Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dumbest Idea to Replace Carriage Horses

Forum Veteran

Default The Dumbest Idea to Replace Carriage Horses

These morons can't be serious...

Meet the Contraption That Wants to
    Replace Central Park Horses

A model of the faux-vintage electric car that horse advocates say could replace carriage horses in New York, with Ed Sayres, left, and Steve Nislick of NY-Class, the group that sponsors the cars.

The faux-vintage electric car that horse advocates want to replace Central Park’s carriage horses has classic white-walled tires, running boards, mahogany and an “ah-hoogah” horn.On Thursday, in a fourth-floor conference room of Manhattan’s Hippodrome — where circus horses once performed — Jason Wenig set a model of it across the table from the car’s sponsors.“Brass is going to be everywhere, and it’s going to be shiny and beautiful,” said Mr. Wenig, who runs a customized car design shop in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.NY-Class, a nonprofit group that lobbies for the removal of the carriage horses from New York City, revealed the car for the first time on Thursday.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...l-park-horses/

Now it makes more sense why folks are lobbying to remove the carriage horses: Somebody else wants to corner that niche "transport the tourists" market.

Follow the Money!!

Another New York tradition threatened by greed disguised as "concern" for horses. These wonderful animals have been used since the start of time,for all heavy transport. You mean to tell/me its too much to go 5mph around the park? I don't buy it.
    That's what classic car shows are for. What's next? AMC pacer? Model T Ford? Pontiac Trans Am? A vette stingray around the park....My 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT in mint condition 20 years from now........THIS IS STUPID!!!
    PS. Yes, the morons are serious.

Old coverage about carriage horses

Joe Lhota: Horse Carriages In NYC Should Be 'Motorized'

(see article for video)

Hours after a horse carriage flipped over in Columbus Circle, Republican New York City mayoral candidate Joe Lhota told HuffPost Live that he thinks carriages should be motorized. "I don't think the horses should be there," he told host Marc Lamont Hill. "I think we need to motorize the carriages."

Lhota and his opponent, Democrat Bill de Blasio, have both made statements saying they'd ban the use of horses for carriages in New York City so, come January, horse carriage drivers may need to start looking for other work.

Watch the full 25-minute interview with Lhota here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...p_ref=new-york

The whole point of the carriages is to have the horse, OTHERWISE PEOPLE WILL NOT USE THEM.

We already have horseless carriages to transport people around the park. They are called CABS.

If they want to minimize dangerous incidents, keep them within the confines of the park. Eliminating them is nothing other than passive-aggressive pissing by opponents on what they see as "old" New York.

Daily News campaigning to save city’s beloved carriage horses

The 156-year-old industry faces extinction after Mayor de Blasio campaigned on a promise to replace the majestic horses trotting through Central Park. Instead, Hizzoner wants electric cars.

April 16, 2014

Julia Xanthos/New York Daily News Horse carriage drivers are safe for now, but Mayor de Blasio does have it on his list to ban the 156-year-old industry.

The 156-year-old industry faces extinction after Mayor de Blasio campaigned on a promise to replace the majestic horses trotting through Central Park. Instead, Hizzoner wants electric cars.
    De Blasio’s stance flies in the face of public opinion: The latest Quinnipiac poll shows that 64% of New Yorkers support the horse carriages.

The first of the antique style electric cars that advocates want to replace Central Park horse carriages has been built and will make its debut at the New York Auto Show. Pro-carriages advocates say no cars, even electric ones, should be added to park.

New Yorkers who want to keep the carriages can sign a petition that will run on The News website and in print editions imploring the mayor to change his mind.

Actor Liam Neeson, one of the industry’s most outspoken supporters, expressed gratitude to The News.

“My sincere thanks to the Daily News for coming on board and helping to save this unique part of our New York history,” Neeson sai

Stephen Malone, spokesman for the Horse and Carriage Association of New York, said he’s thrilled New York’s Hometown paper is bucking the mayor.

“Like the carriages, the Daily News is an integral part of New York,” Malone said.

Carriage horse driver Christina Hansen said the support is crucial to fight the battle.

“Mayor de Blasio has completely sided with the wealthy folks who have used their money and influence to get him elected and are now expecting payback,” said Hansen, 33.

The News kicks off its campaign as the pricey electric car that animal rights advocates say could replace the horse carriages is ready to roll — and making its debut at the New York Auto Show this week.

The vintage car, commissioned by anti-horse-carriage group NYCLASS, will be shown off at the Javits Center during the show, which runs from April 18-27.

David Handschuh/New York Daily News The News kicks off its campaign as the pricey electric car that animal rights advocates say could replace the horse carriages is ready to roll.

Jason Wenig of the exotic car company Creative Workshop has spent the last year designing and building the contraption at his Florida business.

The prototype — meant to mimic the turn-of-the-20th-century “horseless carriage” — cost about $450,000 to design and build.

If the advocates get their way, 68 of the electric cars will replace the current fleet of carriages.

David Handschuh/New York Daily News The prototype is set to make its debut at the New York City Auto Show.

NYCLASS estimates the price will drop to $150,000 to $175,000 if the cars are made on a wider scale.

NYCLASS Executive Director Allie Feldman said tourists would be just as glad to ride in the back of the old-school car.

“The second you see it, you want to jump in and take a ride,” she said.

Peter Stackpole/Time & Life Pictures/Getty Image The Daily News is collecting signatures to petition the potential ban on horse-drawn carriages.

But supporters of the horse carriages say no cars, even electric ones, should be added to the park.

“That’s exactly what New York needs, more cars. This experiment has been tried with electric cars in San Francisco — failed abysmally,” said Neeson at a recent stable tour.

And customers have no interest in riding in them, carriage driver Colm McKeever says.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1757649

Somebody well connected is somehow planning to make money on this. Their business model must be very long-termed:

The prototype — meant to mimic the turn-of-the-20th-century “horseless carriage” — cost about $450,000 to design and build.

I am not a DeBlasio fan, so am biased, but this is like the dumbest idea ever. This will NOT help the horses, because these are WORK horses. They are bred to work and in fact want to work, like Siberian Huskies want to work. These are not horses that have any other purpose or economic value (sad but true) and there's a giant surplus of work horses, so if you banned them in NYC they would all be slaughtered.

If there are problems with their treatment, then enforce the rules. But banning the carriages is idiotic from an animal rights perspective. Even if you raised millions of dollars to save their lives, existing stables for riding horses cannot accommodate work horses.

I read a previous article, which of course I can't find right now, that one of these horses was rescued from an Amish farm, it was that bad.

One commenter writes that Steve Nislick is a real estate developer with designs on the properties where the stables now stand. Searched and came up with this article. In the meantime:

Horse safety group: Carriage industry is well-regulated and humane

The New York State Horse Council — backed by the American Horse Council — has signed on to the Daily News’ campaign to save the city’s carriage industry. The association’s city chapter conducted a thorough investigation of the stables used to house carriage horses and found they are ‘probably the most regulated horses in the country, if not the world.’

BY Ginger Adams Otis
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Published: Monday, April 21, 2014, 10:21 PM
    Updated: Monday, April 21, 2014, 10:21 PM

Shawn Inglima for new york daily news

Vasco, a 14-year-old horse, is seen at 59th St. and Sixth Ave. The New York State Horse Council has evaluated the condition of the city's carriage horses and decided they are well-maintained.

A state association dedicated to horse safety is riding to the rescue of the city’s beleaguered hansom cab drivers.
    The New York State Horse Council — backed by the American Horse Council — is bucking Mayor de Blasio and his plans to ban horse carriages in Central Park.

“Some people have labeled the carriage horse industry as ‘inhumane.’ It is not,” the state council said in a letter of support for the 156-year-old industry.
    “The NYC carriage horses are probably the most regulated horses in the country, if not the world,” the letter said.

SIGN OUR PETITION: SAVE OUR HORSES

The State Horse Council decided to ride into the fray more than two months ago, after its city chapter conducted a thorough investigation of the stables used to house carriage horses.
    “I have visited all four stables. We’ve been going for quite some time,” said Alison Clarke, the city chapter head.
    “The stables could set a good example for some of the stables in the country. They’re very modern,” said Clarke.

Handout An electric car, of the type being pushed by Mayor de Blasio to replace the iconic carriages, is exhibited at a show, where someone has stuck a bumper sticker from The News' 'Save Our Horses' campaign on the rope.

During his mayoral campaign, de Blasio pledged to banish the horse-drawn carriages during his first week in office.Hizzoner has said it’s not humane to have the horses pulling carriages in traffic.Steve Nislick, the millionaire founder of NYCLASS — the animal rights group leading the charge against the industry — was a campaign donor for de Blasio.

NYCLASS vocally opposed the candidacy of one of de Blasio’s mayoral rivals, then frontrunner and former Council Speaker Christine Quinn.
    Quinn drew the ire of the animal rights group for her support of carriage drivers as the head of the City Council.

The State Horse Council is one of the thousands who have signed on to the Daily News’ Save Our Horses petition.
    More than 12,000 people have signed the petition as of Monday night asking de Blasio toreconsider his stance.
    The State Horse Council has also said it will hand out The News’ campaign’s bumper stickers.

“I think it’s horrible what they are trying to do,” said Diane Jones, president emerita of the council.
    “There were so many conflicting stories about the state of these horses that we investigated ourselves, and we found out that this was not right. The horses are very well taken care of,” she said.

Nislick and NYCLASS have promised that every one of the carriage horses will go to a sanctuary if the ban is enacted.
    The group says the mandatory five weeks of vacation on country farms that the horses get is not enough. The horses need to be outside and able to move freely, NYCLASS has said.
    The spacious stalls provided by the stables — with room for the horses to turn around and lie down — aren’t big enough, NYCLASS said.

But Jones doesn’t believe it will be that easy to find the horses good homes.
    “Show me the names of these sanctuaries — I’d like to know exactly where they are,” she said. “There are hundreds if not thousands of unwanted horses in America. It’s a very sad situation."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz2zcdtnvDt

I think even the most clueless tourists would feel like total idiots riding around Central Park in a make-believe vintage car.

They could have solved this a long time ago by building a stable in the park. Maybe use the bridle paths. Gets the horses out of traffic, and into one place where they can be monitored.

Moving thread to correct forum

I refuse to ride in them, and I know I'm one of many. My sister and I will be in the city sometime in May, and I hope the horses are still there. They can keep them within CP's perimeters and they'll have more control over the situation. They are no more dangerous than speeding cyclists and cars or oblivious pedestrians.

Random Personality

I find it amazing that out of all of the issues that afflict the City of New York a newly elected mayor would seek to make this his first big initiative.

Special interests if there ever was one.

I don't think this is really such a big initiative. It was a campaign issue, and sometimes that's hard to back away from. It doesn't affect very many people (at least not native New Yorkers).

It seems the Vision Zero thing, pedestrian-vehicle accidents, is #1 right now.

The whole idea of the carriage horses is to relive the victorian era of modern NYC,before the car replaced it.

This communist sympathizer wants to repeat history (Early model cars replacing horses)for his own empowerment and enjoyment.

1. MOST IMPORTANT. .NO CARS ALLOWED IN CENTRAL PARK SAVE NYPD/MAINTNANCE OR EVENT STAFF.
    2. THESE AREN'T EVEN REAL ANTIQUES! LEFT WING ELECTRIC CAR PROPONENTS HIDING BEHIND ANIMAL "RIGHTS EXTREMISTS.
    3. The vast majority of People want the horses to STAY! Butthen again..Commnists don't listen to the will of the people.
    Di Blasio closes schools for a 6" snowstorm to celebrate his inaugural. Yet keeps them open a week later with 12" to over a foot!
    Speeds and runs red lights.
    Called police HQ to get a friend released.

He will get his wish,but the horses WILL RETURN! Unless Di Blasio becomes mayor for life. (sarcasm)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast