Page 176 of 341 FirstFirst ... 76126166172173174175176177178179180186226276 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,640 of 5103

Thread: WTC Memorial - by Michael Arad (Architect) and Peter Walker (Landscape)

I like them more than I thought I would. They look like tears; how apt.

Forum Veteran

An AP video of Michael Arad discussing the memorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYOGh...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by HoveringCheesecake View Post
    I like them more than I thought I would. They look like tears; how apt.
    Agreed. I like how the ridges seperate the water into ribbons of tears.

Not complaining at all, but wondering why they're called reflecting pools when it's always seemed that water so churned up won't really show very much of a reflection. You know?

Maybe the "reflecting" in the term has more to do with the kind one does within ones self- while standing next to the pools,
    and has nothing to do with an actual refection in the water?

From the beginning Arad referred to the Memorial as "Reflecting Absence" which plays on the double meaning of both the inverse shape of the towers and contemplation of their disappearance.

The pictures are great! But we won't be able to see the pool from this perspective - only from above, right?

Two-minute video from BBC News: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8476377.stm

Someone elsewhere mentioned that the top of the streams look like the top of the towers. This thing has so many layers, and I'm going to prefer the roar to a deafening silence. Every part of this project has been carefully considered. Can you tell I'm pleased?

Banned Member

I had imagined more water running over the falls into the pool - more like a full waterfall than this kind of "veil" fall.

Quote Originally Posted by scumonkey View Post
    Maybe the "reflecting" in the term has more to do with the kind one does within ones self- while standing next to the pools,
    and has nothing to do with an actual refection in the water?
    Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    From the beginning Arad referred to the Memorial as "Reflecting Absence" which plays on the double meaning of both the inverse shape of the towers and contemplation of their disappearance.

Ouch! Thanks, but I understand the idea of reflection meaning more than just a visual reflection.

I've seen a number of pics, especially those of the fountain on the fence wrapping around the site itself, that show the water falling down into the pool, yet the pool water still looks calm and able to visually show a relatively clean reflection.

I've wondered for a while if the water falling/cascading down from above would actually fall into a perimeter pool so that it doesn't disturb the surface of the actual pool water as much and therefore the water in the pool could show more of a reflection while one views it and reflects within oneself on the absense of ...

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    I had imagined more water running over the falls into the pool - more like a full waterfall than this kind of "veil" fall.
    Me too. The volume seems a bit disappointing.

Yeah but the force of more water would eventually erode the concrete and cause some serious water problems to the memorial below. These pools are massive, and that was like.....10x10 out of the actual 200 by 200 pools. They'll be really loud in the end.

New York state already has a Niagara falls.

They are going for peace, calm, serenity. Think Japanese garden, not a water park.
    Could you imagine visiting the Memorial to mourn a loved one and not be able to hear yourself think because of the roaring falls !
    Oh, the pools are to be lined with granite, no worries about eroding concrete.

Forum Veteran

2/6/10 a light dusting of snow today.

Looks like new steel is starting to shape northern side of the South Pool, as Earthcam suggests! They have delivered a lot of beams during last week.
    But that might need GB (or someone else with the camera) to confirm it!