Thread: Broadway and Great Jones Street

Default Broadway and Great Jones Street

Here's a view I just bought, circa 1875 of the old Broadway Central Hotel I posted about previously.

This is probably the oldest and clearest stereo view card I've found yet, I was able to scan it at 800 DPI/ 125% to zoom way in and read all the signs.

I was showing this to some friends and one suggested it would be real cool to see what this block looks like today, I searched around but came up blank.
    When this hotel collapsed and was torn down in 1973, I understand NYU built a dorm there but I found nothing on the NYU site.

This view is looking North towards Grace Church from the 600 block of Broadway by Gt Jones St. Were the gold pen sign not there Grace Church would be seen several blocks off in the distance.

The hotel (667-673) the Tremont House on the left, and 679 are all gone and I believe the buildings up further North are also gone.

Does anyone have a modern view of this location? I'm thinking if NYU built a dorm there, then likely there would be photos of it but I haven't found any.
    Would be interesting to compare this view with a modern one.

Nothing beats that charming "old wild West" look in this view, no cars, street lights, flashing walk-RUN lights, tacky signs, people in gaudy colors and dress etc

Closer view, the observant can make out the shadowy figure of a lone person sitting on the hotel's balcony under the awning over the entrance.
    Wonder if he knew there was a photographer across the street making a photo.

Incidentally, the portion that collapsed was on this side of that balcony where the gent is sitting- 6 windows across of the 8 windows and then a few minutes later the section on the extreme left with the remaining 2 windows across fell. The balcony and everything to the North of it was intact.

You are correct - the building was replaced by a dorm for the NYU School of Law. It's a 22 floor brick building built in the early 1980's, with the address 240 Mercer Street. I used to live there. The building is set up like a typical NY apartment building, instead of a university dorm. I don't even think there is any signage to indicate NYU ownership. The entrance is on the Mercer Street side, which includes a decent plaza.

Streetscapes | Great Jones Street

In NoHo, a Quiet Block Starts to Stir

By CHRISTOPHER GRAY
    Published: March 23, 2008

WHILE Bond Street in NoHo is a wild hip party of trendy new architecture, Great Jones Street, one block north, has been as quiet as a library after closing hour. Now, the slumbering block between Lafayette Street and the Bowery is waking up.

Landmark designation is pending, but it will come too late to save a nifty little 1898 building at 30 Great Jones.

Bond, Bleecker and Great Jones Streets were among New York’s most prestigious addresses in the 1840s — the aristocratic Philip Hone, a mayor of New York and its most famous diarist, lived at 1 Great Jones, near Broadway.
    Fashion soon moved uptown, and by the 1880s this block of Great Jones was populated by wagon, coffin and hat makers.

Read the rest of the article at http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/23/re...e/23scape.html

E-mail: streetscapes@nytimes.com
    Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company.
    Last edited by Edward; July 22nd, 2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Removed article, excerpt only

Banned Member

I like the different street lamps each building has in that first photo.

Quote Originally Posted by brianac / NY TIMES View Post

In NoHo, a Quiet Block Starts to Stir

By CHRISTOPHER GRAY
    Published: March 23, 2008

WHILE Bond Street in NoHo is a wild hip party of trendy new architecture, Great Jones Street, one block north, has been as quiet as a library after closing hour. Now, the slumbering block between Lafayette Street and the Bowery is waking up ...

The Office for Metropolitan History
    Most of 30 Great Jones, above in 1942, has been torn down, below.

Annie Tritt for The New York Times
    Landmark designation is pending, but it will come too late
    to save a nifty little 1898 building at 30 Great Jones.

... In October, Edison Properties, which owns 30 Great Jones, filed an application with the city’s Buildings Department for a permit to alter the building. By November, the work was under way, and by last Wednesday, only the bottom two stories remained out of the original eight.

Michael Field, a lawyer at Edison Properties, said that no one at the company would comment on the project.
    30 Great Jones is now nothing but hole in the ground ...