Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: NYC Parks

Default NYC Parks

Hello Everyone!

I learn that there are more than 1,700 parks in the city (Parks ranges from swimming pools, wetlands, woodlands and skating rinks.)

http://www.nycgovparks.org/

Lets just talk about parks with green grass if you know what I mean.

So I will like to know as New Yorkers and/or Visitors on what is your favorite green public park in the city?

I am a new New Yorker (just move in January) and I love Central Park...but I don't know much of other parks. What Parks will you recomend me to go and visit and which ones are to dangerous to go to.

Do you feel a special connection to a particular park that you want to shared your opinions about? :wink:

Forum Veteran

I like the riverside parks in Battery Park City, big enough, modern, great views.

I haven't been in many parks that amaze me... because I just don't think of parks as amazing... but there's the obvious Central Park and the Great Lawn of Prospect Park looked nice.

Chism City Park in College Point is my personal favorite.

The riverside park in Battery Park City is a good design for a modern park. I agree. :wink:

I never visited Chism City Park...How big is the park? Is it a square park or a long park next to the waterfront?. I heard good things about College Point. A neighborhood next to a river has its benefits for a good park.

I never met a park I didn't like.

Brooklyn:

Sunset Park. On high ground, great views.

Owls Head Park. Also on high ground.

Fort Hamilton Park

Brooklyn Bridge Park. Just started.

Queens:

Fort Tilden. Western Rockaway

Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge. Broad Channel.

Powell's Cove Park

Manhattan:

Fort Tryon Park

Inwood Hill Park

Swindler Cove, on the Harlem River

The Bronx:

Joyce Kilmer Park. Grand Concourse

:shock: Wow!!!

Great photos...thanks for sharing.

Forum Veteran

Never heard of Chism either. Is that the one on 20th, by the Whitestone expressway?

BTW, I live IN Powell's Cove park. Sounds funny, but my house was carved into it 3 years ago. 27 two family attached houses with park to the back, left and right.

In case anyone cared...

Never heard of Chism either. Is that the one on 20th, by the Whitestone expressway?
    No its as Krulltime guessed off of the East River.

I never visited Chism City Park...How big is the park? Is it a square park or a long park next to the waterfront?. I heard good things about College Point. A neighborhood next to a river has its benefits for a good park.
    Yeah College Point has alot of Character, it has a large German/Hungarian ethnicity. This park is one of its better kept secrets, its large, but cozy in its own right.

Quote Originally Posted by billyblancoNYC

BTW, I live IN Powell's Cove park. Sounds funny, but my house was carved into it 3 years ago. 27 two family attached houses with park to the back, left and right.

In case anyone cared...
    I like the design of Powell's Cove park. The natural salt marsh shoreline is being done in several places. The Swindler Cove photo is a view to Sherman Creek, where a salt marsh restoration was completed last fall.

I never heard of Chism park. Is that the same as MacNeil park in the NW part of College Pt?

I heard that flushing park in queens is one of the most dangerous in NYC? Is it true?

Forum Veteran

Flushing Meadows Park? I don'tt think so...

Personally, my favorite walk is in Central Park. My dad and I go for a regular walk together: in through the Miner's Gate by the Met at 79th, down to the Great Lawn, making a circuit of that, turning right at the Shakespeare Theater, going along the 72nd Street Drive until we get to the Ramble, where we either turn into that and walk to the Boathouse; or circle around the Lake, past Bethesda Terrace, walk towards the Boating Pond and head out around 76th Street.

I also like peoplewatching in Washington Square (thankfully, the dealers there don't push and are barely to be seen before nightfall, and the arch is almost fully restored and looks great) and going to Hudson River Park and just sitting on a bench watching the boats go by.

Forum Veteran

Other nice ones... Bryant Park, Prospect Park, Astoria Park (mostly for the view), the parks in Queens West.

The list goes on and the new additions coming will be even more amazing... a completed Hudson River Park (already nice), Brooklyn Bridge Park, more Queens West Parks, Williamsburg/Greenpoint waterfront parks, Staten Island Fresh Kills (2200 acre plus) park.

The list goes on...

Forum Veteran

Default Lower Manhattan Park Developments

I never heard of Chism park. Is that the same as MacNeil park in the NW part of College Pt?
    The location sounds about right.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast