Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Flatiron Building - 175 Fifth Avenue @ Broadway - by Daniel Burnham

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    Some of that "doody brown" paint color can be seen in this photo:
    ERRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

The gilded-domed building on the right is the recently renovated Sohmer Piano Building.

Dang, that penthouse in the Sohmer would be nice.

Something available here: http://www.hoboken-real-estates.com/sohmer_building.htm

Down 5th Ave

Forum Veteran

my favorite NYC building

Flatiron Building, March 2007.

I love this building. I feel like it has been wrapped in various forms of scaffold for years now. Anyone know what the deal is? At least there isn't any "advertecture" a la H&M ads on it anymore.

Meanwhile, I'd love to see the traffic islands, and the whole intersection of 23rd Street and Broadway and Fifth Avenues for that matter, revamped. They could really green, and combine some of those islands to make things far more pleasing in terms of pedestrian safety and aesthetics.

Same goes for the large, barren concrete triangle created by the intersection of Fifth and Broadway between 24th and 25th streets. There's a structure on that island that I've always been curious about. It has a door. Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about.

Update: Sat image of island:

Last edited by macreator; April 12th, 2007 at 11:20 PM.

If you are talking about the Worth Memorial (the Obeslisk on the small island btwn 24th & 25th), then I think the door you are refering to is actually the door to a tomb:

Dedication of the Worth Memorial, November 25, 1857
    (Collection of the New-York Historical Society)
    General William Jenkins Worth (1794-1849), a New York State native, distinguished himself in the War of 1812, various Indian campaigns and the Mexican War. The monument raised over his grave near Madison Square was one of the first to be erected in a city park since the statue of George III was removed from Bowling Green in 1776.

from nycgovparks.org

macreator, thanks for bringing that up. I've always wondered why the barren islands in front of one of the most famous buildings in the world weren't given a bit more attention.

The Dude Abides

Same goes for Astor Place, and until very recently, Duffy Square in Times Square. Isn't there a group out there that was campaigning to redo all these traffic islands into places that are more pedestrian friendly?

It's so amazing how the angle of the building at the intersection can create so many illusions at once. The length of each wall also adds to the illusion, because depending on what angle you are looking at it from, one wall could be fully seen while the other is almost half-hidden behind itself... hard to explain, really. But if you look from either side without seeing past the angled part, the whole building looks very thin... it's such a deceiving work of art! I love it!

Some of the detail they put in to older buildings was incredible. One excellent example is the Woolworth Building:

The top is one of the most incredible pieces of architecture I've ever seen; the amount of detail that was put in to the points and spikes, and all the effort put in to the carvings etc. Back in those days everything was very concrete and stone, or fine wood furnishings; these days it's all glass and metal.

Joelio- Since your brought up the Woolworth Building, I'd like to direct your attention to an amazing thread started by Stern. It is a poll on NYC's greatest architectural losses, (other what we usually talk about). The thread is chock full of vintage images of the "greatest of greats," with some stories behind them:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=12561

Macreator- So glad you brought up those pedestrian islands. I wish that the city had as much interest in their safety and aesthetics as we have.

There were plans a couple of years back to reconfigure the streets / crosswalks / pedestrian islands in the area around the Flaitron Building -- but the cost estimate wss outrageously high and the city therefore chose to go the route of painted lines, plastic barriers and other assorted things that we now see in this area.

From November 15, 2000:

Archives of the Mayor's Press Office

PEDESTRIAN SEPARATORS
    • The installation of pedestrian separators at highly congested locations enhances the safety of pedestrians, while increasing road capacity. Additional pedestrian separators have been installed along Fifth Avenue at East 50th Street and between West 23rd and West 24th Streets. Fences have also been installed on both sides of Herald Square between 33rd and 34th Streets, and on Park Avenue at East 33rd Street. Currently 5,700 feet of fencing exists.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast