Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: East Side Access - L.I.R.R. Link to Grand Central

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    The terrorists are vital participants in New York's transportation planning.
    They've already entered architecture and urban planning. Why shouldn't they enter transportation planning as well? We should also scour our public school curriculums to make sure there is nothing in the school books that might upset the terrorists. If we do everything right, then New York City will never be a terrorist target again.

Quote Originally Posted by BPC
    We should also scour our public school curriculums to make sure there is nothing in the school books that might upset the terrorists. If we do everything right, then New York City will never be a terrorist target again.
    don't forget our cultural facilities ...

AM New York
    June 16, 2006

Grand Central LIRR terminal to go ahead

BY HERBERT LOWE
    Newsday Staff Writer

Plans for a new Long Island Rail Road station at Grand Central Terminal are moving ahead despite claims by some rider groups that the threat of terrorism is being ignored, Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials said Thursday.

"I have full confidence that the security concerns of everyone have been reviewed as part of the design for East Side Access, and I don't see any reason at the moment to make any changes," said Mitchell Pally, the Suffolk County representative on the MTA board of directors.

The authority's $7.7 billion East Side Access project, due to be completed in 2013, would link the LIRR to a station 150 feet beneath Grand Central Terminal.

In recent weeks, advocacy groups have complained to New York City police, fire and emergency management officials that, in the post-9/11 era, it is irresponsible to build a new station 15 stories below street level.

"As many as 8,000 passengers could be trapped in these terminals in the event of an emergency," the New Jersey Association of Railroad Passengers, Empire State Passengers Association, Lackawanna Coalition, Straphangers Campaign and Institute for Rational Urban Mobility wrote in a joint letter sent to various officials.

George Haikalis, president of the institute, has long championed an alternative plan for the new terminal: getting the LIRR trains to Grand Central on existing tracks under Park Avenue owned by Metro-North Railroad. Those tracks are only 20 feet below street level, Haikalis said.

"In this age of terrorism, why put people in these caverns?" he said.

MTA officials say they have studied Haikalis' idea and concluded that, if implemented, it would impede Metro-North's ability to function in the terminal along with the LIRR. The officials also say they don't have any choice but to build the stations so deep underground.

"This is the only way we could build this project because of the existing utility lines and commuter rail and subway tunnels," said Timothy O'Brien, a spokesman for the authority. "We have to go underneath them. That's what dictates the depths."

O'Brien also said several subway stations across the city and in other major cities, including London and Madrid, are at least 150 feet below street level.

Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne said the department's counterterrorism bureau has reviewed the East Side Access project. Browne declined to discuss the matter, saying the department does not comment publicly on potential vulnerabilities of such projects.

Copyright 2006 AM New York

Forum Veteran

NY1

MTA Awards Contract For East Side Access Tunnel

July 13, 2006

The East Side Access project is slowly becoming a reality: A Spanish firm has been awarded a huge contract to build a tunnel underneath Park Avenue to allow Long Island Rail Road trains access to Grand Central Terminal.

The LIRR will be linked to an existing subway tunnel at 63rd Street, but a new tunnel must be built from the Manhattan end of that tunnel and Second Avenue, over to Park Avenue and down to Grand Central.

"It’s very important for 75,000 people who now commute into Manhattan from the suburbs and they end up on the west side of Manhattan at Penn Station and this will bring them into Grand Central, where many of them have their work,” said Gene Russianoff of the Straphangers Campaign.

This will be a joint venture between a company in College Point, Queens, and the one in Spain. The $430 million contract amount is less than expected because the Spanish firm already has the necessary tunneling machinery.

The MTA hopes to have the project completed by 2013.

Forum Veteran

dont bet on 2013 if the MTA is running the show, they take four years to rehab a subway station

The Dude Abides

http://www.3d-win.com

Renderings by DMJM + Harris

The 50th Street ventilation building:

Forum Veteran

snazzy.

Looks suspiciously like the present Penn Station.

Architectural Padawan

I disagree... it looks like the pedestrian walkways are designed to make sense. The current Penn Station is so poorly organized it would be better to say its just a collection of walkways that happen to meet up with some train tracks (with the exception of the Amtrak section, I like that train station).

My fear with this project is that the LIRR section of the station will feel like a different station from the Metro-North section. This would make it exactly like Penn where NJ Transit, LIRR and Amtrak are basically 3 separate stations sharing the same 32 tracks (or whatever the number is). I realize that there will be a degree of disconnect from the two stations due to the space between them, but in a perfect world, tracks 201-208 will simply feel like another sublevel like tracks 101-117.

Actually the reworking of the LIRR concourse was a major improvement to Penn Station. If you used the LIRR, it made things much more efficient. It also made it more pleasent (or at least less unpleasent). Penn Station was a major dump before the renovation.

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos
    I disagree... it looks like the pedestrian walkways are designed to make sense. The current Penn Station is so poorly organized it would be better to say its just a collection of walkways that happen to meet up with some train tracks (with the exception of the Amtrak section, I like that train station).

My fear with this project is that the LIRR section of the station will feel like a different station from the Metro-North section. This would make it exactly like Penn where NJ Transit, LIRR and Amtrak are basically 3 separate stations sharing the same 32 tracks (or whatever the number is). I realize that there will be a degree of disconnect from the two stations due to the space between them, but in a perfect world, tracks 201-208 will simply feel like another sublevel like tracks 101-117.

Forum Veteran

I'll agree, but the terrazzo looks much shiny-er.

The ventilation building replaces my favorite deli, but I won't mind having a park next door... if I keep the same job for 20 years.

Forum Veteran

10/18/06
    NY Daily News

Feds OK $2.65B for LIRR ride to the East Side

The last big hurdle in extending the Long Island Rail Road to the East Side was cleared yesterday when the Bush administration approved a $2.65 billion grant for the project.
    "It's a great day for New York. This deal is done," said Rep. Pete King (R-L.I.). "This guarantees the project will be done."

The Federal Transit Administration sent its funding proposal yesterday to Congress for approval after a 60-day review. King said he didn't anticipate any snags because transportation committees in both houses have endorsed the plan.

"I look forward to the signing of the final full-funding grant agreement and the benefits it will bring to our region," Gov. Pataki said.

The federal dollars represent about 40% of the $6.3 billion needed for the project. The remainder of the funds will come from local and state sources, and through the selling of bonds.

The so-called East Side Access project will bring LIRR commuters into Grand Central Terminal. The project also includes a new commuter rail station in Sunnyside, Queens.

The project is expected to be completed by 2013, and will serve up to 180,000 riders daily.

"East Side Access is a vital project for the future viability of our region's economy, and I look forward to signing the full-funding agreement by the end of this year," MTA Chairman Peter Kalikow said.

Bill Hutchinson

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6 View Post
    dont bet on 2013 if the MTA is running the show, they take four years to rehab a subway station
    They have been installing the escalators and elevators at 34th st Herald Sq station for what seems to be an eternity. Are there not enough contractors in the city to do the job?

it seems that elevators throught the MTA system are a joke -- they had to be installed to meet the Disabilities Act, but maintenance by MTA is seemingly zero on elevators, which makes like all that more difficult for handicapped / wheelchair bound citizens .

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast