Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Shops at Columbus Circle

Forum Veteran

I would be surprised if there is no staying power to TWC. Its got a prime location that will always draw huge crowds. People going to and coming from the park, the 59th St. subway interchange, Lincoln Center as well as its own Jazz at Lincoln Center and the MO Hotel. Let's just say if it does fail its not because of external factors.

The restaurants are another story. I checked a few out on the upper floors and they look really well done, probably with great views too. But that biz is tough. Almost certainly one will be gone within a year or two.

South is Times Square and East is the 5th Ave/Madison corridor.

What's the 5th Ave/Madison corridor?

I think it will make its own business in the area.
    And what exactly did you mean by that?

Sorry about all the questions...I just get really obsessive about things like these :P

Forum Veteran

Simply the shopping blocks of 5th and Madison Aves.

Also, I think these restaurants have a very good chance for the long term. These are all places by, literally, some of the the best chefs in America. Trotter and Keller were not in NYC before this, Masa moved his place from Beverly Hills, etc. These places will be around, even in the "mall."

Quote Originally Posted by tonyo
    South and East of TWC is where it would draw away any business. I think it will make its own business in the area.

So, if Madison and 5th Avenues are to the east of TWC, you think that the shopping blocks of those streets will be hurt?

I hope not!

Forum Veteran

It might improve business due to the added competition.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pottebaum
    I hope not!
    Its highly unlikely since comparatively TWC is much smaller than those established areas. And they are essentially only limited by available space for rent. TWC is not going to get bigger (although other retail may sprout up around it).

The escalator to Whole Foods at The Shops at Columbus Circle. 16 February 2004.

That's a terrific photo, Edward. The diagonals are exhilarating.

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/conten...ta_talk_gopnik
    JUST LOOKING
    A NEW MALL
    by Adam Gopnik
    Issue of 2004-03-01
    Posted 2004-02-23

The new Time Warner Center on Columbus Circle long ago dropped AOL from its title, and a good thing, too. It is hard enough to put up a twin-towered building in New York now without its having to bear the name of a legendary disaster; given the resemblance of each of the towers—smooth, polished sliced monoliths—to the Vietnam Memorial in Washington, there must surely have been moments when the developers wanted to turn the building on its side and bury it horizontally in the earth, dark and low, with sombre inscriptions of the names of all the employees who lost their nest eggs in the merger. Nonetheless, here it is, upright, happy, and sneering, as if to say, Hey, Chrysler and Woolworth’s aren’t exactly in great shape anymore, either, and look at them.

The part of the building open to the public is called, with simpering disingenuousness, the Shops at Columbus Circle, as though it were a high street, a rue des marchés. The cynical wise-guy thing to say is that it is a mall, and to be alternately snooty (do we want a mall ?) and anti-snooty snooty (but who are we to look down our noses at malls?). So the visitor inclined to be dubious about the conventional wisdom arrives certain that it is not going to be a mall, or, at least, that he will not see it as one.

Well, it is a mall. One enters to a giant Williams-Sonoma, winged by a Tourneau and a Hugo Boss, and then travels upstairs to a giant Borders (where the Tony Bennett CDs are, sinfully, stocked under “Easy Listening”), complete with a coffee shop where the kids drinking lattes and thumbing magazines look desperate to get out of this godforsaken suburb and into New York. Upstairs, the Restaurant Collection promises big-name chefs in not quite open dining rooms, but the more familiar term is food court. Also mallish is the slowed-down pace, an aimless, pick-it-up-and-put-it-down restlessness in the shopping rhythm—more Cherry Hill than Manhattan.

Yet malls are not without a history here. Putting aside arguable cases like Grand Central Terminal and the down-at-the-heels Manhattan Mall, what the new Time Warner Center and its shops really recall is the first fine blush of the Citicorp Center, over on Lexington Avenue at Fifty-third Street. Though callow youngsters cannot tell that building apart from the rest, it was, when it opened, in 1977, a very big deal, and it served a similar function: it was a large building put up by a large local corporation as a demonstration of faith in the city, and it, too, had a mall. Inside, there were tony shops connected by escalators, and—remember?—the era’s tony restaurants, which depended on their little bit of theatre. It had a French restaurant called Les Tournebroches, where you could actually see your dinner spinning on its spit, and a Hungarian restaurant where you could cut your own piece off a giant Hungarian sausage tree. The original Conran’s, with its cheap, well-made, well-chosen furniture, was the signature tenant, the Williams-Sonoma of its day.

Only when you descend to the lower level of the new Time Warner complex do you return to our own time and place—the giant Whole Foods supermarket, where organic prepared foods and organic raw foods are laid out in an abundance that puts every other food hall in this city (or any other) to shame. The smell of Indian spices rises from lentil soups; the racks of lamb in the butcher’s case are tiny and pale; the fish glisten and the peppers gleam. And all of it is insistently virtuous. Farm-raised, “naturally fed,” uncaged, honest, healthy. The temperature, the sense of engagement of New Yorkers, is evident here, too. It’s like Fairway without the traffic jams, Dean & Deluca but five times larger, Zabar’s without even the distant memory of sawdust and herring. People are really shopping down here, not looking.

This, one realizes, is their faith, our faith. Where three decades ago at the Citicorp mall we placed our faith in money and furniture, in the tangible assets of middle-class life, now we place it in things to cook and things to cook with, in Whole Foods and Williams-Sonoma—in an aesthetic whose key ingredient is its evanescence, its heretonight, eaten-by-tomorrow instability. Our faith in shopping may be as strong as ever, but our faith in future time, on the evidence centered here, is a little shaky.

When I get worried about places like this sort of having the mall effect shown in small cities, I think I am simply fogetting how HUGE NYC is. A 4 story mall with 40 stores isn't going to hurt the cities street shopping. There are too many consumers to let that happen! In my mind, I've been blowing this thing WAY out of proportion.

Forum Veteran

I went to the shops last Friday and was very impressed.

Press Release Source: Evian

Join Lauren Bush, Presidential Niece and Elite Model in NYC 3/26
    Thursday March 25, 1:29 pm ET
    As Evian Officially Welcomes Spring with a Gift of 10,000 Exotic Flowers to NYC Tomorrow at 8:30 am The Time Warner Center
    10,000 Exotic Flowers in Evian Natural Spring Water for Inaugural 'Garden of Evian' to be unveiled by Model Lauren Bush on Friday morning!!

NEW YORK, March 25 /PRNewswire/ --
    WHO: Model Lauren Bush and Evian Natural Spring Water will present the
    "Garden of Evian," created by renowned celebrity floral and event
    designer Bronson Van Wyck, and showcased for a limited engagement
    at New York's newest landmark, The Shops At Columbus Circle at
    Time Warner Center. The event will launch Evian's new national
    advertising campaign and tagline: evian. your natural source of
    youth.(TM)

WHAT: The Garden of Evian will bloom in New York City for two days and
    will include more than 10,000 flowers presented in elegant Evian
    glass bottles. The public will have the opportunity to sample
    Evian and experience the artistic floral interpretations of spring
    that bring the new advertising campaign to life in a glorious
    presentation.

WHEN: Press Breakfast - RSVP Only
    Friday, March 26th
    8:30 A.M. Check-in, breakfast
    8:50 A.M.-9:10 AM Lauren Bush to unveil Garden of Evian
    Ad Campaign Preview, Photo Opps
    9:10 - 9:45 A.M. Breakfast, viewing of Garden

Public Viewings
    Friday, March 26th-Saturday, March 27th
    11:00 A.M. - 6:00 P.M.

TV Crews, Photographers Welcome - Please RSVP

WHERE: THE GREAT ROOM
    The Shops At Columbus Circle
    10 Columbus Circle
    Time Warner Center

WHY: "The Garden of Evian" presented at New York's newest landmark, the
    Time Warner Center, will introduce Evian's new national
    advertising campaign. One of the simplest ways to rejuvenate
    ourselves is still by drinking pure natural water like Evian. This
    simple yet powerful message will debut this April in a vivid new
    advertising campaign featuring brilliant flowers blooming out of
    bottles of Evian water. Additional renditions of "The Garden of
    Evian" will be on display April 1 in Los Angeles at The Grove @
    Farmers Market and in early May in Miami.

http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/food/openings/9161/

A Rare Treat
    Jean-Georges does meat and potatoes—so to speak.

Jean-Georges Vongerichten has reinvented those musty New York steakhouse must-haves for his just-opened, unabashedly rococo V Steakhouse, in Time Warner’s collection of star-launched eateries. Tradition’s burp-making onions and tomatoes are now an elegant tower of fried onion thins and heirloom tomatoes. Shrimp cocktail, usually ossified, is reborn as gently cooked shrimp on chopped cucumber in a stirring puddle of cocktail-sauce essence. House-smoked salmon is gorgeous in its makeover. Caramelized foie gras and portobellos on the iceberg “Vedge” seem a bit silly, and I’m not sure I forgive the whipped and violated Caesar or the do-it-yourself onion soup. But the steak is a steak, and all the meat flaunts aristocratic provenance. Grilled Dover sole, boned and manicured tableside, is a classic; the halibut, sublime. V’s new “fripps”—ovals of baked potato fried in tempura batter with lemon zest—are splendid for sharing, and the buttery mashed potatoes give new nuance to buttery. Deconstructed lemon meringue pie and the cruelly tweaked cherry pie are simply annoying: Insist on the thrillingly old-fashioned sixteen-layer chocolate cake. Entrées, $19 to $45, plus a $76 rib-eye for two. —Gael Greene
    10 Columbus Circle, fourth floor
    212-823-9500

New York Post
    June 7, 2004

It's A Gran Slam

By MARIANNE GARVEY

FOOD FIGHT: Beatrice Dryer, with husband Murray, is battling Whole Foods Market, which banned her from its premises.

Beatrice and Murray Dryer are raising holy hell at the Whole Foods Market — because, incredibly, she's been banned for life from New York City's biggest gourmet food store.

Beatrice, 81, is Public Enemy No. 1 at the spectacular new supermarket in the Time Warner Center and could face instant arrest if she sets foot inside.

Store officials insist they have a good reason for declaring the elderly Manhattanite off-limits — claiming she snatched a piece of chocolate cake and some cheese without paying.

But the retired antiques dealer says she's been falsely accused and plans to fight the Big Apple's red-hot, mall-sized market tooth and nail.

"I think they're crazy, accusing me of stealing. I wouldn't put myself out on a limb for a piece of cheese," Beatrice told The Post.

There are two sides to every story and Dryer's version is that security guards pounced on her before she was able to pay for the food.

But store officials insist they intervened only after the elderly shopper passed by a register with the dessert in tow without paying for it.

Beatrice said the nasty incident occurred after she and her husband, Murray, 83, finished eating a prepared dinner they'd bought earlier at Whole Foods at a table set up for in-store diners just past the registers.

After she returned to the store to get dessert, Beatrice said she walked back over to Murray with her selections in tow to get some money from him to pay.

"I was carrying a piece of chocolate cake and a few slices of cheese — the next thing I knew I was surrounded by security guards," she said.

She said a guard from Elite Security — a private firm hired by Whole Foods — told her he'd been eyeing her trying to stuff cake and cheese under her coat.

"I wasn't even wearing a coat," Beatrice fumed. "Four guards came to me. They said, 'Let's go! Right this minute!' "

One of the guards retrieved her husband and they were marched down a long corridor into a back room where she was grilled for half an hour — then forced to sign a statement saying she'd never return to the store, she said.

The Dryers are so worked up over the March 29 incident, they've hired a lawyer to sue for $5,000 unless Whole Foods lifts the ban and issues an apology.

But John Marsh, Whole Foods store-team leader, said the Dryers are telling a tall tale — one that's a different story from what really happened.

"What she did is called 'willful concealment,' " Marsh insisted.

Copyright 2004 NYP Holdings, Inc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast