Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flatiron Building - 175 Fifth Avenue @ Broadway - by Daniel Burnham

Default Flatiron Building - 175 Fifth Avenue @ Broadway - by Daniel Burnham

The much less popular southern face.

Very nice detail in the fourth picture; I hadn't seen those designs before. Buildings really do take on a new life when seen up-close.

Forum Veteran

I'm always impressed by those little protruding curves that start coming up the facade at the ~7th floor. They make the sides much more interesting and help them flow.

Excellent, as usual.

The angels on top are reproductions from photographs - the originals are lost. The recently installed ones are said to look more adult.

*Wonderful* pictures indeed, of another favorite !

[ Note to self : (try to) take pictures like these next time you have the chance ]

Here's one from another angle, from the ESB observatory :

[/img]

P.S. This one is from july last year. Are the ones above more recent ? I noticed the ugly billboard on the east side of the building ... that really is a shame and completely out of place next to such an elegant landmark building, don't you think ?

There's a photo here with the rascals missing.

The photos were taken today. In my opinion, the billboard seems to fit the environment. At least it's not as distracting as it would be in the view of Woolworth.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    In my opinion, the billboard seems to fit the environment.
    Well in a sense you're right of course, it could have been worse. I just find it kind of ruins the 'balance' of the view, from that angle.
    I saw a picture in a book, of this building when it was near completion, the brick building in the back wasn't there yet at the time, or it was a smaller/lower one, and you can see the complete top and dome of the nice building behind it on the corner of 5th/22nd as well. Lovely.
    Then again, the traffic in that sepia picture are mostly horses and carriages

Two questions :

1) Anyone here know how the original angels on top of the building got "lost" ? I assume they were damaged or taken down somehow ?
    2) Some tourguides/websites say that this was the first Manhattan building to use a steel frame, others say it isn't. If it's not, which one is, then ?

I know it wasn't the first in NYC to use a steel frame. It was briefly the world's tallest, though.

The first steel-frame building in NYC was the Tower Building, built in 1888 by Bradford Lee Gilbert at 50 Broadway. About 160 feet. The reason Gilbert used steel is because the site was only 20 ft wide, and thick masonry walls would have taken up too much floor space.

Too bad it was demolished.

Here's a construction photo of the Flatiron.

http://www.nyc-architecture.com

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by dbhstockton
    I know it wasn't the first in NYC to use a steel frame. It was briefly the world's tallest, though.
    But wasn't the Park Row Building taller and a year earlier?

right, so they had been using steel frames about a decade earlier than the Flatiron building already... too bad that building was demolished... Wasn't there also a beautiful art deco building near City Hall that was eventually demolished to make way for the renewed entrance / road to the Brooklyn Bridge ?

And anyone know the story behind those "lost" angels from the building's rooftop ? That story really made me curious ...

Forum Veteran

You mean the New York World Building (the one that was demolished to make way for a new BB ramp)? It wasn't art deco (way too early), but it was quite lovely:

(skyscrapers.com)

Thats another very common misconception. The Flat Iron Building was never the world's tallest.

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    You mean the New York World Building (the one that was demolished to make way for a new BB ramp)? It wasn't art deco, but it was quite lovely:

(skyscrapers.com)
    Thanks for posting that ! I know scyscrapers.com but missed this. Yeah, wonderful building, that one. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    Thats another very common misconception. The Flat Iron Building was never the world's tallest.
    If that's the case (and I am of course assuming you're right) both NYC guides I have make that mistake. One of them is the DK Eyewitness guide, and normally those are pretty good / accurate, even though they're just "tourist" guides.
    That sort of thing makes you wonder what other mistakes are in there ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast