Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Madison Square Garden - 4 Penn Plaza - by Charles Luckman Associates

Quote Originally Posted by Kris
    Madison Square Garden's Owners Are in Talks to Replace It, a Block West

The owners of Madison Square Garden... are in talks with two developers to build its fifth incarnation, a block west of its current home atop Pennsylvania Station.

If the project moves forward, a new Garden will rise at the western end of the James A. Farley Post Office.

...a question of whether a new Garden could be shoehorned into the existing post office annex on Ninth Avenue, or require demolition and a new building.

Any plans to move the Garden and redevelop its current site would require city approval.
    Demolition of part of the Farley block is not the answer. There is an empty site across Ninth Ave. from Farley. That should be considered.

The developers, who envision gleaming new towers and glass canopies over Penn Station, contend that a new commercial and residential district will emerge if the Garden vacates its site, the executives said

I really hope they incorporate major improvements to the Under ground Amtrak, LIRR and NJ Transit concourses below MSG, major over haul including higher ceilings, new floors, glass canopies to allow sun light to penetrate to the concourse levels, new larger and higher quality shops and restaraunts.

The site needs a first class development like the Time Warner Center, it should include a modern hotel, office towers, and dining and retail concourse on multiple levels all the way down to the passenger concourses.

Forum Veteran

Putting MSG in the Farley building is not a good idea. The current MSG is much larger than the western half of the Farley building.

Banned Member

My question: Does MSG find a tax break in all of this?

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    My question: Does MSG find a tax break in all of this?
    I would guess they lose any tax breaks if their situation changes. Bloomberg cannot possibly be willing to let that continue after the Jets stadium failure.

Forum Veteran

The lot to the West of Farley on 33rd and 9th is owned by Brookfield whose website says a 2.5 MSF building is planned

I imagine if they're building a new one they'd want to built a bigger one, the site one block away seems small, unless they make the arena taller and rectangular. I'm going there next week to buy Rangers tickets, maybe i'll snap some pics

Do you think penn station will be renewed/renovated somewhat with this construction

Why don't they just move somewhere like in Queens! And just leave Penn station alone!

Penn station sure doesn't need a Madison Square Garden on top of it! It can survive on its own.

But Madison Square needs Penn station. Although I will like them to leave that awful donut building anyway!

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    You can enshrine a pile of dog crap in a gold cocoon. But, under that thin veneer it's still crap.
    Old post, but I remember when I was little, there was this kids' variety show on Nickelodeon called "Roundhouse," which was produced in collaboration with MTV. There was this one skit that featured a commercial for high-end jewelry that was made of dog crap covered in gold foil. No joke.

I'm just going to throw this out but...would people oppose if MSG moved to the West Side railyarda and built their new arena there? Leave Farley alone, Penn Stations is rebuilt in all its grandeur and the Jets, MAYBE I dunno, head to Queens.

It'd be the ultimate irony considering the failed West Side Stadium bid, but I'd imagine it'll be hammered just as hard.

Let's start a pool on where it's going to be moved again in 40 or 50 years.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117
    Let's start a pool on where it's going to be moved again in 40 or 50 years.
    Maybe back to Madison Square? Full circle.

I think moving the Garden to the railyards next to the Javitts Center would be a great idea. It could be part of the expansion of that facility and each would complement each other much more than a football stadium would. This would be especially useful for political conventions, etc. Also, events that would use the facility would not be tailgate-friendly like football games, so those attending would be able to use the existing midtown hotels and eateries, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    Maybe back to Madison Square? Full circle.
    Fat chance...

Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast