Thread: Advice for a soon to be New Yorker

Default Advice for a soon to be New Yorker

Looking for a little advice on where to live in the city. I am a graduate student finishing a PhD and will be moving NY to do a post-doc at Cornell medical or possibly Columbia. Probably could swing $1300-1500/month. Notice some deals theses days on the Upper East Side and I am very intersted in that area, but also understand a lot of young people are rushing to that area as well. Dont want to live with the old folks and a young crowd would be great ...but also dont want the pleasure of being surrounded by youngsters enjoying their first beer. I realize the entire upper east side probably has not turned into one giant dorm but can someone give me their take on what the atmosphere is like in that area.

Also, what is the competition like for apartments? How tough is it to get into a reasonable place?

Thanks a heap
    Russell

ya know billy joel's song 'uptown girls'? well, he wasn't talking about the west side. Go for it dude, east side rules.

Love the UES, you can't go wrong IMO. Lots of restuarants, good bars, quiet streets, busy streets, rich snobs, fun younger crowd, the park on one side the river on the other - hard to sum up the atmosphere in just a few words for this relatively large neighborhood, but I've never been disappointed.

As for competition for apartments, that's hard to say. Real Estate changes so fast, the people who are actively seeking apartments know much more than I do.

Default UWS

Hi,
    I am a real estate agent. Now you could find a studio around $1,500 no fee Midtown West in a full service building, or in the 90' East Side, same price, no fee, usually around 500 sq ft. For a large studio in a town house, UWS betw 70-89 close to CPW you should consider to spend today $1,500-1,700, plus a broker fee (usually no less than 1 month rent). Of course you can find an apt for $1,300, but I am talking about a good one on a good location.
    If you have time you can consider to contact directly the owner, or to find a sublet close to Columbia University (105-122), this is the best way to save money, but you can also have a good deal working with a good agent, even if there is a fee, since a good agent will try to lower the cost of the rent dealing with the owner for you. I would consider the UWS more than the UES, all my clients studing/working at Columbia (doctoral PHD) live in the UWS.
    If you work with an agent I recommend you to visit also at least 1/2 fee apts, so you can compare finale price/location/conditions...
    Thanks
    Marco

One downside to the UES: it has the worst subway options in the city. There's only one line (4/5/6) and it is, by far, the most crowded subway line in NYC.

Rush hour on the 4/5/6 is no picnic.