Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: New York City's Population Growth

BTW, bayridge.com has over 3000 users and many of the regular posters log in under their real names. Label them racist or ignorant or whatever you want but some of these people have launched the largest community projects in the area, they are active campaign volunteers for local government and are community leaders. When these people leave Bay Ridge will lose some of the best people we have.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    I was hoping NYC could be my home for life but it doesn't quite work for me anymore, in my social circles most share that sentiment. That's all I have to say.
    It would appear that your frame of mind explains a plausible explaination for a portion of the projected decline in white population - a continued white flight. I never would have thought of that on my own.

Let's cut to the chase, Jake.

You implied that there is a crime problem in the neighborhood. 68th Precinct crime statistics do not support that statement.

You said the neighborhood is becoming run down. When I posted photos, you said that architecture is not the problem.Well, what is? People not dusting their apartments?

You indicated that there is widespread flight from the neighborhood. In such neighborhoods, property values deteriorate. In Bay Ridge, they have risen. And if these immigrants that have moved in are on welfare, how can they afford these homes?

Reading through your posts, the common denominator is:
    [little Baghdad
    It is an Islamic ghetto
    Halal Meat
    "I am Sikh and an American" should be "I am American and a Sikh"
    but they don't come to work in their national clothes or speak Farsi
    No references to the other ethnic groups that have moved into the neighborhood.

You made several statements early in this thread that I think are significant:
    I was comfortable in pre-9/11 NY and since my city has been raped

Meanwhile me and my friends are dodging planes and attending funerals.

my firm is working to establish offices in Toronto and Vancouver in the next 2 years, which is where I'll be heading.
    Interesting that the point of change in the neighborhood is 09/11.
    Also interesting is the cities you plan to relocate to. It seems to me that you are blaming 09/11 and Muslims for changes in your neighborhood, and blaming America for not doing something about it.

There is nothing wrong with you neighborhood other than you are xenophobic and cannot accept the changes. You have every right to feel that way, but unlike leaving an area because of crime, you take your xenophobia with you.

You may want to look up the percentage of Muslims in Canada as compared to the U.S, and particularly in Toronto. It may surprise you.

ok, attend a community meeting here, see how people feel.

I'm glad to be leaving (unfortunately not soon enough) and I see many won't miss me.

Maybe I'll leave in time not to catch the Mohammed cartoon riots.

Oh us poor ignorant rich white people. How bad we've served this city, bringing nothing good to it. Diversity is the answer! Equality for all! The lazy, the criminals, the revolutionaries. Give me your tired, your poor...I'll go live with white people, with us snobs, we'll talk about taking over hte world oil supply and opressing the good people of the world.

I won't post in this thread anymore because I can't win. I hope this won' t be the case but one day you may not start liking what the change is doing to your home. But I'm just a raving lunatic, why should anyone listen to me?

Jake: I think your concerns are highly exagerrated. I know several people that recently moved to Bay Ridge who work for a paycheck, are also in the highest braket and pay taxes. You're generalizing as if there's a huge wave of non-paying, tax-avaiding, cash-earning, welfare recepients that descended on Bay Ridge in the last few years. I thought that long term investments are taxed at 15% tax rate on federal level, isn't it correct? In any case, why don't you concentrate on your own financial situation and stop thinking about others and what they do. If you lived in Bay Ridge for so long, you should have bought a nice property long time ago before the real estate boom. And even now, you can settle for a smaller apartment in a nice area close to the subway.

ok, attend a community meeting here, see how people feel.
    So you are saying that xenephobia is a common problem? Go fig.

I'm glad to be leaving (unfortunately not soon enough) and I see many won't miss me.
    You made it that way Jake. There is no guilt here. Instead of saying you feel bad about losing parts of your old neighborhood, you turn it around and blame all the problems on "them".

That is short sighted and will only make you unhappy later in life.

Maybe I'll leave in time not to catch the Mohammed cartoon riots.
    OK, that was just plain stupid. Not even a decent racist/bigoted slam there.

Oh us poor ignorant rich white people.
    Um, most of the guys on this board are also white people. Why do you think you are being segregated? Some of us do not like dfferent attitudes based on race (which go both ways) but we try not to generalize and apply all our dislikes and blame on one race in particular.

You have.

How bad we've served this city, bringing nothing good to it.
    Um, you are going way off the deep end. I thought you said you were in an Italian/Irish neighborhood. The comparison to how they were treated when they immigrated was already presented to you SEVERAL TIMES but you have ignored it and continue to focus on the latest "wave" you see encroaching on your turf.

Diversity is the answer! Equality for all! The lazy, the criminals, the revolutionaries.
    And all the people moving into your neighborhood are lazy criminal revolutionaries?

I guess all the statistics Zip has been siting are wrong. Either that or the new Revolutionaries are earning more money, building more houses, and generally doing better for themselves.

Oh, and wear turbans. I almost forgot the turbans.

Give me your tired, your poor...I'll go live with white people, with us snobs, we'll talk about taking over hte world oil supply and opressing the good people of the world.
    What? Are you mixing metaphor again? Taking the thing written on the Statue of Liberty, associating it somehow with 9-11 and Iraq (two things that do not go together) and our dependancy on Canadian Oil?

You are not Cheney. You are not that good at that. Stop now before you shoot a male white lawyer while quail hunting. You know they are an endangered species!

I won't post in this thread anymore because I can't win.
    The fact that you see it as a battle means you have missed the point entirely.

I hope this won' t be the case but one day you may not start liking what the change is doing to your home. But I'm just a raving lunatic, why should anyone listen to me?
    Because you are screaming too loud for us to ignore.

Do you work for FOX?

This was my home first. I feel like I'm being invaded and these people don't seem to want to share American values.
    Ironically you will 'invade' to somebody else's neighborhood... and if you move to Canada make sure you don't keep your American values and embrace the Canadian values.

I aslo like to add that Canada values tend to accept more people of other nationalities (either ethnic and racially). So good luck with that.

Also I can go on about how the Irish/Italians 'invaded' the English and Dutch in their neighborhods... also how the English and Dutch 'invaded' the indians.

Maybe you need to take a course in History.

I have been to Toronto many times. Toronto is much more multicultural and diverse than bay Ridge, that's for sure. And that makes Toronto only better. I agree that Toronto is better than Bay Ridge but for different reasons. It's a very modern, very civilized large city where the streets are clean, the public transportation is excellent and the food is great. Everything is nice in Toronto except for high taxes and cold winter weather.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    Let's cut to the chase
    Commendably calm and reasoned. Well said.

Forum Veteran

Stamford Review discusses growth and gentrification in NYC. A short, free registration is required to view the .pdf:

http://www.stamfordreview.com/downloads-current.php

^ Thanks... that was a good read. Really interesting.

March 16, 2006
    Census Shows Slight Dip in City, but Demographers Beg to Differ
    By SAM ROBERTS

The engine driving New York City's population growth — immigration — appears to have slowed slightly, contributing to a tiny decline in the city's population in the year ended July 1, 2005, according to estimates released yesterday by the Census Bureau.

But city demographers, who have successfully challenged earlier undercounts by the bureau, said they would challenge the latest estimates, too. They said their own figures, based on housing construction and other evidence, show that the city's population as of last July was probably 8.2 million, a record high. A number of federal aid programs disburse money based on population.

Once again, the census found the sharpest population growth nationally in counties in the South and West.

In the city, the census found, the influx of foreigners slowed from 91,000 in the year ended July 1, 2004, to 83,000 in the next 12 months. Partly as a result, the city's overall population declined by about 21,000 to 8.143 million, with every borough except Manhattan registering a one-year loss.

In the metropolitan area, only one county — Somerset in New Jersey — recorded a population increase of 1 percent or more.

In the first half of the decade, Ocean County, N.J., registered the largest percentage of population gain in the metropolitan area: 9.3 percent. Only three counties, Nassau on Long Island and Hudson and Essex in New Jersey, showed a decline.

Manhattan gained more people in that period, 55,000, than any other county in the region.

William Frey, a demographer with the Brookings Institution in Washington, said that in contrast to metropolitan sprawl in Chicago, Washington, Philadelphia and Boston, most of the growth in the New York region was still being fueled by immigration and natural increase (more births than deaths) rather than by newcomers from other states.

Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company

Forum Veteran

This isn't the first year that the census estimate has been contested, in any case. It's likely that the Bureau will revise its previous figure.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Only three counties, Nassau on Long Island and Hudson and Essex in New Jersey, showed a decline.
    JCMAN320 won't be very happy to hear this.

Where I haven't seen it. lol. Census estimates are so flawed any way.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast