Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: 80 South Street - Lower Manhattan

:shock: WOW...What happen!

It looks cool I must say. But the Brooklyn bridge must stay forever...It could become a tourist atraction anyway...The rest of the bridges can be destroy and replace with modern ones.

Now a beach...I don't know about that.

I don't know why we would ever get rid of the Brookyn Bridge, but that drawing does resemble some of the Olympic Village proposals...

That vision of the future is so typical of the '50s or '60s, when anything old was demolished for the sake of "progress". People finally snapped out of it after Penn Station.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by matt3303
    That vision of the future is so typical of the '50s or '60s, when anything old was demolished for the sake of "progress". People finally snapped out of it after Penn Station.
    Still, we ought to demolish a lot of those "progressive" buildings and replace them with quality architecture. One of these days 55 Water has got to go.

55 Water is special in his own way...

Leave him alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz

Instead of making wild guesses on the project's price points, examine the initial sales prices. They were listed in the NY Post on 4/3.

Calatrava condos NO one will accuse buyers of 80 South Street Tower of being square - or poor. The Santiago Calatrava-designed, 835- foot-tall structure will consist of 11 perfectly cubed four-floor townhouse-type residences measuring 11,000 square feet and costing more than $30 million. Each 45-by-45-foot cube will include a 2,000-square-foot terrace - actually the rooftop of the residence below - which can accomodate pools and gardens. And if you're willing to share, developer Frank Sciame of F.J. Sciame Construction says the individual cubes can be split into two residences. Calatrava, a Spanish architect who is known for his extravagant bridges and train stations, has also designed the new transportation hub for the World Trade Center, featuring a glass-and-steel "Grand Point of Arrival." The residential project is expected to take 18 months to complete after ground is broken at the beginning of next year. Prices are expected to range between $2,800 and $3,500 per square foot.

http://www.nypost.com/realestate/18032.htm
    I just don't see them selling for that much. The highest cubes maybe, but certianly not the one closest to the highway with the less than spectacular view of the FDR. The Brooklyn Bridge view would be nice, but $3K a foot?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyo
    There is no question that these units will sell, and probably be bid up from $30M. Look at Perry St. apartments, or even the apartments in TWC. This would have it all: status, premier architect, location, amenities.
    gotta disagree that this location is really desireable compared to the Perry St. Tribeca location.

Are they building this thing? Or was it dismissed!?

I believe that they are in the process of marketing it. They have to find at least half of the buyers first, before they could start construction.

Santiago Calatrava is amazing love his 80th South Street Design. I give him KUDOS.

I was unimpressed with this stack of chiclets when I saw the announcement (maybe perhaps because of unconcious NIMBYism that I hate to admit having - it would wipe out the sliver of sky I can see across Fletcher St. from my window) but after a week in the Milwaukee Art Museum, I am a convert. VIVA CALATRAVA!

From the May 2004 Issue of New York Construction News

http://newyork.construction.com/news/design/default.asp

Designs for Downtown Tower Unveiled

F.J. Sciame Construction Co., Inc. and renowned Spanish architect and engineer Santiago Calatrava unveiled plans for an 835-foot-tall residential tower to be developed on the East River waterfront, just blocks from the World Trade Center site.

The slender, soaring tower will be the architect's first residential project in the United States. At present, the building is named after its address, 80 South Street Tower. The tower's residences, described as "Townhouses in the Sky," will consist of modular, 45-foot cubes. Twelve cubes, each containing four floors, will be cantilevered from, and stacked along, the tower's vertical axis. The tower's base is envisioned as the new home for a cultural or other institutional user.

The tower will contain 175,000 sq. ft. of public cultural and private living space. As envisioned by the architect, each of the townhouse cubes may contain its own individual elevator. Original plans call for two-story living rooms, but Calatrava said that he would be willing to design interior spaces according to the new resident's requirements.

Sciame is exploring whether the tower can be built "as of right" but is expecting it to be completed in summer 2005.

I know from previous articles that the way this building will be constructed will be unique, but by summer 2005? ...probably a mistake.

I think its highly possible for this type of building to complete construction in under a years time.

I think it's unlikely especially since they have to demolish a building first. Anyway, I think they mean start construction in summer 2005.

"It will take about 18 months to build and after saying he would start in 2005, Sciame immediately amended that to 2006. “I don’t want to put too much pressure on myself I have enough of that from clients,” he said. "

let's just be thankful something this daring/innovative is getting built at all.

Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast