Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Demolished/Destroyed

Default Arthur Memorial Chapel - Bellevue Hospital - 1897-1938

Father Marani standing in front of the Leary Family Donated Stained Glass “Christ Healing the Sick” from the original Bellevue Hospital RC Chapel (1897-1938)

Stained glass from the Leary Chapel survives in present Bellevue RC chapel (above)

NYPL 1938

NYPL 1938

First Avenue and 28th Street (Google Maps)

The RC chapel at Bellevue got donated by Philanthropist Miss Annie Leary, later Countess Annie Leary by papal decree, in memory of her older brother Arthur Leary. Bachelor Arthur left his fortune to Annie to give away and it was estimated at anywhere between seven and twenty million when he died in 1893. Arthur Leary was a childhood friend of William B. Astor and Arthur’s father used to make hats and had a shop in the original Astor Hotel downtown. Arthur’s fortune was made out of shipping in the Civil War, maritime insurance and banking. Arthur was the first and for a long time the only Roman Catholic on Mrs. William B. Astor’s famous “400” list. Annie Leary lived at 90 Fifth Avenue with her brother Arthur. Later she lived in her late brother Charles’ house at 3 Fifth Avenue and finally at 1032 Fifth Avenue after a major makeover of a 1870s Victorian with three new floors in the back where the stables used to be to include a new ballroom for entertaining. She was personal friends of the infamous Hetty Green of Wall Street and sponsored Hetty’s daughter, introducing her into society in her debutant year.
    Last edited by Statun-Ilandur; August 7th, 2015 at 04:10 PM. Reason: last name missing in title - Arthur Leary

Default Ellis Island Immigrant Station - 1892 - 1897 Destroyed by Fire (1894 Images)

The Bancroft Building can now be added to the list. 8-16 West 30th Street, visible from the back in the first half of the video and from the front in the second, is about to join.

Forum Veteran

Default Singer Building Historical Document

This official book, published in 1908 and now in the public domain, is a fantastic historical record of the Singer Building:
    https://archive.org/details/historyofsingerb00semsrich

Last edited by GordonGecko; September 3rd, 2015 at 11:04 AM.

What an excellent resource, GordonGecko. Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    The original One Times Square was extraordinary before it was "modernized" and then eventually walled over with advertising

REBUILD THIS TOWER NOW!

Times square needs something like this to make it more than just a giant ad.

Singer probably would have made a nice Residential conversion.

Agreed, Tectonic, and NYC would then still have that amazing building.

A penthouse apartment in the tower section of the Times building would've been cool, too. Perhaps not very practical, though. Not sure about the location, either. But still, a gorgeous building.

Forum Veteran

I assume that's your footage? You know what would be really cool, if on the first shot of the 5 pointz you take it through midway then slow-mo fade to the same continuous shot with an empty lot

Default Putnam Building - 1501 Broadway - 1915

Default Child's Restaurant - 23 Park Row - 1915

Quote Originally Posted by Statun-Ilandur View Post

With close to 200 hits I was expecting some music or gizmo buff to point out that 23 Park Row is more famous in modern times as J&R Music etc. That the Google map image posted is no doubt like all Google map images at least 18 months to 24 months + old.

Without an exact address I took a little bit of time trying to place the Child’s image, distracted by the structural stone in the left corner of what must have been the old Mullet Post Office from where I would accurately guess in the end was from where that photo was shot.

It did not help that Wikipedia on Child’s is limited in scope, not aware or listing this site, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childs_Restaurants and I am not one to deal with, comfortable with updates there on Wiki, not being too technical in my grasp of the Internet and such.

With J&R as a historical marker/tag for at least the pre-Millennials, I see that the ghost of the original building’s attic level is still visible in the enclosed circle. And I have to wonder if the tear down of the original Child’s building was a complete teardown or a modified retrofit for J&R etc.

Wasn't sure where to post this but this is pretty sad: http://newyorkyimby.com/2015/10/demo...t-heights.html

Quote Originally Posted by Statun-Ilandur View Post

With close to 200 hits I was expecting some music or gizmo buff to point out that 23 Park Row is more famous in modern times as J&R Music etc. That the Google map image posted is no doubt like all Google map images at least 18 months to 24 months + old.

Without an exact address I took a little bit of time trying to place the Child’s image, distracted by the structural stone in the left corner of what must have been the old Mullet Post Office from where I would accurately guess in the end was from where that photo was shot.

It did not help that Wikipedia on Child’s is limited in scope, not aware or listing this site, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childs_Restaurants and I am not one to deal with, comfortable with updates there on Wiki, not being too technical in my grasp of the Internet and such.

With J&R as a historical marker/tag for at least the pre-Millennials, I see that the ghost of the original building’s attic level is still visible in the enclosed circle. And I have to wonder if the tear down of the original Child’s building was a complete teardown or a modified retrofit for J&R etc.
    I hope that this POS comes down ASAP .