Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: New York City's Population Growth

Jake, you are ranting.

You are blaming everything on people who are not like you and yes, that IS racist.

Sometimes the problem is not with the change, but the people wjho refuse to accept and work with it. I know that you may percieve that your neighborhood has gone to hell, but how much are you paying in rent? You say your building has gotten deteriorated, but do you think that is from the immigrants, or his reluctance to repair anything once it is broken?

And your tie-in to 9-11 is pityful man! Come on! You are telling me that the Falaffel shops moved in right after 9-11 and since then all the Italians have moved out? Dude, the Italians have been moving out for years! It is a shame to lose Little Italy, but LI is not what it used to be (a bunch of mom-and-pop shops and restaurants).

Instead of B!tching and moaning about how horrible everything is because of "them" why don't you put some time and effort into it yourself? Why don't YOU put some time into community outreach programs and the like? If that does not work, then start blaming everyone for not pitching in.

But until then, your exclusionary attitude coupled with your beligerant tone only ads to the problem you see.

I am Colombian. But I concider my self an amarican, more than a Colombian. I have more american values than Colombian ones. I was a little boy when I came to the USA. I speak more english than spanish (Although I like to speak more english with friends and my brother, I do speak good spanish with my parents and some other friends). To me, first of all, English is a much easier language to speak than spanish, where you have to pronounce more syllables. So is easier to learn. My nephew and niece, who were born here from a Colombian parent and a Peruvian parent, speak english and not alot of spanish. I also notice that with lots of children born to Latino parents.

My parents never use welfare or anyone I know for that matter, they are hard working people, who just are happy to work and spend money like any american will do. Now there others, that come to work here but want to get back to their country, like lots of mexicans. But that is another story.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    So non-causasian people should only exist to provide you with food and spices and anything else you might need?
    Awesome quote. I might add laundry.

The idiocy of European-American xenophobia (hating immigrants) is self-evident. I hope Jake's not Italian or Irish. A few generations ago they were the lazy immigrants coming over to breed and steal American benefits. (oh, and send money home). That's why they formed close-knit ethnic ghettos - they faced so much bigotry in the greater city that they felt more comfortable keeping to themselves.

So, to spell it out, Jake, unless you are 100% English, there was a point in your family's past where they were on the receiving end of the hate you're spewing. So what particilar past are you "conservatively" pining away for? The one where your specific ethicity was least crapped on?

Of all the odious points Jake posted, one seems extremely insane. The part about them dressing "western".
    Are we to have a dress code now? What does dressing "western" even mean?? Any season you want, check out some "western" fashion shows and you will see references to the clothing from all over the world.
    I suppose African Americans should refrain from dreadlocks or kente cloth, they just aren't western enough. Yesterday my neighbor who wore a poncho was just way over the line I guess.
    If an Arab chooses to wear a galabiyya instead of Levi's so f-<k**g what. You have major problems, and New York will not miss you.
    Wait, maybe I should return my Moroccan chandelier I bought last month. It totally subverts the American culture of my apartment building.
    American culture, if it is even possible to draw a line around such a thing, is in NO danger of extinction, elements of it are present no matter what country you visit.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    Of all the odious points Jake posted, one seems extremely insane. What does dressing "western" even mean??

Haven't you ever been to a Bay Ridge Rodeo?

Lol!

Forum Veteran

I second the laughs, Zippy.

"Western," like "oriental," does not have a real, concrete definition - it only differentiates one group from the other reletive to an ethnocentric point of view. So just like "oriental" means "them," "western" means "us."

"Western" means "not-the-things-I-hate."

I will concede one point to Jake's otherwise increasingly intolerant stance: I think the US DID work as a melting pot until fairly recently. The vestiges of original old-country culture notwithstanding, all the hyphenated americans I've ahd the pelasure to eet were very much of the hot-dog eatin', baseball watchin', flag-wavin' variety (then again, i spent nearly all my US time in the Midwest). I do think that if very large communities with very different habits/standards, etc. reamin in pale of a long time without effectively assimilating there is the potential for genuine trouble.

We have seen that slow integration in Europe has been / is causing some problems that I did not experience in the US.

Most 'foreigners' in europe, though, do integrate pretty well, and obviously they do add to the mix in a psoitive way. here in london, someone of South Asain descent or natioanlity is entiurely unremarkable (includign teh guy sitting next to me at work). I don't think anyoine except the msot bigoted can thiunk of them as somehow 'other' and 'separate', evne though many such people have some habits or cultural mores different from mine.

But I guess that if i didn't like foreigners to begin with, i wouldn't have spent much of my life outside of Italy. In a way Jake is doing the right thing. Gotta suck in New York if you're even slightly xenophobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    ...But I guess that if i didn't like foreigners to begin with, i wouldn't have spent much of my life outside of Italy. In a way Jake is doing the right thing. Gotta suck in New York if you're even slightly xenophobic.
    Luca, I think I have seen you before.

Do you live upstairs? On the second Floor?

I think I heard something late at night.......

Some kind of trouble?
    Some kind of fight?

I won't ask you what it was.........
    Last edited by Ninjahedge; February 22nd, 2006 at 05:56 PM.

Default ???

^ What the hell does that mean?

think he is reciting lyrics to susan vega's song "luca". but i thought luca was on the 7th floor.

Oh, ok. *wipes egg off face*

Quote Originally Posted by ebrigham
    think he is reciting lyrics to susan vega's song "luca". but i thought luca was on the 7th floor.

http://www.lyrc.com.ar/lyric/S/Suzan...Is%20Luca.html

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    ^ What the hell does that mean?
    Just don't ask me what it was

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast