Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: 80 South Street - Lower Manhattan

It is a stylish building; Calatrava at his best, as usual. I'm glad he is focusing his efforts more on New York City. As NYatKNIGHT mentioned, it provides a nice balance to the skyline...complete with its Freedom Tower-esque spire.

There's obviously another rendering available.

Scanned image from the Times:

The "Fact Sheet" on Christian's link say it will be 12 cubes at 45 feet high plus a 90 foot base. That only adds up to 630 feet. I have a feeling it is 835 feet to the tip if its spire, otherwise where is the missing 205 feet? Granted there might be a little additional say for a few feet between the cubes or some stuff on the roof but not 205 feet.
    To quote the NYTIMES: a structure reaching 1,000 feet at the tip of its mast

3) Unfortunately, tall apartment buildings are not usually lit up at night (e.g., Trump World Tower). I hope this will be an exception.
    In the rendering NYatKnight posted the core will be lit. Im sure Caltrava will also add some cross bracings or some other sort of visual excitement to the blank walls.

Lastly at only 175,000 square feet 80 South Street will be the world's tallest sliver building. Something entirely appropriate for the older cigar shaped towers that had romanticized the New York skyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    The "Fact Sheet" on Christian's link say it will be 12 cubes at 45 feet high plus a 90 foot base. That only adds up to 630 feet. I have a feeling it is 835 feet to the tip if its spire, otherwise where is the missing 205 feet? Granted there might be a little additional say for a few feet between the cubes or some stuff on the roof but not 205 feet.
    To quote the NYTIMES: a structure reaching 1,000 feet at the tip of its mast
    Hence my question about where the extra 205 feet is.

Hence my question about where the extra 205 feet is.
    That really should answer it :?

The extra 205 feet is the mast.

The building is 835 feet, the Times is yet to print erroneous figures.

I'm still confused. There's the base (90 feet), cubes (+540 feet to 630 feet), then mast (to 1000 feet). Where's the 835 foot mark? Halfway up the mast?

Forum Veteran

What the hell?

I come online and there's this thousand foot thing proposed for the East side.

What the hell?

Where did it come from?

I suppose I shouldn't be concerned with that as apparently here it is, but.... not even pre-hype?

I'm undecided as to whether I like it or not, but it's definitely bold and I really like the spire (esp., with that picture including the other two downtown).

My mom saw this and she's like "THAT THING??!!???!?!" She's not fond on contemporary architecture...

This is just so, like, where the hell did it come from?

Actually I like it more now. Like at the 65% approval rating or so. It'll probably get to 85% by tomorrow or next week.

Perhaps the Fact Sheet is wrong? The base looks like it could be more than 90 feet and there is definitely some space between each 45' block.

Anyway, we shouldn't get attached to any numbers or renderings at this early stage.

There can't be that much space between the blocks if the roof of one is the terrace of the one above it. Certainly not enough to add up to another 205 feet. Even if its a 10 foot drop to the terrace below that's only another 110 feet.

My only guess is that there's space between the base and the first block but 205 feet of it doesn't make sense.

I don't doubt the Times, but I just haven't figured out yet.

"...reaching 1000 feet..." could refer to the elevation above sea level. For official document purposes the absolute elevation is usually used and could account for the difference. That part of the island could easily be 205', because the average elevation of the sidewalks around the WTC site is about 315'.

Forum Veteran

Maybe the Times made a miscalculation. Count the number of cubes and you'll notice that there are thirteen , not counting the base, and not twelve as the Times reported.

It looks so much taller than 835 feet in the renderings to me!

Jasonik, that part of the island is about 10 feet above sea level (NY Harbor and the East River are sea level). In fact, South Street extended into the river.

FYI, most Manhattan skyscrapers are between 15 and 80 feet above sea level, and the highest point on Manhattan (north of the GW Bridge) is 265'.

The WTC was about 15' above sea level, remember the bathtub was built to keep the Hudson River out.

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast