Page 183 of 341 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185186187193233283 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,745 of 5103

Thread: WTC Memorial - by Michael Arad (Architect) and Peter Walker (Landscape)

9/11 museum exhibits show NY vigils, WTC cleanup
    (AP) 3 hours ago
    NEW YORK The shrines of candles and flowers and the broken pieces of steel standing at ground zero became iconic images of post-Sept. 11 New York in the weeks after the terrorist attack.
    Visitors to the planned memorial museum will see re-creations of the vigils and makeshift memorials that sprang up around the city and the eight-month cleanup of the destroyed World Trade Center in exhibits focusing on New Yorkers' post-9/11 experience.
    New renderings obtained by The Associated Press on Thursday show a woman paying respects over dozens of candles, flowers, teddy bears and a construction worker's helmet. The homemade shrines covered the city in the weeks after the attacks, particularly at Manhattan's Union Square, where relatives came with pictures of their missing loved ones.
    An exhibit focusing on the cleanup of the trade center site by thousands of ground zero workers will project images of workers at the site onto huge remnants of steel from the destroyed twin towers. A centerpiece of one exhibit will be a three-pronged trident column from a trade center tower, with an image of the same column projected onto it.
    Visitors will pass through a "Where were you on 9/11?" gallery, hearing recorded recollections of what people across the world were doing and how they learned of the 2001 terrorist attack.
    Museum officials presented the latest exhibits for the museum slated to open in 2012 at a Thursday meeting of the Lower Manhattan Development Corp.
    The exhibits "will chronicle not only the shared witness to the horrific events of Sept. 11, but the extraordinary compassion and dedication that were demonstrated time and again during the days, weeks and months following the horrific attacks," museum director Alice Greenwald said Thursday.
    The downtown rebuilding agency gave $2.2 million to help fund the exhibits.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...lsEfgD9EUTG380

Looks like they have begun waterproofing the north pool.

Quote Originally Posted by econ_tim View Post
    I've seen renders of the museum that show windows looking out through the waterfall. Does anyone know whether this feature is still planned?
    Unfortunately, no. They did away with this quite a few years ago. I don't have a link to the article but they were talking about how they were concerned that the noise from the waterfalls would be so loud that it would create a neverending roar that would echo through the cavernous museum. Also, the design which had openings at the base of the waterfall also had the names of the victims located there, but the family members didn't want the names below ground so they're going to have the names above ground in the actual memorial, along the parapets.

Oh, boy. I was just browsing around national911memorial.org and noticed that on their renderings page, there is now a whole crapload of new renderings both of the memorial plaza as well as the museum. I have no idea how long they've been there (I haven't been to the site in months, but I don't remember seeing these elsewhere). Go check it out! A few highlights:

(note the chamfered corners in the previous two!)

(I had to google the partial readable phrase on the wall to look up the rest. It says, "No day shall ever erase you from the memory of time." It's from "The Aeneid" by Virgil.)

(I think this one has to be looking south at the north side of the South Tower's footprint.)

Last edited by RKOwens4; April 12th, 2010 at 10:45 PM.

Nice Find! Though I was expecting a little less stone/concrete on plaza level...

In the meantime, HD cam hath been awakened!
    Waterproofing of North Pool continues

They're saying that 5,000,000 visitors / year will be walking about this area. Something hard and tough is needed underfoot, particularly in proximity to the pools.

The image below shows the space just north of the south pool and south of Snohetta's Visitor Center (at right; entry will be on the opposite side). The "pathway" on the plaza is basically in line with Cortland Street. It is a reminder of how large this space really is. This is the first image I've seen showing the south face of the Snohetta building; interesting to see how they've treated the way the building meets the plaza here ...

Quote Originally Posted by RKOwens4 View Post

You can see on the webcam how they've started work on the planters on the plaza for the trees. It appears to be for three rows of trees, the same three rows visible in the above pic (although, not extending this far east, obviously). It would be really cool if they finish constructing these three planters and actually plant the trees in them in time for the next anniversary, a small little patch of trees right in the center of the memorial plaza. They've got five months, should be doable!

One thing that concerns me though is the proximity of the row of trees closest to the south side of the pavillion. It's so close that it seems the tree limbs are going to constantly be scratching up against the side of the building.

My guess is that these will be among the best pruned trees in town. Until future budget cuts hit, anyway.

Probably a good thing that the trees at the WTC site aren't under control of the NYC Parks.

100 years ago no one would have imagined the depths to which Central Park fell in the 1970s. It won't be long before somebody draws up an image of this Memorial / Plaza showing it 50 years on, when some unwelcome troubled times lead to a failure of maintenance and the accompanying decline of the public space.

Default Progress

Lots of new decking near the Visitors Center; from gz earthcam today ~ 6PM ...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WTC_100413_6PM.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	9178  

Saw on the news this morning, that two of the tree columns that were used to build the Twin Towers were being hauled back to Ground Zero to be set up inside the museum.

It's also been in the renderings for the last three years.

Overall site, North Pool, and South Pool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-16 003.jpg 
Views:	3146 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	9231   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-16 004.jpg 
Views:	2682 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	9232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-16 005.jpg 
Views:	2748 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	9233  

Default somberly welcoming

Quote Originally Posted by Lofter1
    This is the first image I've seen showing the south face of the Snohetta building; interesting to see how they've treated the way the building meets the plaza here ...

Vaguely familiar geometry...

great perspective of the size of the beams in the third NYK @ # 2743 pic.. Look to be about six foot tall
    Last edited by BiggieSmalls; April 16th, 2010 at 02:30 PM.