Page 337 of 341 FirstFirst ... 237287327333334335336337338339340341 LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,055 of 5103

Thread: WTC Memorial - by Michael Arad (Architect) and Peter Walker (Landscape)

Squirrels love acorns, but they bury their nuts for winter. During warm weather, their diet includes berries, flowers, insects, and some meat. Squirrels eat birds and bird eggs.

Like many national sites, there are no trashcans at the memorial; and I haven't seen anyone eating there. In Rules & Regulations, eating is prohibited in the museum. The memorial plaza isn't mentioned. Chewing gum is also prohibited. I wonder how that's enforced.

I think for now, squirrels will prefer Battery Park for tasty bagels from SOL and SI Ferry tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
    These are the predominantly healthy trees that were first planted when the memorial park began to take shape, back in late 2009-early 2010. Funny thing is, I thought they said that all these trees were grown simultaneously off site? Theoretically, they should all look like this, yet somehow the trunks of the trees surrounding the North Pool appear smaller.
    Some of the other trees - along West St and Fulton St - were planted most recently. I'll check out how they compare in size with the originals.

Maybe growth was constrained at the tree farm to make transportation and replanting less of a shock.

Either way, it never ceases to amaze me how natural things can grow. There is an influx of overgrowth at that plot of the memorial that is still under construction, so if the trees are given time, they can correct themselves.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

- unless they get too much stress.

Memorial organizers will be putting yellow roses in the names of all the veterans at the memorial today. They may already be there.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Is this the most popular memorial in the country or is Washington DC's Vietnam memorial still the top?

I'm sure it's right up there. Also, I can see the memorial one day being used as a scenic backdrop in a movie, preferably at night. It has a mystical feel, almost romantic, and I think it could be done respectfully and memorably.

It's certainly the most popular tourist attraction in the country without a public restroom. Way to go, PA!

I thought they had restrooms built into those vent stacks. Or maybe I could be wrong.

That would have been a logical thing to do. But the PA does not operate on logic. So we have big ugly gray vent stacks which have no bathrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by BPC View Post
    It's certainly the most popular tourist attraction in the country without a public restroom. Way to go, PA!
    It wasn't built as a tourist attraction, and its popularity would determine the size of restroom facilities, not whether or not there should be any.

So what memorials have restrooms? I can't think of any. If they exist, they are in surrounding infrastructure.

There will be restrooms in the WTC commercial complex, but because it was deemed critical that the memorial open on the 10th anniversary of 09/11, the site was built from the roof down, and the memorial opened in the middle of a construction site. BTW, this added tremendously to the cost of the transit hub.

As usually happens in hindsight, the 10th anniversary rush now seems trite. And it distorted the memorial experience for those who visited when tickets were required.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    It wasn't built as a tourist attraction, and its popularity would determine the size of restroom facilities, not whether or not there should be any.

So what memorials have restrooms? I can't think of any.
    Really? Nobody at the PA thought this would be a tourist attraction? I seem to remember the anticipated throngs of tourists being the PA's justification for spending a billion dollars on an underground garage. But apparently not a restroom. If ten years is too much of a "rush" for the PA to build a restroom, then God help us all. As for which memorials have public restrooms, I haven't done a survey, but I did use the one at the Lincoln Memorial earlier this year. The Jefferson Memorial has one as well. I'm glad the PA didn't construct those.