Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Hugh O'Neill Building - 655 Sixth Ave - by Henry Hardenbergh - Renov. by Cetra/Ruddy

Bravo...
    and I agree with JohnFlint, Ansonia next!!

Big Deal

Recasting Uptown

By JOSH BARBANEL
    Published: June 8, 2008

THERE comes a moment of truth in the life of every homeowner on the island of Manhattan: uptown or downtown?

655 Avenue of the Americas

For Mariska Hargitay, the actress who portrays a tough yet sensitive detective on “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit,” that moment came when her 2-year-old son, August, was admitted to an Upper East Side preschool, a long way from her duplex penthouse built around a 16 -foot gold dome atop the O’Neill Building at 655 Avenue of the Americas, between 20th and 21st Streets in Chelsea.

“All his friends live uptown,” she said, and “I work 16 hours a day.” And that does not include her time spent on behalf of the Joyful Heart Foundation, which Ms. Hargitay founded to help victims of sexual assault, domestic violence and child abuse

So Ms. Hargitay and her husband, Peter Hermann, a writer and actor who often appears in the “Law & Order” series as a defense lawyer, have been looking for an uptown address, and last week they put their 4,900-square-foot penthouse (which has more than 2,500 square feet of outdoor space) on the market for $8.25 million. It is listed with Robby Browne, a senior vice president at the Corcoran Group.

The penthouse is one of two built atop the O’Neill Building when it was converted to condominiums a few years ago. When the building was put up in the 1880s by Hugh O’Neill as a shopping emporium it had two beehive-shaped domes. They were later removed, but reconstructed during the conversion. One is the focal point of Ms. Hargitay’s apartment.

A 53-foot-long glass-walled great room looks out on the dome and the terraces, and the city beyond. It is connected to the corner dome by a narrow covered passageway through the terraces. The dome is now used as a study and media room.

The apartment has three bedrooms, including a master-bedroom suite with a private terrace on an upper level with a 14-by-13-foot-wide master bathroom and a dressing room large enough for, well, an actress. The upper level is decorated with several 1950s movie posters of Ms. Hargitay’s mother, Jayne Mansfield.

Ms. Hargitay has lived below 42nd Street almost since she took on her role as the detective Olivia Benson in 1999. In 2000 she bought a 1,600-square-foot apartment in Murray Hill in the Griffin, a prewar condo at 77 Park Avenue, at 39th Street, on the 15th floor, just below the penthouse floor.

She sold that unit in 2002 and bought a penthouse, with a private parking space in TriBeCa, at 19 Beach Street, for nearly $3 million. Last year, she sold the apartment for $5.1 million and bought the penthouse at the O’Neill Building for $7 million. Not that the price was a problem. Ms. Hargitay, who has won an Emmy award for her role, has been widely reported to be one of the highest-paid actresses in television, earning more than $7 million a season.

E-mail: bigdeal@nytimes.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/08/re...ref=realestate

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

scary how much we'll pay a fake policeman and how little we'll pay a real one

LOL

sad but true

Not a bad terrace:

I think I'd home school the kid rather than move to the Upper East Side.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

or put him in a chauffeured bentley for goodness sake.

mattron

On the right side of the image, looking down sixth, you can see the collection of towers the last boom brought us. Chelsea Stratus, Chelsea Tower, Eventi, Marriott Residence Inn, Verizon Reclad, BofA Tower.

I love this building. I hope that the empty lots nearby are developed with something decent in the next boom.

i must admit this is a beautiful restoration job. i would even save this one from the wrecking ball.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456