Page 232 of 341 FirstFirst ... 132182222228229230231232233234235236242282332 ... LastLast
Results 3,466 to 3,480 of 5103

Thread: WTC Memorial - by Michael Arad (Architect) and Peter Walker (Landscape)

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post

I wonder if that tree will bear fruit again. I hope it does.
    Callery Pear trees don't really bear fruit of any notable size. And most likely the birds here get them before you see them. But the trees are covered in a profusion white flowers every spring. In the past 20 years they've become a very popular tree for the streets of NYC. It will be quite a singular sight among all the oaks ...

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    I wonder if that tree will bear fruit again. I hope it does.
    The fruit is very small, bird sized. The tree is a cultivar, either Bradford or some other variety.

A sign of spring, it flowers early, before leaves develop. Clusters of small white flowers...

It'll be easy to spot among the Swamp Oaks.

Again in autumn, when the Swamp Oaks turn yellow, the Callery Pear will be deep red.

Callery pear is native to China; in 1918 seed was brought to the United States for potential use as rootstock for cultivated pears. Of the initial batch of 100 pounds of seed that was planted at the Plant Introduction Station at Glen Dale, Maryland , one vigorous, non-spiny seedling was selected and named "Bradford". The 'Bradford' callery pear proved to be an attractive landscape specimen with a neat growth form, attractive flowers and foliage, and no pests. Furthermore Bradford was not self-pollinating and thus no fruit or seeds were produced. The landscape industry popularized it and before long it was being planted in urban and suburban settings from parking lots and streets to home landscapes.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

The tree is named for French missionary J. Callery, who collected specimens in China in 1872.

Forum Veteran

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1108.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	11720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1109.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	11719

Very interesting notes on this tree, because I'm almost entirely sure I've finally identified the tree in front of my house after 18 years. Same flowers, same fruit (which I thought were some type of berry), & same leaves. The birds, squirrels, & deer love them. When the flowers fall off it leaves a lovely coating around the area of the tree. Should be nice to see a bit of wildlife at WTC when it's all done.

The Survivor's Tree this sunny morning ...

Name:	101224_WTCMemSurvTree1.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	11736

The NW part of the Plaza is being filled out, and
    the west end of the re-created section of Fulton Street
    between the Memorial Plaza and 1 WTC is starting to take shape ...

Name:	101224_WTCMemFulton2.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	11737

Name:	101224_WTCMemFulton1.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	11735

The memorial plaza looks so peaceful right now, with the trees and all the snow. Just imagine how it will look once it's done!

Moving towards twilight ...

Name:	101227_WTCSnow3.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	11788

Name:	101227_WTCSnow2.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	11789

Name:	101227_WTCSnow1.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	11790

With the snow it's fairly easy to count the trees. I count about 120 right now.

There are also some not in view, in front of Tower 4 and over by the VSC pit.

Regarding the snow: Now the pools are covered with white stuff and given the temperatures it's not going to melt on its own any time too soon. I'd think that when water is flowing in the pools that the action would melt the snow and the flow of the waterfalls would be able to continue. Anyone have inside info on this?

If the pool is filled with water then snow wouldn't be able to form. They say that they will heat water in order for it to prevent it from freezing. Although, last time I checked, hot water freezes faster than cold water.

What would be really cool(although probably catastrophic) is if the waterfalls froze in place on a really cold day.

about hot water freezing faster...your only partialy right...and I doubt it would apply here.
    It's called the "Mpemba effect," named after the Tanzanian high school student, Erasto Mpemba, who first observed it in 1963. The Mpemba effect occurs when two bodies of water with different temperatures are exposed to the same subzero surroundings and the hotter water freezes first.

Because, no doubt, most readers are extremely skeptical at this point, we should begin by stating precisely what we mean by the Mpemba effect. We start with two containers of water, which are identical in shape, and which hold identical amounts of water. The only difference between the two is that the water in one is at a higher (uniform) temperature than the water in the other. Now we cool both containers, using the exact same cooling process for each container. Under some conditions the initially warmer water will freeze first. If this occurs, we have seen the Mpemba effect. Of course, the initially warmer water will not freeze before the initially cooler water for all initial conditions. If the hot water starts at 99.9C, and the cold water at 0.01C, then clearly under those circumstances, the initially cooler water will freeze first. However, under some conditions the initially warmer water will freeze first -- if that happens, you have seen the Mpemba effect. But you will not see the Mpemba effect for just any initial temperatures, container shapes, or cooling conditions.
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/PhysFAQ/General/hot_water.html

Water sure is a strange substance.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

What are these 'some conditions', or should lazy me click on the link to find out?

I think it requires water with mineral impurities for one thing.