Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bedford-Stuyvesant Neighborhood Architecture

Default Bedford-Stuyvesant Neighborhood Architecture

I'm Australian and was looking to buy a brownstone in Brooklyn and was blown away by the Victorian architecture in the Bedford-Stuyvesant area.
    I took a number of photos and put them here: http://www.nyc-architecture.com/BES/BedStuy.htm
    I found that a 2 family typically costs around 400K. Has anybody else got any images of architecture in Bed-Stuy or the surrounding area?

Forum Veteran

Nice to see some more Aussie blood in NYC. Seems to be more and more coming. Is this true?

Anyway, good choice with Bed-Stuy. Beautiful buildings, good location, increasingly safe and becoming nicer each day. It's the natural progression from points West.

If you buy in the area, a few years from now, I'm fairly certain you will be pleased as the area continues to improve and prices close to double.

Good luck.

Default ozzies

yes, there really are a lot (heaps, we would say) of ozzies turning up in NY. I hear the accent all the time. London used to be the traditional haunt of expat ozzies (with up to 200,000 of them there) but increasingly all major foreign cities have a few and the NY and LA populations have really swelled during the last boom. We really like our "walkabout".
    Thanks for the encouragement on Bed-Stuy.
    cheers tom

Forum Veteran

Your site is amazing... even though I've only seen the Bed Stuy section. For the most part, I had never seen or heard of any of those wonderful works of architecture.

I'm adding it to the list of places to go and I'm adding you to my site's links too.

June 19, 2008, 4:15 pm

In Bed-Stuy, a 101-Year-Old Library Reopens

By Sewell Chan

The Macon branch of the Brooklyn Public Library, on Lewis Avenue in Bedford-Stuyvesant, reopened after a $2 million renovation. (Photo: Kelly Shimoda for The New York Times)

The Macon branch of the Brooklyn Public Library, one of 18 Brooklyn libraries that opened from 1901 to 1923 through the support of the steel magnate Andrew Carnegie, reopened on Thursday afternoon after a two-year, $2 million renovation.

The library, a two-story, neoclassical building at 361 Lewis Avenue with original fireplaces, oak paneling, alcoves and wooden benches, opened on July 15, 1907, in a ceremony that drew about 2,000 visitors, according to the library’s records. The Macon branch has provided nearly continuous service over the past century to Bedford-Stuyvesant.

“We are pleased to reopen Macon Library as a mainstay for access to information, books and materials for the Bedford-Stuyvesant community” said Dionne Mack-Harvin, executive director of the Brooklyn Public Library.

Among the more prominent people who have used the library over the decades were Joan Maynard (1928-2006), the founder of what is now the Weeksville Heritage Center, which honors the memory of a 19th-century community of free blacks; John Steptoe (1950-1989), a writer and illustrator of children’s books; and Donna Hill, a romance novelist born in 1955.

The library, which is 17,968 square feet, has undergone previous renovations, in 1948 and 1949 and again from 1973 to 1977, when the interior was modernized and an auditorium constructed. The latest renovation, started in June 2006, was financed by the City Council and the Bloomberg administration.

The upgrades include a new African-American Heritage Center, focusing on local history; a space for infants and preschool children; a “complete face-lift” of the interior, including machines that allow users to check out materials on their own; and new lighting and electric fixtures.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...brary-reopens/

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

Quote Originally Posted by thomasjfletcher View Post
    I found that a 2 family typically costs around 400K.
    What do you mean by "2-famnily?" Do you eman a townhouse that contians two family-sized apartments? Or what?

A 2 family house. They are quite common basically two apartments in one building or house.

One thing you'd want to check before buying is how much TAX is due per year, I'm seeing horrendously high real estate taxes even on run-down tenements.
    I know the cable building was assessed at $9 million and the taxes were $900,000 or basically around 10%
    Sure would suck paying $40,000 a year in taxes on a $400,000 brownstone!

A house in NYC (Bed-Stuy is part of Brooklyn, right?) for 400K? That 200K GBP... time for some shopping, I think...

Just you wait till i gets my hard-earned cash back from HM government...

What's with the tax issue? Is it a % of some govt.-determined value?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

That is a 2004 figure. Check out the date of that post.

Bedford-Stuyvesant is one of the higher crime, economically-depressed neighborhoods in the city.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

Bedford-Stuyvesant is one of the higher crime, economically-depressed neighborhoods in the city.
    also the one where people now drop 1 mill on a dilapidated bstone. crazy times.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

I wuz gonna say!!!

But with 'bones' like that, next economic upswing (2010=) will gentrify it, I bet.

Love it. Beautiful, and it doesn't look expensive to reproduce either. There's not a lot of design out there that can be reproduced by the plebes.

Just beautiful!

A traditional building with a modern accent. Or a modern building with a traditional accent?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast