Page 14 of 337 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: WTC Memorial - by Michael Arad (Architect) and Peter Walker (Landscape)

Banned Member

I saw them from my roof (Park Slope). They looked great, but I'd rather see a building than a ghost.

NYNewsday.com
    September 11, 2005

I THINK THE MEMORIAL FOOTPRINTS ARE NOW MARKED
    GZ now has two squares where the towers stood, hopefully permanently and not just for 9/11

I went to Jersey City to take some pics and then back to Manhattan. I regret I didn't take a tripod because my high res. pics weren't so great. But anyway here's a few....

And the possible memorial footprint, sorry about quality but this is taken from the moving PATH train...

Why don't they just do the Tribute in Light at the WTC Site itself? When the Tribute was originally set up in 2002, it was done at the present-day Goldman Sachs site because recovery and cleanup was still going on at the WTC Site. Now we can actually put the Tribute on the actual footprints. A suggestion I would have for doing this would be when the memorial is finished, and it would be to to put lights on top of the edges of Arad's void, so each 9/11 the Tribute could shoot up from the actual memorial.

Couldn't agree more - that's where they ought to be. It doesn't make sense anywhere else.

It was obvious it was moved this year - I used to be able to see it at the end of my street, but this year it moved east. Also, did they seem closer together than in past years to anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    The Towers of Light were moved this year to atop the parking structure off West Street above the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel ramps -- a good 6 blocks south of the WTC site.

From a distance the lights still have a beauty, but when viewed from close by they lost a great deal of their power as they no longer fill the hole in the sky as they did so brilliantly in their original location.

If the lights are continued in the future it is my hope that they will be located in proximity to the WTC site, as the symbolism is as much about the location as anything else.
    As I recall, in 2002, the towers of light were close enough together, that when viewed from the Brooklyn Heights Promenade nearly appeared to be a single tower of light (they unfortunately aligned).

Thumbs up

I saw these last night. We took part in Paces candle light vigal. It was a moving sight. I must say these lights are more impressive in person. I forgot they were there, then looked up. I just stood in awe. Its nothing short of amazing, atleast for me.

Forum Veteran

The Memorial must get going, its been 4 years and i can live without a Freedom tower for a bit but these victime, including three friends of mine, deserve a grand tribute NOW

Banned Member

They should put these lights in the middle of the bathtub pit, on top of a gift shop.

Default Memorial must get going

I have read a book called the New New Left, from the City Journal website, it (for me) seems to explain much of what is at the root of the problem with NYC pols and the general lack of progress in our built invironment. When I think of - The waterfront greenways (hudson river park) and others, the subways, governers island, the world trade rebuilding, the UN building renovation....i feel exasperated with a city government.

Forum Veteran

Anyone else notice the huge swarms of moths and small birds around the lights? When I was there last year, you could see thousands of white specks hovering around the "towers." With the exception of an unpleasant plume of smoke when a tired-out winged creature took a swandive onto the spotlights themselves, it was quite a dramatic and ethereal motif.

From the New York Times, as seen from Brooklyn:

^ This shot clearly shows that the southern placement of the lights this year just doesn't make any sense (they should be just to the left of the Woolworth tower).

I think everyone agrees, put them in the memorial in the middle of each footprint and fire them up every year. Anyone knows any addresses? Maybe we could send some petitions to the Tribute in Light and the Memorial people and start something.

Banned Member

We could have outspoken family members make two human pyramids on the Tower footprints and balance these lights on their backs.