Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron Triangle in Queens to Be Redeveloped

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Huh?

If you're at the stadium and you want to go to a bar, then you go to the bar at the stadium.

Am I missing something here?

Yes you are.

The benfit of having a bar OUTSIDE the stadium is that when the games are sold out -which are much more likely to happen when you have a 42,000 seat stadium as opposed to a 56,000 seat one- it would be nice to have the option of going to a bar next to the stadium. If you have ever been to Fenway park you'll know what I'm talking about.

I see you edited your comment. You said before that if the fans were in the stadium and they wanted to go to the bar, which didn't make sense.

You need to be clearer in what you say. Writing skills...

Anyway, that's a problem the Mets should have considered in the design of the ballpark. That frontage area on 126 St. should be devoted to retail and restaurants that is accessible to patrons from the streetlevel that are not necessarily ticket holders.

Mind you, I am a supporter of the redevelopment of Willets Point but I find the reasons for your argument a little weak.

Ok so? If I ever paid any mind to your posts I would prob mildly agree with your as well...

Oh yeah and thanks for the heads up on my writing skills, antinimble, since you cannot comprehend while you read it must mean that whoever wrote it cannot write....

No, it isn't whoever. It is YOU. I don't have any problems with anyone else so obviously it is you.

Now that I think about it, it was you again in the Beekman thread that we had go through a bunch of back-and-forth posts just to clarify what you supposedly had or had not said.

Seems to me then the problem is not my understanding but your inability to express yourself clearly, TREP-ASS.

You've got to love it when someone defending their writing skills comes out with completely nonsensical statements.

^ It takes some adjustments but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.

The trick is to treat it as if it's written by someone who's primary language isn't English.

or who is drunk!

Well all I tried to do is making a simple point about how this development is going to b great and here comes an antinimble and his sidekick alonzo[wannabe]newyorker with the petty little insults about my writing. What ever gets you through your days fellas; suit your petty selves.

In the meantime I am gong to post the original post, as it keeps the thread on topic and off idiotic discussion topics..

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    This development cannot come soon enough! Shea was unceremoniuosly greeted with junkyards and slums after the game the fns had no other refuge besides the parking lot. I remember driving through there once from a game at night and with all the darkness, the dreary shop facades and the pot holes that were literally bigger than my car it looked like a 3rd world country in the middle of a war; it was awful.

Hopefully they do this right and the street that faces citfield (Maybe they can rename it to Shea Street!!) will have bars, restaurants, shops, street vendors, etc. It was wonderful to go to Fenway and walk around Yawkey during a game, the ambiance was always so festive and fun. This takes the sting away from the Mets taking off 15,000 seats from the fans. At least the fans will have the option to go to a bar and hear the cacophonies of roar of the crowd (or a lamentful gasp) during the game and partake in the thrilling mass scale emotinal roller coaster with thousands of other fans while watching Ameica's Pastime. During great playoff victories, or [God willing] a WS it can serve as a staging point for fan celebrations.

I really look forward to this redevelopment of Willets Point and cannot wait to enjoy it.

Right and look who started with the "petty insults" first.

Oh yeah and thanks for the heads up on my writing skills, antinimble,
    here comes an antinimble and his sidekick alonzo[wannabe]newyorker with the petty little insults about my writing.
    Looks like not only do you have trouble with your writing skills but also oblivious to the things you said.

Petty and idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Anyway, that's a problem the Mets should have considered in the design of the ballpark. That frontage area on 126 St. should be devoted to retail and restaurants that is accessible to patrons from the streetlevel that are not necessarily ticket holders.
    Several problems with this.

A segregated bar crowd is a bad mix.

You'd basically have outside retail that's dependent on overflow from sold-out ballgames. Where's their income in the off-season?

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Several problems with this.

A segregated bar crowd is a bad mix.
    Who said anything about segregating anybody? Are you sure you know what I'm talking about? Let's not do a "TREPYE" until we are sure we know what each of us are talking about first.

I am saying that the Mets if they want places for people that may not be in the stadium, to shop and dine and drink at, then they could have built these places on the streetlevel of their stadium. In other words, for anyone who wants to go to these places even if they're not there for a ballgame.

You'd basically have outside retail that's dependent on overflow from sold-out ballgames. Where's their income in the off-season?
    Where's their income in the off-season for shops that are near the stadium? It's the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    I am saying that the Mets if they want places for people that may not be in the stadium, to shop and dine and drink at, then they could have built these places on the streetlevel of their stadium. In other words, for anyone who wants to go to these places even if they're not there for a ballgame.
    You seem to be saying exactly what I'm talking about. If not, describe these establishments. Will they be accessible from both inside and outside the stadium? If so, ticket-holders will have to be separated from the general public. If they're only accessible from outside the stadium, then they're subject to the conditions in the neighborhood.

Where's their income in the off-season for shops that are near the stadium? It's the same thing.
    A viable neighborhood is the source of income during the off-season [Ttrepye's Fenway Park example]. Market forces adjust the rent and prices in these neighborhoods.

Retail attached to Citifield would command premium rent. Do you think the present Iron Triangle neighborhood would attract retail operators willing to pay that rent?

^^^The Mets should of taken a cue from the Yankees with the Hard Rock Cafe at Gate 6 on the corner of 161st and River Ave; open all year round even when the season is over or games are sold out, you can walk in on street level and eat there IN the stadium.

I do agree also that the streets beyond the outfield walls of certain ballparks add to the atmosphere of the game day experience. Yawkey Way and the Citgo sign beyond the Green Monster at Fenway Park, River Ave. and the 4 train beyond the "gap" at Yankee Stadium, Waveland & Sheffield Aves. with the Wrigley Rooftops beyond the Ivy at Wrigley Field, make them just as much a part of the ballparks as anything in their physical structure. Plenty of people go to the bars on Yawkey Way and River Ave just to be get that game day experience and people on Waveland on the rooftop bleachers pay little and some get to barbecue as well.

The Mets should of taken that into consideration when building the ballpark. However the Wilpons did say that they told HOK, now Populous, to keep the ballpark open to right field somewhat because the city promised that the Iron Triangle would disappear.
    Last edited by JCMAN320; April 12th, 2009 at 10:52 PM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast