Thread: These guys did not want to sell - New York Holdouts

Default These guys did not want to sell - New York Holdouts

I guess the Macy's is the most well known example of a holdout in the corner of the building. These guys did not want to sell or asked a rediculous price for it so they decided to built around it:

There is a great book about this kind of stuff:here is the Amazon link to it.

Default These guys did not want to sell

Odd. I hadn't even noticed it due to the huge sign.

Quote: from Kris on 5:37 pm on Dec. 23, 2002
    Odd. I hadn't even noticed it due to the huge sign.
    I think that's the idea behind the sign. *It would lessen the impact to see that Macy's does not actually take up the entire block.

Another very famous holdout is the Russian Tea Room on W.57th st. between 6th and 7th avenues. *There are two huge skyscrapers built on two sides of the restaurant (Metropolitan Tower and Carnegie Tower). *Had it not been for the holdout, it would have been one scraper.
    Last edited by Kris; October 4th, 2009 at 11:01 AM.

I love holdouts. They add so much more character to the streetscape and certainly provide a historical footnote to the otherwise modern surrondings...

Forum Veteran

The old City Investing Building downtown, on the site of One Liberty Plaza, is an example of building around a holdout. *The developers combined several different lots on that block, but the owner of one lowrise building refused to give up his parcel. *So they had to build around that one building, creating a very asymmetrical tower.

skyscrapers.com has a few pictures of it; the most well-known painting is on the link below:

http://www.skyscrapers.com/english/f...im6/index.html

^ .

Just found this while looking for something else:

Holdout buildings that survived the bulldozer
    They’re the survivors of New York City real estate—the walkups and low-rise buildings now dwarfed by shiny office towers and more contemporary residences.

February, 2015

Each building probably has a different backstory that explains how the wrecking ball was avoided.

Maybe an owner refused to sell for sentimental reasons. This lovely Greenwich Village brownstone, sandwiched between two tall apartment houses above, looks like it could have been one person’s longtime romantic hideaway.

Or perhaps an owner tried to hold out for a bigger offer, until a developer realized it wasn’t worth the payout anyway. That might have been in the case of this one-story space wedged between a 19th century tenement and 21st century box on Tenth Avenue.

And thanks to real estate rules governing landmark structures and historic districts, some of these buildings probably couldn’t be torn down, like the gorgeous carriage house on a Gramercy side street.

It’s hard not to root for these underdogs. This ivy-covered walkup on East 60th Street gives bustling 59th Street near Bloomingdale’s the feel of a smaller-scale city.

Doesn’t this stately red townhouse do a good job breaking up the monotony of a block of Murray Hill terraced high-rise apartment buildings?

I can’t be the only New Yorker happy to see a Gilded Age limestone mansion holding its own in the middle of a stately Upper West Side block.

https://ephemeralnewyork.wordpress.c...ozer/#comments