Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: 80 South Street - Lower Manhattan

It is so different than anything you find in NYC...hmmm :shock:

I LOVE IT!!! Build it!

Do you guys notice those 2 lines holding the cubes...I hope they light up at night all the way to the top! Then it will be a perfect tower. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Pottebaum
    It looks so much taller than 835 feet in the renderings to me!
    The renderings are deceptive in that there are not really any tall buildings around the tower. Depending on the camera angle, you could make this thing look taller than even the Freedom Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT
    Jasonik, that part of the island is about 10 feet above sea level (NY Harbor and the East River are sea level). In fact, South Street extended into the river.

FYI, most Manhattan skyscrapers are between 15 and 80 feet above sea level, and the highest point on Manhattan (north of the GW Bridge) is 265'.

The WTC was about 15' above sea level, remember the bathtub was built to keep the Hudson River out.
    I remember reading about certain borough datums, and from the WTC memorial competition I learned that the wtc site is at approximately 315'.

Taken from: http://www.pobonline.com/CDA/Article...,91036,00.html
    I have found the source of my confusion.

"Most of the work in New York City, however, is tied to a specific borough datum. In Manhattan for example, the Manhattan vertical datum is 2.75' above mean sea level at Sandy Hook. Transit Authority vertical datum is 100.1' above the Manhattan vertical datum. Similarly, the Port Authority vertical datum is 297.347' above NGVD 29. The Transit Authority and Port Authority, with tunnels well below sea level, use these datums so engineers and surveyors can work in positive numbers."

NGVD 29 = National Geodetic Vertical Datum of 1929

This doesn't explain the height differential, but a good factoid nevertheless.

Heh.

Well, this will give me a good reason to shut up about One New York Place for a while! :lol:

I love it in a strange way, and a bold move like this will only bring more buildings Downtown...

I feel complete. :wink:

Another dramatic Calatrava residential tower: Turning Torso

The building looks decent from the front and sides, but what about the back? It looks like there will be a skinny empty wall from the first rendering.

Forum Veteran

Maybe the cultural space at street level could be a mini-Guggenheim. Hey, it's pretty much on the East River.

Default Re: Residential Calatrava Tower on South Street

Quote Originally Posted by dbhstockton

I love it!!!

Perhaps not every preservationist would agree that a structure reaching 1,000 feet at the tip of its mast would complement a nearby precinct of 19th-century countinghouses.
    Perhaps not, but its another peak on the skyline!

Quote Originally Posted by ddny
    The building looks decent from the front and sides, but what about the back? It looks like there will be a skinny empty wall from the first rendering.
    The east elevation will show the cubes stacked in checkerboard fashion, except that they will overlap each other by the width of the core. You won't see the core at all.

From the west, the short side of the core rectangle will be visable, and you will see the cubes cantilevered out from the core. I think it will be dramatic.

I have a feeling that the thing is not going to get built. Would be awesome if it was, though.

Really? I think just the opposite.

It's as-of-right.
    Not bulky, and won't flood the area with too many residents (2 big NIMBY issues).
    Easily marketable.
    Positive statements from CB1 chair.

Did the developer's timing of the project release take advantage of the architect's sudden popularity in New York?

Is there anything in that lot now?

Forum Veteran

Read the article. It says.

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast