Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Centria - 16 West 48th Street - Rockefeller Center - Condo - by Perkins Eastman

Forum Veteran

Well, that parking garage is quite an eyesore. I can't see that lasting for too much longer.

As far as london being a primadonna...I have to agree with him. You're talking about a lot of midtown Manhattan still not being anywhere near developed to potential. Parking garages, surface lots, dilapidated-looking, filthy little crap buildings. You don't want those types of properties developed??

No. I don't like crap. NY has so many magnificent buildings, but sadly, it has a lot of crap. Do you like the cheap electronics stores and fast food restaurants that mar 5th?

I prefer Paris and London because they have far less crap than NY. Nonetheless, the crap could be weeded out.

NY needn't be ugly to be great, and the beauty that it once had can be recaptured with redevelopment.

Forum Veteran

I do like the development. It's just "that's horrid" or "terrible" or "piece of shit" gives off an elitist vibe - it's not like the places are slums.

That parking garage sucks, agreed, but it's only a matter of time......is this building going to have windows on that side?

Everyday we move a step closer to removing the crap in our city and replacing it with something that looks good. (Look at 505 Fifth, NYT, and BOA)

You're telling me that London and Paris don't have any crap? Ok.....

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117
    That parking garage sucks, agreed, but it's only a matter of time......is this building going to have windows on that side?

Everyday we move a step closer to removing the crap in our city and replacing it with something that looks good. (Look at 505 Fifth, NYT, and BOA)

You're telling me that London and Paris don't have any crap? Ok.....
    They have much less than we do.

Anyway, your comment about 505 5th is precisely what I refer to: namely, that site was horrible before this new building was constructed. I cannot imagine that anyone preferred that horrific flea market that existed there before 505 5th. The same holds true with the Fulton Transit Center. That site is currently infested with horrible buildings and cheap stores. The Transit Center will be a vast improvement.

London and Paris have many, many years on NY so that's a huge reason why there's less crap.

I like this tower. I'm glad we've moved onto more glassy buildings instead of the fake brick retro crap from the 90s and early 2000s.

The bulk of buildings in London are not 400 years old. They were built in the 1800's, as in NY. Sadly, in NY many spectacular buildings fell into disrepair and were stripped of their ornamentation. Fortunately, however, most were preserved. At any rate, bit by bit, the derelict buildings are being torn down and better things are taking their place. My point is -- it would have been nice if the horrible white office building on 5th had been incorporated into this project. It's ridiculous to have a beautiful building on a side street and crap on the avenue.

Linear progress of urban "improvement" is somewhat of a myth; all parts of the city are not necessarily gentrifying apace. My impression is that while downtown flourishes as a luxury residential/shopping destination, Fifth Avenue and other parts of Midtown have stagnated accordingly. It's akin to the process which led to the desertion of Harlem and then the Bronx by the upper middle classes- neighbourhoods simply fall out of full fashion- though for Fifth Avenue, which has certainly not entirely lost its cachet and has even seen some of it return recently, this merely means the cheap jewelry, electronics, and souvenir shops will be around for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by czsz
    .... this merely means the cheap jewelry, electronics, and souvenir shops will be around for awhile.
    I hope not. I really find it amazing that these crappy sites on 5th are not redeveloped into mega-expensive condos/hotels with upscale retail.

Hard as it is to believe with the number of condo towers being thrust into the New York sky, the market (which tends to prefer downtown nowadays as I've said) does have its limits, and even if it didn't, there are still plenty of parking lots on the West Side to more cheaply fill with new developments before teardowns or extensive redevelopments could be considered on Fifth.

I'm not even sure it's zoned for residential in this area. That could be an issue as well.

I think that upscale condos would do really well on 5th in the 40's, along with hotels. Also, they'd be much more valuable than condos in Clinton.

Smile Centria Tower

Hello to Everyone,

New member to your forum.

Centria is of particular interest as I am the project manager for the glass contractor installing the glass curtainwall.

Hopefully over the next few months I will have the occasion to update you on the progress and provide some interesting photos (if I can figure out how to post them like Edward did).

We start installing glass end of October beginning of November and I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised!

Until then, enjoy the show!

^ Cool... thanks Mr. Glass... Cant wait for your updates!

October 26, 2005

Default Centria Tower

Well, finally had time to start up the webpage to link pictures....

Here are a few from the mock-up testing we did for the project. You should start seeing glass going up right before Thanksgiving...

http://www.pbase.com/no1glassman/image/51578820/img

http://www.pbase.com/no1glassman/image/51578926/img

http://www.pbase.com/no1glassman/image/51578927/img

Hope this works...first time trying to link the pictures...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast