-adults). And ~ 75% of the original tenants still make this building their home, even after all these years....
    That is truly of a different era. Then they went to Chelsea and the East Village and were chased out by gentrifying landlords. Then they went to Lower East Side and Alphabet City and were chased out by gentrifying landlords. Then they went to Dumbo and Williamsburg and are being chased out by gentrfying landlords.

SOHO was unique in that it opened up the city and landlords to the idea of converting and reimagining neighborhoods. It could only happen once. Landlords, developers and the city won't let it happen again. It's all about money (as we all know). If you got it, you're welcome to stay. If not, they sweep you off to the next "undesirable location." Then you arrive, it becomes desirable and "poof!", you are gone.

Tell you what, you hear of a nice rent controlled apartment you let me know.
    You probably wouldn't like my finder's fee. ;P

You probably wouldn't like my finder's fee. ;P
    No doubt - lol.

Seriously, if anyone here actually lives in a rent controlled apartment I would love to hear how they found it.

I had one in Cambridge when it was rent controlled. It was a 3-4 bedroom apt for less than $500/month. It was a roommate situation---one roommate moved out, I moved in. The ceilings sagged, the walls were spongy, when it got cold (below zero) the inside temperature plunged into the 50s (I went to bed wearing a hat!). Luckily one of the roommates had a cat, or we would have had a rodent problem.

This is the type of cr*p that happens in rent control situations. I'm actually interested in going back to see what happened to that building, now that rent control is 10 years gone there.

No doubt - lol.

Seriously, if anyone here actually lives in a rent controlled apartment I would love to hear how they found it.

...if anyone here actually lives in a rent controlled apartment I would love to hear how they found it.
    Just rent controlled? Or rent stabilized as well?

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    Just rent controlled? Or rent stabilized as well?
    I was really interested in an honest to goodness rent controlled apartment. But a rent stabilized story would be good as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast