Page 6 of 57 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Madison Square Garden - 4 Penn Plaza - by Charles Luckman Associates

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

This is a no-brainer. Cablevision has got to jump on this new grander plan. It would be great for everyone and I mean EVERYONE involved: a new MSG, a new and much, much better Penn Station, hotel, new offices, retail, in the most prime area in Manhattan. This is the type of revitalization that whole 34th St./Penn Station corridor have desperately needed.

to build a new Garden a block west, to the Ninth Avenue side of the Farley building
    I'm confused- does this mean the westernmost half of the Farley building is to be demolished under the new plan?

can you bulid a hotel in a c district, and get the far for a c
    and not like a condo development that you have to use r

The Farley PO will not be demolished. This should make it clearer:

Quote Originally Posted by jeffpark
    can you bulid a hotel in a c district, and get the far for a c
    and not like a condo development that you have to use r
    There may be special rules for hotels in certain districts, but generally...

NYC zoning definition for a residential building excludes a transient-hotel, which is considered a C building.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jeffpark
    would thay take down 2 penn plaza?
    Probably not, because for all its ugliness, it's still a viable Class A office tower ó at least to my knowledge. That's not to say that a reskin is not in order, not to mention a revamp of the Seventh Avenue plaza. The entrance to Penn Station also needs to be rethought.

Let's get started, dang it!

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    Let's get started, dang it!
    Tell that to the Dolans and Cablevision.

I wonder how many people would volunteer to pick up a hammer and start hacking at MSG to bring it down. The line would be too long.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    I wonder how many people would volunteer to pick up a hammer and start hacking at MSG to bring it down. The line would be too long.
    I disagree. Rangers have sold out nearly all their games this season. The Garden has one of the best "atmospheres" in the country. Every time I go to MSG it feels like a real event, it's loud, packed, and exciting.

To bring it down would be to thread on the the fact that the Rangers won the Cup there in 94, I know quite a few people who might have a problem with that.

Nevertheless, I think building a new arena is a good idea and I'll tell you it will be HUGE. The current 18,200 (hockey configuration, more for B-ball) is OK by NHL standards but the new arena will easily surpass 20,000 with the demand for tickets that I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    The Farley PO will not be demolished. This should make it clearer:

So, is the plan to build a platform over the rail yard just west of the Farley P.O.?

No, the annex side of the Farley building (without the green roof), which was originally planned to have mixed-use development, would get the new MSG.

I bet the hangup is over the air-rights.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    No, the annex side of the Farley building (without the green roof), which was originally planned to have mixed-use development, would get the new MSG.

I bet the hangup is over the air-rights.
    Thanks. So, this would not involve construction of a new building and instead, they'd just build a stadium inside the existing building? Alternatively, is the plan to demolish the annex? If that's the plan, I'd imagine that it's not a beautiful building like the portion that's on 8th Ave.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    Thanks. So, this would not involve construction of a new building and instead, they'd just build a stadium inside the existing building? Alternatively, is the plan to demolish the annex? If that's the plan, I'd imagine that it's not a beautiful building like the portion that's on 8th Ave.
    I think (hope) that the new arena would be constructed within and implementing the existing building, like with Hearst. The annex is almost completely identical to the main post office in design.

If it is the same design, then it would be maintained for sure. It would be nice if the city built a platform over the rail yard just across the street and put in a park.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    I think (hope) that the new arena would be constructed within and implementing the existing building, like with Hearst. The annex is almost completely identical to the main post office in design.
    Almost certainly that is their thinking. However, its just a little too awkward sticking a modern, round stadium in the middle of this historical, rectangular building. I really think they should put a new MSG elsewhere and reserve the west side of the Farley building for retail, offices, hotel.

Forum Veteran

If the Yankees can leave Yankee Stadium and the Celtics leave Boston garden, the Knicks and Rangers can leave MSG, for the most part these franchises have been losers so its no big deal. The problem is will Dolan do whats right or continue to hurt the NYC economy as he has been doing for years

Page 6 of 57 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast