Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: United States Mission to U.N. - 1st Ave @ West 45th - by Gwathmey Siegel & Associates

I agree that the building is ugly, very ugly; but Jake get your facts right when you say things about contributions. The US (22%) is the biggest contributor to the UN followed by Japan(19%) and then Germany(9%). Those aren't Scandinavian countries. At least do some fact checking prior to making funny comments like that. Its funny how we finance these clowns to rip on us meanwhile they are way more corrupt then we are. Go US & A!

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Does anyone remember from a few years ago, the Senator (or was it a Representative) from the South that was against giving this project too much money because he didn't think the city deserve to get a nice grand tower?

He wanted to reduce the budget for this project and considering how it looks, I guess he succeeded. The jerk.

I remember getting quite upset when I read that at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Love4NY View Post
    I agree that the building is ugly, very ugly; but Jake get your facts right when you say things about contributions. The US (22%) is the biggest contributor to the UN followed by Japan(19%) and then Germany(9%). Those aren't Scandinavian countries. At least do some fact checking prior to making funny comments like that. Its funny how we finance these clowns to rip on us meanwhile they are way more corrupt then we are. Go US & A!
    I didn't say anything about CONTRIBUTIONS, I said REPUTATION. You can't buy respect at the UN, it's all very much about attitudes.

Like I said, small things go a long way. Even the Security Council room was financed by Norway - not the US. The adjacent one - ECOSOC - by Sweden. The next one - Trusteeship Council - Denmark. Granted, the US gave land and obviously financed other things at the UN complex but there was no shortage of countries ready to do that.

These days however Canada goes out of its way to lend people and facilities to the UN while the US really does not. All the other UN missions are fairly modest, often green, buildings with the noted exception of Russia and China which are rather different. The question really is which group do we want to be a part of? Are we a country that embraces diplomacy and will thus conforms to international attitudes or will we be the hegemonic outsider like the PRC or Russia?

The architects of this building fail to understand that there are two international communities - one of nations on Earth, and one of their delegates at the UN. Ultimately the perceptions of the latter are relayed to their home countries. Something as stupid as putting this building up could very well profoundly affect attitudes towards us.

First we nominate John Bolton - likely the worst representative in the recent history of the UN, and now we're building a bunker across the street from the Secretariat. Why don't we just put some SAM batteries and some M1A1s out there?

I totally agree. This is architecture that offends.

We all agree this is a bad way to present yourself to the world. The US is a leader and should act like so.

Quote Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
    They could have put fake windows with a concrete wall behind it. At least that way it would be more human.
    Hey, at least here they're not being hypocrites about their philosophy of fear (a rare case, since usually they try to cover it up as much as they can).

The first floors are windowless, the windows are a bit too small, and does the building even contain any elevators?

Default Shocking ... not aweing

This is straight-up nuts. I can not believe this building is for real. It's like Lenin's Tomb... for the US's UN mission.

Has anyone ever been to Berlin and seen the embassies that surround the Tiergarten and Brandenberg Gate? They're arranged like dozens of shrines to cutting-edge architecture and design. The US is building its own new embassy on prime RE right next to the Brandenberg Gate -- it was under construction when I was last in Berlin this summer and I don't know if it'll follow suit with the city's great architecture or if it'll take a page out of this ^^ playbook.

Anyway, it'd be great if New York encouraged the same sort of progressive thinking in the city's UN missions. Instead, our own country gives us the Fortress of Solitude. Way to heal the country and world, jackarses.

10 Barclay = Decepticon Optimus Prime's Avatar

I walked by this thing today. The pictures and renderings are true to life. It is set back way off the street, practically cowering under 2 UNP. And the concrete...blech. Looks like the type that's going to turn a dingy yellow/brown in about two years.

Can they at least drape a giant American flag over all that blank concrete?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Well here's what it looks like from a couple of weeks ago...

AllWaysNY

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

this building is like a perpetual april fools day joke ...

Default 1 and 2 UN Plaza

I worked for 15 years in 1 UN Plaza (the one right on First Avenue), in offices facing all 4 directions on floors 20 to 24 (UNDP) and appreciate what you guys have said about UNP 1 and 2. They are very nice to work in and look out from - even across East River now, which once wuz the worst.

The architect was hoping to sustain the theme across the entire city block but the UN's own space needs were taken care of. There is a hotel at the top of 1 UNP and apartments at the top of 2 UNP. also a high-level swimming pool at the top of 1 UNP; when I was there some bitumin waterproofing was being laid and it caught fire. We all had to walk down; real tough on the women in high heels.

The buildings are actually owned by a NY State body: the UN Development Corporation. It's located in 2 UNP. A nice, helpful group. City and state support always seemed to me excellent. The Koch and Giuliani aggressions were, uh, distant outliers...
    Last edited by Peter Quennell; April 15th, 2008 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typos

Default US contribitions to the UN

Jake was quite correct. Love4NY is way off-target.

The US (22%) is the biggest contributor to the UN followed by Japan(19%) and then Germany(9%). Those aren't Scandinavian countries. At least do some fact checking prior to making funny comments like that. Its funny how we finance these clowns to rip on us meanwhile they are way more corrupt then we are.
    The 22% is to the diplomatic arm. Other contributions to the various development arms vary. Proportionally, they ain't much. Per capita, the Scandinavians, Germans and Canadians each contribute several times as much; and as a ratio to GDP they contribute even more.

And if you cost out the total economic relationship of the US and the UN (the IMF and World Bank in DC included) in US contributions to the UN versus US-oriented UN spending?

The US comes out way, way ahead. Huge net inflows. Up in the billions. Traditionally from Europe, and increasingly from Asia. Very, very nice for the US current account.

And the level of corruption within the UN and its field operations? Very very small among career staff. Just about all of it (like the Iraq oil program) is propagated by political appointees.

They enter at a high level, and are considered pretty well untouchable.
    Last edited by Peter Quennell; April 15th, 2008 at 01:41 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynLove View Post
    this building is like a perpetual april fools day joke ...
    Watching TV News here in the UK just caught a glimpse of this building.

I can only agree, it looks awful.

Thumbs down It's not possible

I can't believe that's a photo of an actual building. It must be some kind of photoshop joke, right? It looks like something out of a cheap sci-fi film about a future militaristic society.

I challenge anyone to find me a photo of a more hideous, monstrous building.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast