Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Demolished/Destroyed

Many thanks Schaedel.

Default Building at Beaver Street / William Street 1890

I found this old pictures of an unknown building in the Digital Library. Anyone out there who knows more about this building?

I found the picture here:
    http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypld...6&e=w#_seemore

That's the cotton exchange built in 1885. Another one of George B. Post's designs, like the Produce Exchange, that was pulled down.
    More info can be found in Nathan Silver's terrific book Lost New York.

For those who haven't seen this already, check out the gem of a book in this thread on SSP:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=168048

Not all of the buildings are gone, of course, but it's a wonderful record of times gone by in New York.

I've worn Google out trying to find more information about the Gillinder and Transit Buildings :

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post

... check out the gem of a book in this thread on SSP ...
    Uh-oh ...

Can Merry choose her form of punishment for making that suggestion?

Merry, thanks for the plug. Have you tried searching for the Gillender building as opposed to the Gillinder building? Everywhere else seems to spell it with an 'e'.

Lofter, is SSP really that bad that it merits demerits whenever someone mentions it?

Take pride in the fact your not SSC.

Quote Originally Posted by Scalziand View Post
    Merry, thanks for the plug. Have you tried searching for the Gillender building as opposed to the Gillinder building? Everywhere else seems to spell it with an 'e'.

Lofter, is SSP really that bad that it merits demerits whenever someone mentions it?
    Thank you, Scalziand, for going to all the trouble of scanning and posting these wonderful photos , irrespective of where you put them .

Of course, my bad, I should have realised about the spelling of Gillender (old age moment). A sad loss, but Bankers Trust is a worthy successor and duly protected.

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/GON/GON013.htm

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/LM/L...NKERSTRUST.htm

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Uh-oh ...

Can Merry choose her form of punishment for making that suggestion?
    I dare you to say you didn't enjoy looking at the photos, Loft .

Absolutely amazing what can happen in 100 years.

I dare you to say you didn't enjoy looking at the photos, Loft .
    OK, I admit it: Me lookee, me like

A while ago someone posted about the Coogan building, an 1876 building in the much-demolished Flower District; here's a picture.

From the landmark designation report from the LPC.

Replaced circa 2000 by:

I believe that the root of all of this destruction are the height limits and associated air rights in our f..ked up city. Ideally, a property owner should be able to sell his or her air rights, largely without limitations, to most sites in Midtown, Lower Manhattan or the UES (from 3rd eastward). This would preclude greedy SOB's from razing old buildings simply to maximize the site's development potential. Of course, if anyone proposed this reasonable solution, every lazy, loudmouth in the city would battle it on the alleged ground that it would lead to excessive density.

Exactly, and we also wouldn't be faced with these mammoth towers situated on empty, unused plazas, or ringed by concrete, like this stretch of Sixth is becoming, including the above picture building; developed like Sam Chang would also have no reason to employ their 20 foot setbacks from the street-walls. It really does boil down to zoning. I always thought that if developers were allowed to build as tall as they wanted everywhere, then supply would increase drastically, and the demand for for addition space to build medium height highrises with gigantic footprints would decrease. A better alternative would be to install mandatory width zoning limits, like the city did 100 years ago, such as 25-wide horizontal footprints. Of course, this would never, ever happen. Idiots would come out of the woodwork screaming about how buildings cast shadows on them and their bratty little children.

I've worn Google out trying to find more information about the Gillinder and Transit Buildings :
    I found a couple more photos of the Transit Building, apparently designed by Charles A. Rich, who also designed the Bryant Park Studios Building.

http://www.booktown.com/stcroixprints/plan.php?id=2561

http://www.booktown.com/stcroixprints/plan.php?id=2679

The Transit Building, according to Times Square and 42nd Street in Vintage Postcards, was built around 1902 and was located at 17 E42nd Street. This appears to make it on (or close to??) the north-west corner of E42nd Street at Madison Avenue, which is now occupied by the Sperry & Hutchinson Building at 330 Madison Avenue.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast