Thread: Far west side - pre-war apartment building?

Default Far west side - pre-war apartment building?

I just moved to new york (from missouri of all places) and hence my ignorance about the local buildings and their storied histories.

For one of my classes I need to do a market study on two buildings (with the same classification; e.g., luxury apartment, class A office, etc.) in the same sub-market, one newly constructed building (last 10 yrs) and the other a pre-war building.

I'm really interested in all the new construction that been happening on the far west side around 42nd st. and finding a new residential tower, not a problem. coming up with a pre-war apartment building (along with information about it) has proved more difficult.

does anyone have any suggestions for me? I'd really appreciate your insights.

thanks a billion,
    -cg.

Hi, cgirl, welcome to Wired New York.

If you go with apartment buildings, maybe the Model Tenements for New York Fireproof Tenement Association, 500-506 West 42nd Street, south-west corner 10th Avenue, built in 1900 and designed by Ernest Flagg. I got this info from the AIA Guide to New York City. Hope this helps.

Default Prewar resources

You may be interested in my new book "Prewar Shopping: A Guide to the Finest Manhattan Prewar Apartment Houses". Author is me, Geoff Lynch.

It's a buyers guide, with an emphasis on searching by architect. With almost 500 buildings listed, and almost 250, it helps buyers search for the lesser known, but still wonderful apartment house, by the great prewar architects such as Rosario Candela and Emery Roth, and many more.

Examples are 800 West End Avenue, where you can find a sumptuous 1,600 sf 2 bedroom, designed by Rosario Candela. Or another of his at 315 West 106th Street.

Post Pre war apartment buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Biondo View Post
    You may be interested in my new book "Prewar Shopping: A Guide to the Finest Manhattan Prewar Apartment Houses". Author is me, Geoff Lynch.
    I will check it out!

Speaking of Emory Roth / Far West Side: there is a very hansom looking apartment building on Tieman Street, Between Broadway & River Side Drive – the north side of the street.

It is a real stand-out from the other generic brick buildings on that block; someone who lives in the area told me Emory Roth was the architect.

I know that is not much to go on: but do you know anything about that buiding and if so, please post some photos/links.

Cheers

^ Anice building. A little ornament goes a long way. Too bad the other buildings on this block have lost their cornices.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    ^ Anice building.
    Yes, I know it's 'a nice' building: and I call it 'a hansom' building - let's not quibble here.

O.K. Just kidding and thanks, I did the search: it is currently been dubbed “the Whitestone Apartments”.

Take a look at the photo on the PDF file listed under - Whitestone Apartments, 45 Tiemann Place

That building – and many other terrific large photos of the UWS architecture – can be found in the same PDF file.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/env_...anville/08.pdf

Default Prewars

800 Riverside Drive, The Grinnell, not far away, by Schwartz & Gross, is another unknown gem. Apartments are huge

Post Far West Side

Quote Originally Posted by Biondo View Post
    800 Riverside Drive, The Grinnell, ....... Apartments are huge
    Yes, nice one; but do you mean they ‘were’ large – are there any pre-war apartments at all that have not had their apartment units subdivided.

http://www.audubonparkny.com/Audubon...rive-1016.html

excerpt - When it was new, the Grinnell featured many of the standard amenities, with layouts “designed to meet the requirements of those accustomed to private houses” and “rentals 30% less that the Middle West Side.” Until World War II, the Grinnell had uniformed staff, twenty-four hour elevator service, and mail delivery to apartment doors – twice a day. Every apartment had a dumbwaiter so that deliveries could be made through the rear entrance and basement. The dumbwaiters also served to transport rubbish and soiled clothes to the basement, which contained a building-operated laundry. Until recently, large drying racks remained as a reminder of those days. Stories passed on by early residents report that the Grinnell’s management gave dances for the residents every spring – on the roof, with a full orchestra.