Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Centria - 16 West 48th Street - Rockefeller Center - Condo - by Perkins Eastman

Oh glass! Goody!

With rippled, pinched seams ... Phooey

Ruffles Have Ridges (but windows shouldn't) !

Default Centria - 18 W 48th

I must say, I do take nice pictures! I am glad they are posted on SOTA's website.

Lofter1, no need to fear, the ripples you see will pretty much go away when the building is complete and the MEP systems are up and running.

Alot of it has to do with the pressure and temperature inside the building.

We will be setting the 6th floor next week and will continue with about 2 floors a week.

Centria - the view from the Top of the Rock observation deck. 6 February 2006.

Someone had mentioned that The Centria's developer is going to put a new facade on the horrible parking garage which is on the east side of the tower. Is that going to actually happen? I hope so. I also hope that the horrible building with the white facade on the corner at 5th Ave. is torn down. A nice 20 story limestone and brick boutique hotel could rise in its place.

Thumbs up Centria - Top of the Rock

Edward,

Thanks for the great shot of Centria from the Rock.

Our company also did the Glass at the Top of the Rock!

Hopefully with a little luck we will be topping out the Centria with glass by the end of March. Concrete tops out next week!

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    Someone had mentioned that The Centria's developer is going to put a new facade on the horrible parking garage which is on the east side of the tower. Is that going to actually happen? I hope so. I also hope that the horrible building with the white facade on the corner at 5th Ave. is torn down. A nice 20 story limestone and brick boutique hotel could rise in its place.
    for thet matter all the crap buildings on 48th between 5th and 6th avenue should be torn down.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Glass
    Our company also did the Glass at the Top of the Rock!
    Hopefully with a little luck we will be topping out the Centria with glass by the end of March. Concrete tops out next week!
    Hey, Mr. Glass...can you tell me about the insulation properties of these glass panels that your company specializes in. In other words, how good are they at retaining heat during cold weather and keeping out the heat during hot weather? What about buildings that use floor-to-ceiling glass curtainwalls but have exposed floor plates (see example below) ? What prevents air/heat from escaping through the gaps between the glass and the floorplates?

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/attach...2&d=1127100485

Banned Member

And what about noise reduction?

Antinimby/ Brooklynrider,

Let me see if I can put this as simple of terms as possible:

First, the insulating properties of the curtainwall you see on Centria are based on a specific glass product combined with the thermally broken framing system. All facade designs for residential building in NYC are based on a 50% vision and a 50% spandrel/ framing composite make-up.

The vision glass specified on this project is Viracon's VE1-2M, VRE1-38 and VRE2-59. All spandrel glass/ panel area's have a 3" Thermafiber insulation behind them.

Bottomline, this is a very high performing wall giving a combined rating of .25 Btu/hr-ft2-F-U-Value. The glass alone has a .29 and .30 U-Value.

Now for summer, the glass has a Low-Emissitivity coating (Low-E) on the # 2 surface which will provide a Solar Heat Gain Coefficient of .38 and a .23 respectively.

With all these numbers the lower the better. Comparitively speaking, plain 1" clear insulated glass only have a winter U-Value of .47 and a SHGC of .70

Basically with this make up if the temperature was to drop to -5 degrees and there was a 30% relative humidity level in the condo you still would not see any condensation on the inside surfaces.

Now relative to your question on the picture of the condos going up on 47th and Broadway, floor to ceiling windows as shown or Window wall as it is commonly called is sealed between the concrete slabs and the window systems using a silicone sealant The slab edges are usually clad with aluninum panels/ breakmetal with insulation to try and prevent any thermal conductivity. Alot of it depends on how the structure is used and how the HVAC systems are designed.

Exposed slabs are often just waterproofed and left exposed depending on the surface area of the exposure.

Regarding Brooklynriders question, the standard sound transmission rating for these types of systems is about .35 STC. They provide a relative good noise reduction as compared to a single pane glass window (.30 STC) on the older buildings. You can add a laminated insulated glass which will further increase the STC up to .40. The higher the number the better the sound attenuation.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Mr. Glass. Very interesting.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Thumbs up Dear Mr. Glass,

Great job a 30 Rock!

February 16, 2006:

Hmmm... I don't see any renderings on this thread... well here are some diferent renderings that were release...

The Centria:

Different perspectives, at various distances and angles. Very good job, krulltime.

This building will add a bit of height in an area of Midtown surprisingly lacking in height. Does anyone know why there aren't any tall buildings in the area starting from Rockefeller Center south to the Grace building between Fifth and Sixth Avenues? Can't be zoning, is it?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast